Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Fairly recent Bolt owner - had a question about single pedal driving in L mode

(I love it - love the regen - and do not use "Sport" even on highways)

Does the brake light work when I am using single pedal driving?

Has anyone had issues either with law enforcement (the cop car that happens to be behind you) or another driver behind you getting upset that you slowed without brake lights coming on?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Hi

Fairly recent Bolt owner - had a question about single pedal driving in L mode

(I love it - love the regen - and do not use "Sport" even on highways)

Does the brake light work when I am using single pedal driving?

Has anyone had issues either with law enforcement (the cop car that happens to be behind you) or another driver behind you getting upset that you slowed without brake lights coming on?

Thanks
Bolt activates the brake lights at a certain G force level when regening. When fully stopped in L mode, the brake light is not on as there's no deceleration to activate it. That's when you might want to put your foot on the brake for safety.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes it does however it depends ontem speed... if you are slow or come to a full stop in L, you need to step on the brakes to make sure the car behind you knows you braked. I was lucky to be invited by the engineers and designers of GM for a brainstorming session with the engineers and designers for the 2019 Model. I made sure to summarize my c0ncerns as well made a compact list of main issues mentioned by a thread in this forum. They loved the reviews and are seriously reconsidering some stuff. My first request was a full brake light function everything L is activated especially when it stops.
And yes, it became second nature to step on the brakes while in L mode and stopped at a light, for example. I did get some dirty looks and a few drivers really got upset at me in the beginning because they thought I was rolling and they almost rear ended me. Hence why stepping on the brakes became second nature.

Reactions: Dimitrij and Joule

·
Registered
36 Posts
I believe it depends on the g-force of the braking effect. If it's over a certain amount, the lights turn on. Once you stop, they go back off. This really isn't much different than driving with a manual transmission in that you could basically come to a complete stop on a manual without ever touching the brake. At least with the regenerative braking the lights come on. Just be aware that when you are stopped, the lights go back off. I usually lightly press the brake pedal to light them back up mostly because people can't seem to figure out that the car is actually stopped. :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
My first request was a full brake light function everything L is activated especially when it stops.
Great recommendation. I really enjoyed the one pedal driving in L-mode. It was one of the things I enjoyed most about the Bolt. Having the brake light come on while you are both slowing down and stopped makes good sense. Hope that gets added for 2019.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have the enhanced dash configuration enabled (the one that shows you actual kW power on the right side), the lights come on between 18-20 kW regen at speeds above 30 MPH. As you slow down, the threshold gets closer to zero. Below 10 MPH, I believe 5 kW is enough to activate them. Because of how I drive my Mitsubishi, I have a tendency to quickly take my foot completely off the pedal and push it back down when switching from motive power to regen. This isn't necessary, but it helps keep my foot calibrated on pedal travel. A side effect of this behavior is that the brake lights come on nearly instantly every time. Once stopped, the lights go out, so keep an eye on the rearview if you're not using the brake pedal to hold the car still.

At night, you can see the reflection of the top center brake light on the rear window through the mirror. Really helps to get a feel for how the system works.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think there's a regulation that doesn't allow the brake light to be on while the brake isn't actually pressed. Even if the light was on, if someone hits you, you'll go flying into the car in front of you or worse the intersection you're at. I remember reading about that right after I got the car, but I can't find the link at the moment..

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Some video "proof" if you believe it:
Note that the 2nd video shows what happens when you come to a stop in L: the brake lights turn off. This is why everyone mentions you still need to apply the brakes while in L mode at a full stop as an additional precaution warning others you are stopping/stopped.

Reactions: raitchison
1 - 8 of 8 Posts