Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the tolerance on brake pads as I wanted to pop off my tire today and measure how much pad was left. But at only 19,000 miles on our 2017 Bolt that we typically drive with regen I guess I should expect to find some healthy pads!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Front Brakes
Brake Pad Lining Thickness - Minimum 0.118 in
Brake Pad Lining Thickness - New 0.433 in
Brake Rotor Discard Thickness 0.906 in
Brake Rotor Thickness - New 1.024 in
Rear Brakes
Brake Pad Lining Thickness - Minimum 0.063 in
Brake Pad Lining Thickness - New 0.394 in
Brake Rotor Discard Thickness 0.335 in
Brake Rotor Thickness - New 0.394 in

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
What is the tolerance on brake pads as I wanted to pop off my tire today and measure how much pad was left. But at only 19,000 miles on our 2017 Bolt that we typically drive with regen I guess I should expect to find some healthy pads!!
I've never replaced brake pads on any EV I've ever driven. I've had at least a half-dozen in twenty years, had them inspected with tire changes, and none of them ever needed it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
What about the brake fluid?
Dang, great, thanks for bringing that up.:(
I'm over due on two of my cars, one of those an EV, and the Bolt is the third car and coming up on 4 years old....

·
Registered
1,062 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Nope. RTFM.
I don't recommend relying on the manual for proper car maintenance. As I've said, my previous car would have died several times if I just followed the manual. I'll probably do the brake fluid in about 8 years and maybe the coolant and "transmission" fluid at the same time. I would expect it to last another 8 years which is probably the end-of-life for the car.

I am mostly driving in L now so I expect the brake pads to last the life of the car or close to.

Not sure if CV joints/boots will wind up being a maintenance issue or not. Some cars seem to last forever and others blow through them regularly. I won't be checking the boots at oil changes like I normally do. I guess I should now check at tire rotations, but I tend to put those off for more than I should.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts