Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
"For new plug-in electric drive motor vehicles. Amount no more than 50% of purchase price.
  • $4,000 = base amount.
  • +$3,500 for battery capacity:
    • >= 40 kWh and no more than 2.5 gallon gasoline tank capacity before January 1, 2027.
    • >= 50 kWh and no more than 2.5 gallon gasoline tank capacity after December 31, 2026."
  • 2 1/2 gallon tank with a 40kwh battery?? That would be much more EV than PHEV and a car like this doesn't exist at the moment. The Chevy VOLT had a 18.7kwh battery pack and the new Toyota Rav4 Prime is 18.1kwh with a 14 gal tank. This rule seems to defeat the purpose of a PHEV in that most people use all electric around town and then for longer trips use gas. The 2.5 gal tank seems more for backup than actual driving. What am I missing?
You still get a rebate for a PHEV, but it's limited to $4,000. That's why folks who want Rav4 Primes should buy them in 2021, if they can find them. Currently it qualifies for the full $7,500.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
You guys got me worried. I just checked the Chevy.com website. DCFC is standard on all builds and there is no Premier trim on the EV anymore, only the EUV. I also double checked my actual order and it has DCFC.
Ok, my info must have been from 2021 and prior years. I think the Bolt started out as DCFC optional for all trims, then recently (either 2020 or 2021 MY) they made it standard on only the Premier trim. I guess with the 2022s they finally made it standard across the board.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
This rule seems to defeat the purpose of a PHEV in that most people use all electric around town and then for longer trips use gas. The 2.5 gal tank seems more for backup than actual driving. What am I missing?
Seems like the rule is to eliminate PHEVs that are likely to be used without plugging in. So only those where a gasoline engine is an emergency backup (think of the BMW i3 REX but with a bigger battery) could qualify.

On the other hand, since it specifically says gasoline tank, what if a PHEV used diesel for its ICE component?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
You still get a rebate for a PHEV, but it's limited to $4,000. That's why folks who want Rav4 Primes should buy them in 2021, if they can find them. Currently it qualifies for the full $7,500.
We're somewhat in the market for one and last I checked there were no RAV4 Primes available in our area and the dealer has a waiting list should he be able to get from another dealer on the coast. Then, there would be Additional Dealer Profit and Dealer-to-Dealer shipping added on to MSRP.

jack vines

·
Registered
2021 Nightfall Gray Metallic Bolt Premier
685 Posts
I don't know if it was true or not but I did see it on the internet so it's probably true, I saw a dealer window sticker with an additional $49,000 Additional Dealer Profit on a RAV4.

·
Registered
608 Posts
"For new plug-in electric drive motor vehicles. Amount no more than 50% of purchase price.
  • $4,000 = base amount.
  • +$3,500 for battery capacity:
    • >= 40 kWh and no more than 2.5 gallon gasoline tank capacity before January 1, 2027.
    • >= 50 kWh and no more than 2.5 gallon gasoline tank capacity after December 31, 2026."
  • 2 1/2 gallon tank with a 40kwh battery?? That would be much more EV than PHEV and a car like this doesn't exist at the moment. The Chevy VOLT had a 18.7kwh battery pack and the new Toyota Rav4 Prime is 18.1kwh with a 14 gal tank. This rule seems to defeat the purpose of a PHEV in that most people use all electric around town and then for longer trips use gas. The 2.5 gal tank seems more for backup than actual driving. What am I missing?
The BMW i3 REX has a 2.4 gallon tank, that's what you're missing. It's not currently over 40kWh but odds are they might make it that way if this becomes law.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The BMW i3 REX has a 2.4 gallon tank, that's what you're missing. It's not currently over 40kWh but odds are they might make it that way if this becomes law.
The i3 is dead in the US as of August and will be going away in Europe next year. They’re not going to invest anything further in that platform.

More to the point, the odds of any large bill including EV credits clearing the Senate are exceedingly poor. So I’m really not sure why everybody is so excited…

·
Registered
608 Posts
The i3 is dead in the US as of August and will be going away in Europe next year. They’re not going to invest anything further in that platform.

More to the point, the odds of any large bill including EV credits clearing the Senate are exceedingly poor. So I’m really not sure why everybody is so excited…
It's just the example basis used for the credit. If they have to include PHEVs, it's going to just be to cover the people who really want to switch to EV but are worried about current charging infrastructure being adequate for non-local travel. They want to dissuade people from buying PHEVs and never plugging them in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

From what I understand, both Manchin and Sinema's objections are primarily on other provisions of the BBB, though Manchin doesn't like the big bonus for Union Made in the EV credit.

If the BBB passes, I'd expect there'll be a substantial EV credit, though not exactly what passed House.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,668 Posts
Yup. I'll be filing for that on my 2021 Clarity PHEV Touring, bought in April.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm in the queue for a Trade Repurchase of my 2019 Bolt. My EV concierge told me I should "build" a new Bolt and that would get my case moving to the Repurchase team. A local dealer sent in a build order number for a stripped 2022 Bolt EV LT1 with a build date of 3/22/22. My EV concierge calculated my Swap Credit at ~$28,300, so my out of pocket cost should be very small.

Any opinions on whether the new 2022 Bolt would qualify for the new (I know it's not yet passed) Federal EV credit in the BBB bill.

I thought it would, as I believe it's treated as a new sale to me with a huge credit from GM - and the IRS doesn't care how the car's paid for, just that I bought a new EV that qualifies.

Some people think that it won't be considered a "sale," just a replacement, so we won't qualify.

Thoughts?
Actually, you're buying a new car. You should be eligible. I'm not sure where the new batteries are being built, I'm assuming Korea or Japan, so you should at least qualify for the 12k, (just out the $500 for the battery being built outside the US) hopefully at point of purchase. A couple of caveats, in my mind. For one, GM just announced they weren't going to build any new Bolts until after the new year, with no specific date announced. Might be a while. Second, it's another brand new, un-tested-by-time battery pack, you're taking a big chance that they won't have problems with it. I just signed my buyback offer and am just waiting for the dealership to schedule my vehicle surrender and payment. I'm getting a model three, for several different reasons.

·
Registered
153 Posts

It will be passed by reconciliation, 50%. They just need to bend over and let Manchin and Sinema have their way with them, I think something will go through, and the EV stimulus is very popular across the board.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm sure plenty of folks are buying $80K vehicles these days however it still seems kinda like the original credit where it basically helped to buy a car from someone wealthy. All sort of people were getting away with buying a Hummer under one of the credits.

I haven't really seen how the build back better is going to put EV chargers up. Can someone explain that? How do grants work to install them? Is a grant like a student loan where you never have to pay it back and you get a good job?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I haven't really seen how the build back better is going to put EV chargers up. Can someone explain that? How do grants work to install them? Is a grant like a student loan where you never have to pay it back and you get a good job?
Charging infrastructure was in the original infrastructure bill that already passed. Details remain unclear. I'm sure they're working on how to do enough so they can brag about it and take credit for it, while not doing too much so they can ask for more money later to fix everything and make it right. Rinse and repeat forever.

EV rebates with the stupid limits are in the BBB plan.

·
Registered
2021 Nightfall Gray Metallic Bolt Premier
685 Posts
I'm sure they're working on how to do enough so they can brag about it and take credit for it, while not doing too much so they can ask for more money later to fix everything and make it right. Rinse and repeat forever..
Your bias is showing. The Republicans are against anything the Dems do.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts