Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Still negotiating with dealerships to try and get into a Bolt.

But I was wondering, does the electric motor need to be "broken in" the same way an ICE needs to be? Ie: driven gently the first 500 miles or so?

Does the car need to be warmed up for a period of time before driving off in the morning?

Thx yall!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Hi everyone,

Still negotiating with dealerships to try and get into a Bolt.

But I was wondering, does the electric motor need to be "broken in" the same way an ICE needs to be? Ie: driven gently the first 500 miles or so?

Does the car need to be warmed up for a period of time before driving off in the morning?

Thx yall!
With electronics, you have a "burn in" period. So you should drive it 24/7 until you think you've gotten it broke in. Now the gearbox, that's a good question. We know that the Bolt will temperature condition the battery. I know that there's a "cooling" loop for the motor and gearbox. But not sure it will warm it up. Oil is not as viscous when cold. So on an ICE you drive slowly or even use a block heater on diesels to get it warmed up before you drive. If the Bolt doesn't warm the gearbox, it might need to be driven slowly if started really really cold.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
Really, ICE drivetrains, with all their complexity, continue to break in for thousands of miles. But, yeah going gently for the first 500-1000 miles or so is typically recommended to make sure that initial wear/seating of parts is uniformly distributed. The simplicity of an electric motor and simpler drivetrain instead of a transmission means there are a lot fewer parts to break in.

Tires need break-in, too. I've seen recommendations for tires of 100 - 400 miles, depending on manufacturer. It's a good practice for any car, even older cars when new getting replacement tires. Certainly should apply to a Bolt EV.

Reactions: GotAmpsBro

·
Registered
739 Posts
With electronics, you have a "burn in" period. So you should drive it 24/7 until you think you've gotten it broke in.
I am getting old, I completely forgot its April 1st. Thanks for this one. Really made me laugh. Now I know why everyone is walking around with iPhones stuck to their ears.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Tires, trans, and wheel bearings will have a break-in period. IIRC, mine happened about 1500 miles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just figured once I get the vehicle if I should be womping on it all over the place. I know most people drive their electric/hybrid vehicles trying to get the highest mileage as possible. But for me I'd want to take advantage of that instant torque.

My house also has solar and we produce a slight excess everyday so my charging should be largely free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts