Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please see following video I made of the bubbling/popping sounds I heard outside my Bolt as I was clearing snow from it:

https://youtu.be/pt-YzMzFm7I?t=50

I added more description and key points in the description. During the first precondition I didn't notice it until I finished sweeping snow off. When I stopped 1st precondition via keyfob, the boiling sounds almost immediately stopped. After looking around the Bolt and not noticing anything weird, I started the 2nd preconditioning. This is also captured in the above video and it took about 1 minute, 6 seconds from 2nd precondition start before bubbling/popping sounds started again. They continue for 30 seconds before stopping. I'm assuming the cabin and/or the battery pack is warm enough for operation after the earlier precondition and so the heating/cooling loop doesn't have to boil anymore.

There was no rain during the video but there is higher-pitch water sounds from a downspout behind me. There's also some birds and I think a car drives by. The bubbling/popping sounds are definitely coming from the Bolt, though.

Does this sound reasonable (the sounds and my rationale)? Not used to hearing sounds like that from my quiet Bolt.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
The battery heater is at the front of the battery pack down there. I have only seen battery conditioning one time on the energy info display, so far. I was driving while it happened, so couldn't hear anything. But the charging/drivetrain coolant loop is pretty noisy while charging the car. I would not be concerned, as long as the coolant level is up in the front left reservoir. I assume, if that reservoir got too low you'd see a dash message. But I would pop the hood and look, just to reassure myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts