Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the brakes engage automatically while slowing down to throw the car in reverse. This has happened a few times to me randomly and I wasn't on a slope / incline when it engaged. It seems really dangerous to me. Was wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Had a spark ev before this and didn't have a single issues.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If you attempt to shift into R while still moving forward, the brakes may engage (joltingly). I do something similar when I back down the driveway ( a downslope) and shift into D before coming to a complete stop in the street. There is a noticeable "jolt". This may not be what is happening in your situation, but I notice this much more in my EV than in my old ICE car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I was doing something wrong but this happened to me as I was pulling into my garage too. i hadn't touched the shifter either. I was just moving very slowly into my garage with the car in L. The car even had creep in L, which it isn't supposed to.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Take it in to the service dept. (I have to drive 2 hours for service at a dealer in another state, since virtually no WV Chevy Dealerships [at least within 200 miles] are carrying or servicing the Bolt!!)

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Definitely take it in. This is the first I've ever heard of this issue and Chevy will likely be interested in it. Make sure it's easily reproducible, so you can demonstrate the problem.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I thought I was doing something wrong but this happened to me as I was pulling into my garage too. i hadn't touched the shifter either. I was just moving very slowly into my garage with the car in L. The car even had creep in L, which it isn't supposed to.
Your seat belt was disconnected and the L stop is turned off and the car will apply the parking brake too. These problems are all operator error. There are safety features you are unaware of and
you CAN NOT shift this transmission like you did in other cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies everyone. I feel like such an idiot. I can't believe it was such a simple thing.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I feel like such an idiot. I can't believe it was such a simple thing.
Don't beat yourself up. This car is like no other that anyone else has ever owned. I've never had one that came to a stop all by itself before, that's for sure. It's also the most computer/software dependent car I've ever owned. It's a new era of automobile, so we all have some learning to do.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Agree. There are simple, every use little foibles which need to be learned. For instance, when stopped and planning to exit the Bolt, no need to first touch "Park", because touching "Power" turns the system off and sets "Park". Minor, but when operating a computer, it's all about saving clicks.

jack vines

·
Registered
544 Posts
Don't beat yourself up. This car is like no other that anyone else has ever owned. I've never had one that came to a stop all by itself before, that's for sure. It's also the most computer/software dependent car I've ever owned. It's a new era of automobile, so we all have some learning to do.
I second what Dav8or said. I mean that is really the whole point of this forum, to talk, learn and help each other.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts