Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner here and looking for a built in charger map location function? Is this part of the subscribed Navigation? I did not expect it on the Volt but certainly do on an all electric! Please tell me I am just missing it. Thank you!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Reactions: ChargePoint

·
Registered
57 Posts
New owner here and looking for a built in charger map location function? Is this part of the subscribed Navigation? I did not expect it on the Volt but certainly do on an all electric! Please tell me I am just missing it. Thank you!
The MyChevrolet app has "Energy Assist" which does this. Unfortunately, it is not available in the free version of Onstar.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you!

I have Chargpoint and Plugshare on my Phone as well as the MyChevrolet app where I see the function. I have Onstar but not Navigation. Does the MyChevrolet app energy assist show up on an actual map on the Bolt's main display if I have Navigation purchased thru Onstar?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I played around with Apple Play. Did not realize you have to have it hard connected via USB port. While the charging stations are not populated on the apple map you can ask Seri for the closest one and she will provide directions. You can not see the charger locations layout in order to chose the best one for the route or parking. Not near as nice or functional as Tesla's charging station map. It should be built into the Bolt's main display. This is very disappointing to me.

Reactions: joesmoe3

·
Registered
624 Posts
there are no built in maps, not even with onstar navigation. my understanding is that the navigation through onstar just shows up on the driver information console, not on the main display, and it's just turn by turn directions, not a map. but i think you should have a free trial of onstar navigation if you want to try it out.

so you have to use apple carplay or google android auto for all your mapping needs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The CarPlay Apple maps works well on the main display. I read where Apple has added EV charging locations to a few European maps so maybe it is coming. Nice to have it as an option. Maybe ChargePoint and Plugshare will develop Apple CarPlay apps. That might be better. Plenty of music apps on CarPlay and that is about it. Not sure why a an electric only vehicle would not have a built in charging location map. Maybe it is like the missing HomeLink buttons, GM just doesn't want to pay royalties. Well it really cheapens the brand and experience. My new visor remote looks cheap or very retro depending on your view I guess.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's annoying that Google Maps can't team up with PlugShare. I don't understand the development/app restrictions for Android Auto, but if a popular app like Waze took years to get onto Android Auto, I don't see much hope that PlugShare will. For now, I just go into PlugShare and have it load a charging spot's address into Google maps, then connect my phone to the Bolt and Android Auto will continue with your directions/destination already loaded.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is one in the myChevrolet App. This is one area where Tesla's navigation excels - they put the charging stations right on the map in the vehicle. Maybe Chevy will do that at some point.

Also check out ChargePoint and Plugshare

Chargepoint

Plugshare
Another free rout planner which you can link to a smart OBD reader.
A Better Routeplanner
unable to post the link -- url is abetterrouteplanner dot com

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is anyone completely baffled as to why Pedal Commander is spamming this blog? PS little Commander - many of us don't have a use for that technology in an electric car...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Unfortunately, it's not built in. It changes so quickly anyway that it would be nearly impossible to stay accurate, plus, we could never trust GM to be fully brand-agnostic with the chargers. After all, the MyChevrolet app would have us all eating at Applebees. The best we can hope for is Plugshare (an amazing phone app, by the way) to be ported to CarPlay and Android Auto. For now, download and use Plugshare on your smartphone. It's less than ideal, but what else can you do?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts