Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting for arrival of my new Bolt, hopefully soon. Question from another forum. Someone indicated that if using "one pedal breaking" the break lights do not activate unless you remove your foot from the break fully? When using the paddle shifter the break lights come on whenever it is fully depressed. Is that accurate. Seems like someone might run into you if you are using only the throttle and the break lights don't activate. Anyone know the answer.

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Cars use brakes, but some cars do break as well :)

No such thing as "one pedal braking"... it's "one pedal driving".

If you decelerate due to partially releasing the accelerator pedal and hit a certain deceleration G force value the brake lights will illuminate, no need to completely lift your foot off the accelerator pedal to activate the brake lights.

·
Registered
624 Posts
you should note that the brake light doesn't stay on once you come to a stop in L, unless you put your foot on the brake.

·
Registered
979 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
According to ChevyCustomerCare on the other forum brake lights turn on when deceleration is greater than about 0.1G
That's right. But the Bolt has no accelerometer display, so knowing the approximate deceleration trigger is fairly useless. Even better than an accelerometer would have been an on/off indicator for the brake lights. Chevy doesn't provide that either.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd say this is a pretty common question and comes pops up when you think about safety. I've had a couple of folks ask me about it and I wanted to know it myself. Part of the reason the question arises is that you can't tell when the brake lights are coming on (sitting in the driver's seat). I don't think I want yet another notification light in the instrument panel, but I'd like some knowledge in how the lights are designed to behave. For example, I didn't know that the lights do not come on when stopped in L mode. Seems like it should, but I could see the argument the other way as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It would be good for Chevrolet to put a clear explanation regard the "brake light" activation in both the L mode and the regular D mode and using the "braking paddle".

I didn't really get comfortable with the brake lights coming on as I thought they would, until I'd asked my wife to (while on our cell phones) to follow me and tell me when the lights actually came on and off during using the L mode.

I'm still not clear regarding the same using the paddle while in the D mode. Does anyone have any clear information regarding the brake lights coming on when the steering wheel paddle is used??

·
Registered
508 Posts
It would be good for Chevrolet to put a clear explanation regard the "brake light" activation in both the L mode and the regular D mode and using the "braking paddle".

I didn't really get comfortable with the brake lights coming on as I thought they would, until I'd asked my wife to (while on our cell phones) to follow me and tell me when the lights actually came on and off during using the L mode.

I'm still not clear regarding the same using the paddle while in the D mode. Does anyone have any clear information regarding the brake lights coming on when the steering wheel paddle is used??
I would also like to know that. I often stop with the regen paddle and wonder what the driver behind sees. Maybe I am a bit paranoid because I was rear ended in my previous car.:nerd:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The brake pedal has a physical switch that directly activates the brake lights.

The regen feature no matter in "L" or "D" and regardless if the regen on demand paddle is used or not used- will activate the brake lights via a preset negative G force value present on the Bolt's built-in accelerometer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would also like to know that. I often stop with the regen paddle and wonder what the driver behind sees. Maybe I am a bit paranoid because I was rear ended in my previous car.:nerd:
The answer is .4G

Try it out with your cell phone that detects how many g-forces are active on it...

·
Registered
368 Posts
The answer is .4G
0.4g (it's not G, it's g) is about 9 mph/second, which will take the car from 60 to zero in roughly 7 seconds. The Bolt does 60 to zero in 3 seconds (132 feet), which is just over 0.9g of deceleration.

So, if the answer were .4g, that would mean that the brake lights stay dark until you apply nearly half of the Bolt's fully-slammed-on braking capability (which Cehjun tells us is all the braking capability there is in regen). That would be far too late. 0.1g is a much more reasonable threshold for the brake lights.

But I've never looked at the brake light while driving...

·
Registered
508 Posts
just look in the mirror next time you're driving at night, you can tell when the central brake light is on.
I will have to give that a try. I agree that activation at .4 g seems a little high as a set point for break lights, when you can just touch the break peddle and they come on.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
0.1g seems more likely, it doesn't take much regen to activate the brake lights.

In NY you're always being tailgated... so I occasionally shoot a look up at the rearview mirror when braking- if it's a pickup or van w/a lot of chrome on the front behind me I can easily see my brake lights popping on and off as a reflection. It doesn't take much deceleration to activate them.

·
Registered
544 Posts
0.1g seems more likely, it doesn't take much regen to activate the brake lights.

In NY you're always being tailgated... so I occasionally shoot a look up at the rearview mirror when braking- if it's a pickup or van w/a lot of chrome on the front behind me I can easily see my brake lights popping on and off as a reflection. It doesn't take much deceleration to activate them.
It is 0.1g to activate the brake lights. I have seen it on a post from an official chevy representative, i'll see if I can find where it was and post a link here.

Found it. http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5905

One interesting point in that thread that is confirmed. Regen in D will not activate the brake lights, ever. Only regen from driving in L or the regen on demand paddle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd be slightly more comfortable if the brake lights stayed on when the car was in D or L and the car was not moving. Just a bit more notice to those coming up behind you that the car was stopped.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts