Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
My heated seats never turn on automatically. The setting is ON in the infotainment screen. They only turn on automatically when I preheat the car. Shouldn't they turn on when I start driving and its 20 degrees outside? My 2017 Volt does and they automatically turn down as I drive-- to a lower setting. Very Nice.. why isn't my Bolt doing the same? Is mine messed up? Does anybody's Bolt turn on seat heat automatically when driving?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine turns on automatically. Although once I turn on the heated seats I can't get it back to the auto setting. When you turn on the car the heated seat icons should say auto.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you know they are *on* automatically? do the 3 red lights light up or do you just feel the heat? The auto icon is on in my car but no heat unless I manually turn them on and yes once I manually turn them on it won't go back to the auto setting until the car is shut down then back on again.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
How do you know they are *on* automatically? do the 3 red lights light up or do you just feel the heat?
Yeah, it's really hard to tell if the seat heaters are really on when they're in "Auto" mode. I think I've felt them on in "lo" mode, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I usually just override and put them in "high" until my bottom is nice and roasty and then bump them down to "medium".

·
Registered
724 Posts
There are 2 spots to turn ON the heats.
One is in the comfort convenience section and i think the other is on the AUTO section (auto lights,locks?)

I wanted then on for Pre-condition but not all the time. So I changed one of the settings, I think in the C&C, the Auto is for pre-condition... I THINK.
Don't quote me. I have not pre started it since I changed it

I had them both ON and didn't want the heat on while driving.
If it is AUTO is says so, but the 3 red buttons are not lit. I don't like that as I just look for the red lights.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
When I get in the car in 29 degree weather (like today) I don't need a reminder to turn on seat heat. Yes, I back out of the garage and cannot see the buttons while in reverse, but I am quickly reminded of how much more comfortable I would be with seat and steering wheel heating. I do not use the "auto" function as I never know how much heat I want (depends on the coat and/or slacks/jeans I wear). I just prefer to set it each time. I, too, start on "high" (three lights) and dial it back later. Plus, if waiting for my wife to join me, I can "pre-heat" her seat for extra brownie points. How would "auto" work for the front (or rear) passengers? I presume it is only for the driver's seat. (Correct me if I am wrong.) Does it, too, start on high and decide for itself how much to dial back, or does it pick a level depending on some temperature factor (OAT/IAT)?

·
Registered
57 Posts
The feedback for Auto Heated Seats is horrible in this car. In Auto Mode, it should still light up the dots. But, it doesn't. This morning, I did feel it in low. But, I would have preferred medium. Worked better in my Volt.

I think I will be turning off Auto.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I think the Auto-heated seats in the 2017 Volt also didn't indicate they were on during preconditioning. I vaguely recall that even after I sat down in the Volt, the seat heater buttons wouldn't light up to indicate what level they were at but the seats were actually warm. I just pressed the button until it was set to the level I wanted (medium).

I agree it's a weird setup and really the indicators should always indicate what level the seats are at.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
Mine turns on automatically. Although once I turn on the heated seats I can't get it back to the auto setting. When you turn on the car the heated seat icons should say auto.
Press the big auto climate control button inside the temp selector dial, that should set all features including seat heaters back to auto

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Press the big auto climate control button inside the temp selector dial, that should set all features including seat heaters back to auto
I don't think that it does. I believe I read in the owners manual that you need to turn the car off and on in order to restore auto mode for the heated seats.

Edit - yes I did read that - it's on page 59.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have never noticed that the Heated Seats have operated in Auto either during pre-heat or very cold weather. I assumed that cabin heater would need to be off in order for the heated seats to be activated automatically?

I agree that the Volt system worked better. It did show the level of the heated seats in Auto.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I agree it should, but it doesn’t.

I agree with others that when in Auto mode the seat heaters should show one, two, three, or no red lights to indicate heating status. It doesn’t.

The only way to see which auto level has been selected is to switch to manual mode, which will then show the lights.

Once in manual mode I have been unable to find any way to reset to auto, other than turning the car off and back on.

It would be logical for the seat heater control to cycle through high, med, low, off, and then auto, but I guess that logic has escaped GM.

Reactions: WattsUp

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the preferred fix is buy a '19 ;)
I don't think that will work either because our 2019 doesn't light up the dots on auto. I'm not sure it will even auto heat the seats because I don't wait to find out if they're on. I just touch the seat heaters to get to all three lights.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't think that will work either because our 2019 doesn't light up the dots on auto. I'm not sure it will even auto heat the seats because I don't wait to find out if they're on. I just touch the seat heaters to get to all three lights.
Check your settings - auto works with 2019 but the display never shows "Auto" as the 2017/2018s did. With the 2019, you see the auto set number of dots based on some temperature reading. Mine usually shows two dots on auto - can be changed any time manually to three, off or one.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Are you sure it's on Auto? If two dots are showing how can you tell if it's set to "Auto" or manually set to "medium"?
"Auto seat heating" is enabled in settings. And I never manually set it to two dots - sometimes it is 3 dots. It was very noticeable to me coming from a 2017 where it was always just displaying "Auto" unless you pressed it and then could not set it back to auto without turning the car off/on. I'm guessing functionally it is identical but I like seeing the actual heat setting in use when it is in Auto.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts