Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace studs on rear wheel. Anyone who knows how long the studs are in mm? I know its m12 1,5 size.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Need to replace studs on rear wheel. Anyone who knows how long the studs are in mm? I know its m12 1,5 size.
All I could find was the part number 09599489. Some parts suppliers even had it discontinued.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First wheel rotating. The bolts was very overtorqued by dealership. So they will not touch this car again.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I have rotated the tires on our Bolt four times now. The first time I pulled them, they were crazy tight from the factory. The spec calls for 100 ft lbs, but half of mine felt stretchy at 75 ft lbs. I think they are already starting to yield.

I torque them to 75 ft lbs, and recheck them after the next two drives. By the second drive none fall below 75 ft lbs. So far, so good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have rotated the tires on our Bolt four times now. The first time I pulled them, they were crazy tight from the factory. The spec calls for 100 ft lbs, but half of mine felt stretchy at 75 ft lbs. I think they are already starting to yield.

I torque them to 75 ft lbs, and recheck them after the next two drives. By the second drive none fall below 75 ft lbs. So far, so good.
I agree, the 100 ft lbs spec is really high for 12mm wheel studs. Seems more like the torque spec for a 14mm one. I torque mine to 75-80.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
First wheel rotating. The bolts was very overtorqued by dealership. So they will not touch this car again.
Thanks for the reply. Did the studs actually fail from the overtightening or did you discover something which make you feel they might fail in use?

jack vines

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bolts was so overtorqued that the tool i was using actually bent. Studs broke while i was torquing to 100. Its ok driving with 4 of 5, but has to be repaired before next control.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Did you at least complain to the dealership? I would be jumping up and down at them showing them pictures. At the very least they should pop in new studs for you if you bring in the rotors. Maybe you can save scores of other drivers the same grief (and possibly lives). Not cool at all. Call the district manager if there is such a person. Their torque wrenches are either way out of calibration or some snot nosed kid is using the air impact driver to do the final torque. This is really, really bad!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
...or some snot nosed kid is using the air impact driver to do the final torque. This is really, really bad!
I've seen this kind of abuse at many repair facilities. As a matter of fact, I've seen them start the thread with an air impact gun.
I rotate my tires myself, 100ft/lbs seems reasonable when the studs have not been stretched to $hit by some idiot at the dealership previously.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I rotate my tires myself, 100ft/lbs seems reasonable when the studs have not been stretched to $hit by some idiot at the dealership previously.
Ditto here. I use a short burst of an impact wrench with a 100ft-lb torque stick to tighten up the nuts, then finish with a manual torque wrench. I find that the power wrench generally leaves the nuts at around 80 to 90 ft-lbs, and the manual wrench does the rest. I've never had a problem with that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Arild, I see a Norwegian flag, so maybe GM dealerships are not as common in your area. You should be able to source a stud from any aftermarket dealer, & probably the GM part is common to other smaller Chevys.
I had not changed a stud since high school, & that was drum brakes on the rear of a truck.
I broke one on a Honda Civic 2 years ago, front disc brakes, & it’s more complicated than just punching the old one out, & tapping a new one in.
with disc brakes there was not quite enough room, the head of the stud wouldn’t quite clear enough to slide into place. The manual calls for pulling the hub...PITA.
The solution is to grind a wee bit of the edge of the head, just enough so it will go in. I’m not sure if the Bolt requires this, but with discs on the rear, be prepared if you are going to DIY.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered the studs and plan to diy. Not sure if the bolt head need to be grinded, but have seen the solution you describe in a video.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts