Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FYI...During the nasty cold snap in early January, the orange spring loaded flap that covers the DC fast charging port broke off. I was simply unplugging my charger and it snapped right off. The bottom of the plug must have caught the flap when I was pulling it out.

So I took it to the dealer and they ordered parts. When I showed up for the service appointment, they had expected the repair to take a few minutes since it was just replacing a plastic flap that was easily accessible. Turns out, Chevy does not supply the flap as a separate part. They dealer has to swap out the ENTIRE charging port and associated cables. Yes, for a $5 plastic flap, they have to replace the entire charging port and wiring and have the car for a day. Seems like a crazy amount of wasted time and money for Chevy. And I'm not crazy about swapping out a perfectly working factory installed charging port for one installed by a dealer who has likely never done this work on a Bolt before. They had to reschedule the appointment and the car will be fixed Wednesday. I will report back if there are any issues.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I am completely confused. My orange plastic flap has no spring. It is a single piece of molded orange plastic held onto the charge port with a single steel pin. Removing the circlip from the pin, and replacing the orange flap would take me less than two minutes. Unless you broke the mating hinge points off the black plastic charge port, then the port would need to be replaced.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am completely confused. My orange plastic flap has no spring. It is a single piece of molded orange plastic held onto the charge port with a single steel pin. Removing the circlip from the pin, and replacing the orange flap would take me less than two minutes. Unless you broke the mating hinge points off the black plastic charge port, then the port would need to be replaced.
You are completely correct. Thanks for pointing this out so others won't be confused. In my head I thought it was spring loaded but since it has been broken for over a month, I wasn't able to see that there is no spring. Regardless, it snapped off.

I agree that it should take 2 minutes to replace. The problem is that the DC port flap is not a separate part that the dealer can order. To replace the flap, they are required to replace the entire charging port.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I agree that it should take 2 minutes to replace. The problem is that the DC port flap is not a separate part that the dealer can order. To replace the flap, they are required to replace the entire charging port.
I suspect, to get paid, they need to replace the whole thing. Maybe you could ask them nicely to just give you the parts. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nissan was similar. Couldn't just replace the plastic plug, had to replace the entire wiring assembly.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Ya know, those DC plugs are fairly thick. Maybe some rubber feet covers they use on chairs to stop them from slipping could fit.

I'd be more iffy about them just taking apart a car for a simple flap. If it (the port) ain't broke, don't fix it. Just replace the flap. Shame if replacing the entire receptacle is the only way they can charge labor hours.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I'd be more iffy about them just taking apart a car for a simple flap. If it (the port) ain't broke, don't fix it. Just replace the flap. Shame if replacing the entire receptacle is the only way they can charge labor hours.
Yup. I frankly don't see the point of it anyway. The AC contacts have no extra cover. The charger door has a rubber gasket all around it that fits against the charge port to keep stuff out. The DC contacts would be no different. There is a computer, and an SSR between the battery pack and those DC contacts, so they aren't hot. If they were, they'd have a lot more than a plastic butter tub cover between you and them. I'd just glue it back together with epoxy, and reinstall it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, I have an idea - I assume you still have the old broken part - get in touch with the local 3D printing community/makerspaces near you. They may find this an interesting, but easy print to print a new plug for you. It'd be hard to make it hinge properly like before, but at least probably can get you a plug you can push on and off snugly whenever you need to use / cover the charger.

I'm just getting into the hobby myself and just bought one and have absolutely no idea what I am doing otherwise I would offer.

·
Registered
336 Posts
On my Fiat500e, I was careless in removing the charger one day, and snapped off the cheap plastic bracket which locks the charging door in place. I had to get a replacement door, gasket AND pay for painting the new door as well: Over $350.00. I had tried to glue it on but it really needed to be replaced, as it was a lease.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I don’t think it is the orange cover that broke, but the plastic tabs to which it was pinned. This does not take away from any of the good comments/arguments/suggestions in this thread.

A similar (but different) thing happened to me. I slid off an ice-covered road (@~3 mph) ending in a ditch. NO damage, but had to be winched back onto the road using the supplied tow bolt. He first thought to pull it forward and I popped the tow-hole cover off and screwed the Bolt in (reverse threaded, in case you did not know). He saw this might damage the undersurface and wisely switched to winching backwards. I had mud in the wheels and nothing else wrong. The rear cover popped back in, but the front would not “catch” as I had broken off one of the two plastic tabs. Checked with GM parts. The rear tow eye cap is sold separately for ~$21.35. The front, round, one inch black tow hole cover is NOT sold separately, requiring you to buy the entire black front bumper piece for ~$260.61. Working on a work-around.

·
Registered
328 Posts
(...)The dealer has to swap out the ENTIRE charging port and associated cables. Yes, for a $5 plastic flap, they have to replace the entire charging port and wiring and have the car for a day. Seems like a crazy amount of wasted time and money for Chevy.(...)
You can try to source just the plastic cover from the crashed IIHS crash test cars! from theses guys at a good price... (The grey car have fast charging according to the window sticker)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've noticed that this part looks pretty shabby and I'm not surprised yours broke. Mine comes unplugged a lot when I remove the L2 plug. Then if I don't notice it, I try to close the charger door with it hanging down and that deforms it a bit.

Since yours broke, was it covered under warranty?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Anyway you could post a pic of what broke?

Are we talking about the Orange plug? Can you not still just put the plug back in and out with out it having to be attached?
If that is the case I would not bother.

Here, if you have to PAY for something to be fixed, they have to give you the old parts if you ask. If warranty then I think they don't... depending on what it is maybe?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is being repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is a pic. Not only did the flap break off, several of the pins on the left that hold the flap in place snapped off.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Here is a pic. Not only did the flap break off, several of the pins on the left that hold the flap in place snapped off.
Having glued hundreds of things back together in my life, I tell you that is no problem to fix. Take out the circlip, with a needle nose pliers, or small bladed knife, pull the pin, put epoxy on the end of the break, stick the two pieces back together, lie the flap on its back on waxed paper, wait 24 hours, and put it back on. One or two missing barbs on the two plugs is not going to prevent it from functioning. Tearing an enter quarter of the car apart to replace this is Kafkaesque.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts