Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister just bought a Brand new 2019 Chevy Bolt EV LT on Sep 30th. On her drive home, she felt a very strong foul smell. She thought there was a dead skunk or something. So next day she went back to dealership and all the other new cars on the lot seemed to have the same smell. Is this a normal occurrence? Is there something that can be done to solve it? Does the smell go away after a while? Is it because of the batteries? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not my first car and new car smell actually is nice. This is on the other hand is nauseous. So no one else who bought new had this smell?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
When we got ours, the usual plastic smell was there, and the fumes hazed the inside of the windshield for a month. Can't say I found it nice, but not nauseating.

Don't most really disgusting smells come from a clogged AC drain?

·
Registered
28 Posts
We bought our new Bolt 3 weeks ago. It had 6 miles on the odometer, so hadn't been driven much. No bad smells whatsoever. It does smell like a new car, which is a good thing.
(IMHO)

·
Registered
841 Posts
This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode. Getting a smell out of the car could be very difficult. If you got mold growing inside the car it may never go away.

·
Registered
431 Posts
When I picked up my new 2018 Bolt it had the normal new car smell which was not strong at all. Since all the new cars at the dealership had the same odor, I doubt there is anything wrong with your car. I suggest leaving the windows open whenever possible to let it air out.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Nothing but a mild new car smell in my 2019. After about 3 months, the new car smell is almost gone. I'd check under the hood to see if you have any stains or mouse droppings. Maybe they have a rodent problem there?

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting responses. Need to probably go sto a different dealership and see if it's different!! May be the dealer I got from had some issue or used a poor detailing shop. Anyone in SF Bay area willing to troubleshoot?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I did find my new Bolt had a stronger than average new car smell. It still smells better than a LEAF after a few years. I noticed the 2013 I recently sold had a strong old plastic smell and bought a 2016 which has the same smell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A lot of the '19 Bolts have been sitting around for a while... Mine that I bought a few weeks ago definitely had been. A noticeable mildewy smell from the AC. Disinfectant spray (Lysol, etc.) has mostly fixed it. Google for tips on where to spray, what AC settings to use while doing it, etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts