Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had this happen tonight in my 5-week-old Bolt. USB had been working fine to connect my iPhone 8 via CarPlay. I drove to a rehearsal in the early evening, no problem.

When I got in my car to come home, the car wouldn’t see the phone, not even to charge, using the same cable and port. The other port worked fine.

Tonight is the first night I’ve driven the Bolt in temperatures around freezing, and it sounds like others might have had a similar experience in very cold conditions.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I drive the car in cold temps all the time, sadly, half the year. I use both USB ports. One for my phone and the other is used all the time for a dedicated MiFi I have in the car. No issues. It was 8 degree's F on the drive home tonight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am with you all...
Plugging in a USB stick with my playlists as MP3 files works fine for a while.
Then, mid song, the unit switches over to the radio last played station.
If I wait a few seconds it will kick back over to the USB once more.
This will happen a couple of times until the message, "No Data available" is displayed and I'm permanently on radio until a power cycle.
Sometimes if the USB stick is still plugged in, I start my drive with the radio and it will kick over to the stick.
Also, when USB has been locked out, I see in the source display screen that both USB ports are ghosted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just had this happen this late AM on my 2020 LT. The temp is slightly cooler than the past days but its still above 32deg F.

I have a Sandisc USB plugged in my bottom and and offical iPhone in the top.

This AM driving to work the USB music worked like normal. Then 2hr later for my break time I went in my car and the FM radio came on rather than the USB. I tried moving the USB stick to the top port and still nothing. I then returned it to the bottom port and connected my phone and it did not connect or even charge. I turned on the car and have the same results.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My ports have been a bit shaky connecting AA since I bought it. Sometimes I have to change to the alternate port. Other times it stops working while on the road. I might be able to get it going by unplugging the cable and plugging back in, but not always. Lately the connection has been getting pretty bad and I can't get it started at all. I will try a different cable, but I don't think that's it. I downloaded an Android app to my phone: "Ampere". It measures the charging amperage of the usb port. I find that the top port will range from 350 to 600 mA but intermittently goes to 0 with no charging. The lower port is mostly charging at 600 t0 1000. After 35 miles using AA today my phone was almost dead, so the charging was lower than the discharge rate. The Ampere app shows that the phone discharges at a rate of 450 mA when not plugged in and without AA running, and probably more with it running. So, I think the problem is the port. I have an Anker dual usb charger for the 12V auxiliary port, and the same cable charges the phone at 1100 mA through that ( at least when the battery is low.) So, I think the problem with AA connectivity and charging is all in the port. I'll try a couple of different cables just to be sure, but then I'll call the dealer with what I have observed with the Ampere app and the phone losing charge even while plugged in.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My theory is the car turns off the ports when you power down and then sometimes “forgets” to turn them back on again. There is no power to the ports when the car is off for a while. Push the start button (even without remote) and the ports turn on. But yes, cables can be bad too. I just chucked a 6’ lightning cable because it will not charge any more. Not even a year old.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Both of my USB ports occasionally stop working when the plug gets moved in the port.
It is kind of hard not to touch the plug at all considering that it's in the place I throw all my stuff! So I put my keys in that storage spot; they tap the plug; no Andriod Auto... I hold the plug still in position, the connection works forever; as long as it stays perfectly still.

I was tempted to get in and inspect the inside of the plug but it is the most frustrating spot to access.

Some small particles of "stuff" may have collected in the port, or the port itself may have been bent or damaged when placing an item in the storage "hole". Like putting something on top of the plug causing pins or whatever to get bent inside. I have like 7 different cables and no matter what, apple, laptop, android, etc. Same problem.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've been trying multiple USB cables I have around the house. I've found one with squarish connectors that seems to be working reliably for now. It will take time to know whether this is just a fluke or that the cable is really making a difference, but so far I've been able to connect and maintain the connection. As a backup, I have a used S5 phone without a sim card that I've loaded with the apps I want. I plug that into my Anker auxiliary port usb charger and I run AA off the cars WiFi, so I've got two AAs working at the same time when I need to rely on it. If the main one stops, the other is still working, which I've got set up in a cup phone holder. It actually works quite well since I can have a zoomed-out big picture view on the small screen and a zoomed-in view on the big screen. Or I can be looking at plugshare on the small screen while viewing AA on the big screen. So that's my setup for now. I hope the new cable solves the connectivity problem permanently.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts