Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
(Mod comment: the OP posted erroneous information about the Bolt's brake lights not coming on while regening. If his Bolt does that, that is definitely not normal and should get it checked by his servicing dealer)

If you have found the paddle on the left-back side of your steering wheel, it is a regeneration braking switch and it will seriously slow down your vehicle and bring it to a stop much faster than you would normally and comfortably do using your brake pedal. It will bring your car to a very fast and complete stop. The problem is that doing so does not activate your brake lights! This is a real traffic hazard and I encourage you NOT to use it unless there is no one behind you! Likewise, when you take your foot off of the accelerator pedal, you slow down a bit faster then when an ICE car does the same. You will see the regen icon do its thing, but, again, there will be no brake light activation. When slowing down in traffic, please, at least step down on the brake pedal lightly to give the vehicle behind you a clue as to your slowing down before the car behind you is on top of you. You should not be trying to optimize regeneration unless on a long trip where every KW saved before you get to a recharge station can be critical. The Bolt EV is a long range commuter car, so if you recharge at home, the few KW and pennies saved by using the regeneration paddle is not worth getting rear-ended. I hope GM addresses this critical safety defect soon. This should require a recall.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Sure about that?

The same paddle has been around for years on the Volt, I doubt they screwed this one up. Besides I've read many other threads that talk about how the L mode regen does activate the brake light.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There's no question that the brake lights come on based on deceleration, rather than using the brake pedal. 0.3G seems to be the acknowledged acceleration rate to trigger it.

If your vehicle is not getting brake lights, then perhaps your particular vehicle has a defect and needs repair. But for the rest of us, we have verified the brake lights activate as you'd expect.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you have found the paddle on the left-back side of your steering wheel, it is a regeneration braking switch and it will seriously slow down your vehicle and bring it to a stop much faster than you would normally and comfortably do using your brake pedal. It will bring your car to a very fast and complete stop. . This should require a recall.

Slightly edited:

This switch works like a brake pedal - if you pull on it continuously, the car will quickly decelerate and stop. If you just tug on it lightly and release, it would be like tapping the brake pedal. People say it's not pressure-sensitive; I 'll check again and report.

I know for sure (checked again yesterday) that whichever method of deceleration you use (the brake pedal, the regen paddle or taking off your foot off the "gas" pedal in the one-pedal driving mode), the brake light does come on. If it doesn't, it may be a manufacturing defect, but not a design error.

·
Registered
624 Posts
i don't agree that the regen paddle is pressure sensitive. it seems like it's on or off. but, you can modulate it with the accelerator to get the appropriate amount of deceleration.

but yeah, the brake lights definitely come on when regen braking, especially if you're doing full on regen.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you have found the paddle on the left-back side of your steering wheel, it is a regeneration braking switch and it will seriously slow down your vehicle and bring it to a stop much faster than you would normally and comfortably do using your brake pedal. It will bring your car to a very fast and complete stop. The problem is that doing so does not activate your brake lights! This is a real traffic hazard and I encourage you NOT to use it unless there is no one behind you! Likewise, when you take your foot off of the accelerator pedal, you slow down a bit faster then when an ICE car does the same. You will see the regen icon do its thing, but, again, there will be no brake light activation. When slowing down in traffic, please, at least step down on the brake pedal lightly to give the vehicle behind you a clue as to your slowing down before the car behind you is on top of you. You should not be trying to optimize regeneration unless on a long trip where every KW saved before you get to a recharge station can be critical. The Bolt EV is a long range commuter car, so if you recharge at home, the few KW and pennies saved by using the regeneration paddle is not worth getting rear-ended. I hope GM addresses this critical safety defect soon. This should require a recall.
Please don't spread misinformation because you are 100% incorrect.

The brake lights activate while using the regen paddle or regen braking while in L based upon deceleration. The force required is 0.1g of deceleration and that has been confirmed by Chevrolet directly on other forums.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
The easy way to self test the brake lights is at night. whenever you either let off the gas in L, or pull the paddle, or step on the brakes, you can see the red glow of the brake lights on the rear hatch window frame. I have found my car's brake lights indeed do come on when only using the paddle.

I suspect the OP just did not realize that the brake light activation is based on G forces and not simply switched, with the exception of the brake pedal which is switched. Likely they were curious and so stood behind the car at rest while having somebody else pull the paddle. In this instance, the brake lights will not come on.

·
Registered
499 Posts
DaV8or said:
...I suspect the OP just did not realize that the brake light activation is based on G forces and not simply switched, with the exception of the brake pedal which is switched. Likely they were curious and so stood behind the car at rest while having somebody else pull the paddle. In this instance, the brake lights will not come on.
In that case, they shouldn't go all hyperbolic and tell us how unsafe our cars are, eh?? :confused:

Um, JayAndCheryl...? Are you making isht up?
Do you even own a Bolt? If so, have you tested your theory?
If you let off on the 'gas' in L mode, or if you pull the regen paddle
the car will slow down fairly rapidly, as you state.
If the deceleration is more than 0.1g, the brake lights come on.
If yours doesn't, get it to the shop ASAP.
Oh yeah... Please don't tell me not to optimize regeneration.
That's my business.

·
Registered
158 Posts
There is either something wrong with your car or you are misinformed.

There is a slight delay in activating the brake lights but once the paddle is pulled but the brake light does come on.

The best way to see it is in the rain in the dark. Your high stop lamp will reflect off the back glass through the rain droplets.

And when I say delay I mean in the slightest sense. It would be completely unnoticeable from the driver behind you.

Please have your car checked out if you feel strongly about the issue.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think the easiest way to test this is with a video clip:

FYI, the brake lights do light up in L and with regen paddle. This is an old video, and I found it when trying to confirm if the Gen 2 Volt brake lights lit up as well in L and with regen paddle (they do).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Happy about this after test driving a BMW i3 and nearly getting rear-ended. Great vid. Happy the Bolt has "one pedal driving" as I was just getting used to it :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You don't even need to film a Bolt from outside the cabin - when it's dark and no-one follows up, taken your foot off the "juice" pedal in L mode and you'll see the red glow in your rear window in a fraction of a second.

In D mode, pull the paddle = red glow.

I don't know if it's a G-sensor, or the computer sensing a rapid decrease of RPM, but the brake light works all the time in these scenarios.

When you coast with light regeneration (juice pedal off, D-mode, no brake pedal), no stop light.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Dimitrij said:
...I don't know if it's a G-sensor, or the computer sensing a rapid decrease of RPM...
It's a sensor. deceleration of 0.1g or more trigger the brake lights (in addition, of course, to the brake pedal.)

·
Registered
574 Posts
As stated in the previous responses (including the video), regen WILL activate the brake lights (unless the Bolt has a defect). However, once the Bolt reaches a complete stop using regen, the brake lights turn off. If the Bolt is on a grade (even a relatively small incline), the vehicle will roll if the brakes are not applied. So, as a courtesy to other drivers and as a safety measure, put your foot on the brake pedal after coming to a complete stop - just as a driver should do on any vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts