Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have less than 3000 miles on my bolt LT. Today I noticed the front USB port wouldn't charge or connect to android auto. I switched to the 2nd USB port underneath the aux input and that one still worked OK. I reported this to Chevrolet customer assistance. My question is if anybody has had this fail yet? How long did it take the dealer to fix it?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Should be a piece of take. Others on this forum have taken apart the center console area with no issues so I think your dealership should be able to do it in an hour or two.

Main issue is waiting on parts, like any dealer visit on any other car.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Very strange behavior today the port works again. Same cable and same phone as yesterday.
Wonder if it's a power saving feature of some sort. Used to have a laptop that did this. It would power down the USB ports if they weren't being used. Required a reboot to get them working again. Now our cars are becoming too much like IT equipment. Wonder if we can get error logs to look at?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Very strange behavior today the port works again. Same cable and same phone as yesterday.
Still could be a bad USB port. Maybe some wiggling of the connector near the USB port can coax the problem out again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Bolt has the same problem with the USB ports operating properly randomly. I have an appointment at my local Chevy dealership today to assess the problem. It seems to me that the problem may be software related, rather than a hardware issue. If it were a hardware issue I would expect the ports not to operate at all, rather than randomly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Happens to me too. Not sure what causes it. But the other one always works. And then the next day no issues with either. There must be something to do with the order of plug in. Recently, I just keep USB cable plugged in and never have an issue.

Cheers,
Vince

·
Registered
70 Posts
My Bolt is back at the dealer as of today. I have had it there before with this problem and they say that they "cannot replicate." Funny... it only takes me 5 minutes to an hour in my drive to replicate this problem. The service center people are jerks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Bolt is back at the dealer as of today. I have had it there before with this problem and they say that they "cannot replicate." Funny... it only takes me 5 minutes to an hour in my drive to replicate this problem. The service center people are jerks.
Just chiming in to say I have the same problem. I thought I could solve it just by connecting my device to the USB cable before starting the car, but that doesn't work. The cable is in good condition and works when plugged in elsewhere. Does anyone have a solution?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is everyone that is having this problem sure that it is the port on the Bolt that is the problem and not lint/dirt/debris in the port on their phone? I have to clean out the port on my phone every 2-3 months because it gets lint from my pocket. Intermittent connectivity is usually the first sign that it needs to get cleaned again. I turn off the phone, scrape the port with safety pin (usually removing a chunk or two of fuzz), then turn the phone back on.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Is everyone that is having this problem sure that it is the port on the Bolt that is the problem and not lint/dirt/debris in the port on their phone? I have to clean out the port on my phone every 2-3 months because it gets lint from my pocket. Intermittent connectivity is usually the first sign that it needs to get cleaned again. I turn off the phone, scrape the port with safety pin (usually removing a chunk or two of fuzz), then turn the phone back on.

I just say "haaaaaaaaah" into my Android charge port, just like an old NES cartridge.>:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Perhaps this is why my Android Auto will not handshake and appear on the console screen but runs fine on the phone. Not a trivial problem IMO. Drives me nuts since I can not see the NAV map on the big screen and of cause like all maddening car problems intermittent and random.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I just say "haaaaaaaaah" into my Android charge port, just like an old NES cartridge.>:)
If I do that on the phone's USB port then I get this blaring "red alert" alarm tone when I plug it into the car and a pop-up message about moisture in the port...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Might have solved my handshaking problem with Android Auto. I deleted the app and reinstalled it. Since then used it 7 times with no problems.......fingers crossed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My USB ports stopped accessing my memory stick when the temps got down below 5°F. Don’t know if it was the stick or the port.

I think it was the stick.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So I definitely am in the camp that there are a multitude of issues with the Bolt's USB port. Mine was replaced by the dealership but that did not resolve my specific problem. I have had 2 different types of issues with my port. The first issue is that it occasionally stops becoming recognized at all. When this happens, it is generally remedied by doing the 2 button reboot of the console. The second problem is that it occasionally (and seemingly randomly) drops its connection from Android Auto. It then reconnects when I unplug and re-plug the device in. Now.... I say "seemingly randomly" because for the longest time, it did seem random. But I think I know exactly when it is happening now. It happens then my phone (a moto x4), has a short blip in its signal reception (or does a hand-off). This is a repeatable problem in areas where cell signal is spotty. BUT... I still put this problem back on the Bolt because I have another vehicle with AA, and the reception blips don't sever the link on that car at all. So there you have it. 2 problems, neither of which have been examined or fixed by GM. Maybe others can repeat this problem and together we can have a voice to solve it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts