Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery on a new Bolt.

We have the dog (30 kg Samoyed) ride in the back cargo area. That works great to ride, but the sloping bumper is slippery and he falls when getting in or out. He had no trouble getting in and out of our Leaf.

Most cars with back lift gates have an optional bumper guard that adds a surface to protect the bumper from scratching, which also gives a dog more grip. My Subaru has this, for example.

I haven't seen this product for the Bolt. Has anyone seen such a thing?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Have you considered Plastidip? Maybe mask-out an area where a bumper guard would be and spray on 20 coats of plastidip to make it good and rugged. It probably won't be durable under paws but maybe it'll be a good trial before you lay down permanent anti skid tape?

I only suggest the plastidip cause that's it's original purpose, right? To provide grip for tools? I think they even have brush-on plastidip for thicker coats in less time (though, not as smooth looking).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, all, for these thoughts.

My goal is to both protect the bumper and help keep the dog from slipping. He can jump in on his own, but he inevitably puts a paw on the bumper.

I'm hoping for a product like the one that is on my Subaru.
The forum won't let me post a link (I guess as I'm new here) but if you search Amazon for "Genuine Subaru E771SAL000 Bumper Cover, Rear" you'll see what I mean.

Has anyone seen such a thing for the Bolt?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too am looking for such a product. I purchased one from Toyota when I bought my Prius years ago.
In getting my bike out of the back, I have already scratched my bumper a couple times.
I really want to find a semi-thick piece of rubber to sit on the bumper to protect it from heavy boxes getting dragged out of the back when the wife runs to Costco..
Does anyone know of a bumper protector provider? I google'd and didn't come up with anything except cut your own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the dealer install the transparent 3M protectant on the front of my Bolt to protect the paint from rock chips. That might be a good solution if you don't want a "Plastidip" rear bumper. It won't give Fido traction to climb into the hatch but it will prevent scratches to your clearcoat and paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Buy thin rubber tread at the hardware store and put it on with double back adhesive. You can cut and shape it nicely. 3M VHB will hold it in place for years and can be cleaned off if removed. Have one of the truck bed lining companies shoot down a defined area for a more permanent solution.

Reactions: Colt Hero
1 - 12 of 12 Posts