Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my beloved Chevy Bolt EV in for its first maintenance visit at 12,000 km after almost 2 years. The tires were rotated. The full check revealed no issues. But they wanted to service my brakes. I found this funny, considering how I’ve very rarely use them as I almost always drive in L. They said there was an abnormal groove on the pad. They also said that the callipers needed to be adjusted. I am very reluctant to do the work, as I feel no issues with the breaking, and hardly ever use them.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get it checked by an independent mechanic. There was another bolt owner that was told they needed a brake service at low mileage and after checking with another mechanic the brakes were found to be in great shape. If there is an unusual wear pattern that would sound to me like a warranty issue with the bolt since the brakes are rarely ever used, or like something got caught in the brake system. I would expect you would have noticed that though through squealing brakes or when pushing on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yeah, ask for the service department manager and ask s/he knows that the Bolt is an EV. S/he should get the hint and "train" the technicians to stop BSing the Bolt owners.

·
Registered
14 Posts
p7wang I think that many of them don't have any idea. It almost wouldn't surprise me if they noticed the brakes still looking hazy and unpolished and thought there must be something wrong. EV brakes won't have wear corresponding with an ICE with equivalent mileage as we all know.

·
Registered
977 Posts
That's my point, they probably did not even look at it. It's just an item they recommend to every customer at 30k miles. The Forester I traded in, the service dept recommended air filter change which I declined and changed on my own. The next visit (only 1000 miles in-city driving), they recommended air filter change again... I took a look at the air filter and it was still brand new. Glad to NOT have to deal with Subaru again.

·
Registered
925 Posts
You can not "Adjust" calipers. The only thing abnormal is the monkey trying to
sell you a figment of his imagination. Brake service is a BS line. Don't be ripped off!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I rotated the tires on our 2017 Bolt LT for the fourth time yesterday. I checked the brakes as I pulled the wheels off. The discs, and pads are like new after 30K miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not surprising. I have looked at the brakes on other EVs and the biggest concern seems to be rust developing. There was one owner a year or so ago on the leaf forums that had to replace his brakes because they got too rusty. Hard to imagine that happening on an ICE

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is an ICE? Can't seem to find it online, I just get things like 'how to break on ice'...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny.

So, I am getting the feeling this guy was just trying to get me to spend money at the dealership. He said "there was an abnormal stripe of wear on one side," and then went into some safety stuff. My position was that as I rarely use the brakes, this must be a manufacturer's defect, and should be covered.

Should I push the point and bring it up with Chevy, finding out if the wear is normal, or a warrantee issue, or just ignore it? When I use the brakes, they feel perfectly fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would bring up the point with him and see what they say. Can't hurt. If they disagree with you, then tell him you are going to get it checked independently and if the other mechanic finds a fault then you can escalate it or report the dealer to GM.
I had a rep of Chevrolet Canada contact me after I got my bolt and ask a few questions on the car and the buying experience. When I got my car the dealership tried to sell me a BS extended 7 year warranty "to protect my investment". Warranty was $2600 CAD and covered some stuff such as AC, but you could tell it was adopted from similar warranties covering their other vehicles. They covered the electric drive unit, wiring etc. I pointed out that this was all (the drive train stuff) covered by a 5 year warranty, so I was paying a lot for hardly any coverage. The guy tried to tell me it wasn't, then went to check and came back and told me I was correct. The main thing on their warranty was the battery. I told him that was ridiculous as the battery was covered by 8 years or 160000 km, and the dealership warranty was 7 years or 100000 km. Passed all that info on to the Chevy rep and he seemed to genuinely care, and said he would investigate.

GM does give a rip about how their dealers treat customers. If they are trying to string you along, get all the proof you can and go above the dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmmm, I got the warrantee. GM Old Mills in Toronto.

Thanks for the info.
Your warranty may vary. I believe it is provided by the dealership. I just know the one offered to me would have required a lot of bad luck to be worthwhile in the slightest. And one item on there was in no way whatsoever giving me any extra coverage, and that was the big ticket item. Extending the battery to 10 years would have made sense.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Not surprising. I have looked at the brakes on other EVs and the biggest concern seems to be rust developing. There was one owner a year or so ago on the leaf forums that had to replace his brakes because they got too rusty. Hard to imagine that happening on an ICE
I "burn in" my brakes on my EV once or twice a year. (Do NOT do this when anyone is around. I tend to do it after midnight, when nobody is on the road, and the road is dry and not icy.)

I put the car in 'D', get on an expressway, get up to around 45-55 mph, check again that nobody is behind me, and hit the brakes until the car is going 10 mph. Then I do it again (speed up to 55, brake hard down to 10).

It cleans all the crap off the pads, and helps keep rust off the rotors.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Typical Mechanic BS.
The pads on these cars are thin, there is no adjustment as it is a full disk system with a electronic parking brake that mechanically actuates the caliper.

On the rare cases bringing any of my cars into the stealership for recalls/free lubes, I love how they try to sell me tires and brakes- then I tell them that I am a ASE master mechanic and can handle it myself- I put it on the lift at work and see 7/32 on the tires and 80% pad life.

Mechanics hate these cars because they simply don't wear out the "gravy" parts (tires, brakes, oil, fluid flushes, tune ups) and what fails is usually backed by warranty- which means low book time, and no "meat on the bones". Doesn't stop them from trying to sell you something you don't need.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The rotors aren't unique to the Bolt; same part number for the Cruze.

It's just a coating that helps resist rust, but won't stop it from eventually happening.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts