Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
RUMOR ALERT: Using the Bolt EV as a test bed. If the B-EV sales prove viable, GM will reconfigure the Bolt platform at the Orion Plant and produce a slick up-scale 4 door sedan called the Buick Electra.

Here is the Electra from fifty years ago. Now, fast forward to a Buick Electra model that looks better the Tesla 3.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Gorgeous!

A least a three-body trunk! :p

Any idea of the weight and overall length of the vehicle?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure that this is a 1963 Buick Electra 225. 401 cu in engine with a three speed automatic tranny. 221" long, 78 " wide, 57" high and a svelte 4,600 lbs. If you got in a serious wreck in this baby, they'd basically hose you off the dash board. In 1963 the US population was ~189 million, gasoline cost 30 cents/gal, Lucky Strikes cigarettes were .25 cents a pack, Dow Jones hit 767, and US life expectancy was 69.9 years.
NY-Rob - I just got your joke - that's funny. I grew up in New Jersey in the 50-60's , and a car's trunk had many uses (so did the back seat). I dated a girl in the sixties and her father confided in me that "he has a revolver and a shovel, and he knows how to use both". Back seat ? What back seat ?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ lol... yeah, you just can't say stuff like that to the boyfriends nowadays :D
Thing is... back then.... he probably wasn't kidding!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was 16 years old in 1963, and knew a guy five years older who drove a 225 convertible. Black exterior, red interior. Big as an aircraft carrier, and I loved it.

And in Essex County NJ, in 1959 in Junior High School, all the boys used to watch the Untouchables. A surprising number of boys identified with Frank Nitti and his crew, and not Eliot Ness and his crew. Many of them had "uncle Vito", "cousin Sal" and their dads were "big Tony".

All pizzerias had uniformly good pizza, as they all bought their ovens and ingredients from the Mob.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any source for this rumor? I'd be game for a Buick version of the Bolt, especially if it was a larger vehicle.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Would like to see the course for this too. Makes me think they're trying to go up against the Tesla sedan depending on the all electric range, though I doubt it'll be as fast in acceleration.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Any source for this rumor? I'd be game for a Buick version of the Bolt, especially if it was a larger vehicle.
The Buick Electra is only a rumor. However, the discontinued 2017 Buick Verano was produced at the Orion plant, the last one assembled in October 2016. The BEV Electra may be a car of the future and that's where it will remain - in the future. According to Automotive News http://tinyurl.com/llez5lr , sedans are being usurped by crossover SUV's and pickups.

Still, I suspect that if Tesla really does have hundreds of thousands of III's pre-sold, GM is cooking up a vehicle to compete directly with Tesla.

How about this Buick Rivera:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ That's definitely not your grandfathers Buick!!!

Damnnnnnnn :D

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Buick is now 100% whatever the Chinese consumer says it is. By that I mean, any new products from Buick will likely be whatever sells well there and will likely be styled there. It may not be a CUV.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Buick had a beautiful concept called the Avista a while back, if they made that into an EV and add two doors then it could be very popular.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Buick is now 100% whatever the Chinese consumer says it is. By that I mean, any new products from Buick will likely be whatever sells well there and will likely be styled there. It may not be a CUV.
Thx for the tidbit. I had missed the "GM goes big in China" new from several months back. A couple of articles :

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/10/18/gms-buick-see-sales-soar----because-china/92363996/

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2017/01/05/china/96200326/

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Yeah, the US market is now completely secondary. This is pretty much the case for all US industries. We have really done all we can to obsolete ourselves. However it's really pronounced with Buick because the brand is so popular there and here not so much.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Avista 2 door won North American Concept Car of the Year for 2016, along with a lot of consumer and critical praise. The design is absolutely gorgeous. It's built on the same underpinnings as the Camaro/ATS/CTS, known as the Alpha platform.

http://media.buick.com/media/us/en/buick/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/jul/0731-avista.html

Unfortunately, for some reason, Buick refuses to follow through and turn it into a production vehicle. Some say the demand for $50,000 near-luxury coupes just doesn't exist. Conspiracy theorists say that it's so beautiful, GM doesn't want it cannibalizing Cadillac sales.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Unfortunately, for some reason, Buick refuses to follow through and turn it into a production vehicle. Some say the demand for $50,000 near-luxury coupes just doesn't exist. Conspiracy theorists say that it's so beautiful, GM doesn't want it cannibalizing Cadillac sales.
They're right. There is very little demand for luxury coupes here. Like I said above, what does the Chinese consumer think of it? Likely not enough doors. Buick is not strong enough of a brand here to have that vehicle stand on it's own. If they built it, it might help the brand image here a little, but it would sell in tiny numbers and they would lose money on it. Sad but true. The Cadillac conspiracy is nonsense. They actually did bring a coupe to market and failed miserably with it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I thought the Chinese market was into luxury vehicles these days, the Avista certainly fits the bill and Buick just needs to market it properly. I know, it won't be happening anytime soon if ever and definitely not an EV varaint.

But one can dream... That concept is just so beautiful, feels like such a waste to let it go.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Cadillac conspiracy is nonsense. They actually did bring a coupe to market and failed miserably with it.
I think you're talking about the ELR, which was a Volt, fancied up, given an MSRP twice as high.

What they are suggesting is that given the choice of an Avista coupe or an ATS coupe (both built on Alpha), the GM loyal buyer with 50-60k to spend, would choose Avista every time.

I don't think that's such a crazy idea. If I was going to spend that much money and was loyal to GM, I'd buy the Avista in a heartbeat. I like the ATS, but it's tight interior isn't luxurious. The Avista is what a personal luxury car should be, in appearance and size.

It's like Camaro and Corvette. You can never let the Camaro out perform the Corvette, it's just not allowed. Must maintain the pecking order within the family.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I thought the Chinese market was into luxury vehicles these days, the Avista certainly fits the bill and Buick just needs to market it properly. I know, it won't be happening anytime soon if ever and definitely not an EV varaint.

But one can dream... That concept is just so beautiful, feels like such a waste to let it go.
They are into luxury, just like here. They just demand four doors, just like here. They could remake it into a four door sedan, but let's face it, four door sedans just aren't as sexy as two door coupes and don't make stunning concept cars. I suspect that styling elements of the Avista will show up on future Buick four door sedans.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts