Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been thinking about how to market the BoltEV. It seems to me that it is the perfect car for a busy super mom. Everybody knows that EV’s are good for the environment and the reason for caring about the environment is to protect it for future generations. Who cares more about future generations than a mom. However, everybody knows the only time you have to stop for gas is when you are late for something, and busy super moms know how bad it is to be late.

With that background, here is my idea for a video advertisement.

Scene 1: A busy super mom dressed in an important looking business suit is standing beside her SUV filling it with gas on a windy rainy morning. She is obviously frustrated because she is late and keeps fidgeting, looking at her watch while making a call on her cell phone. Some text appears on the screen with some identifying information while a voice over says, “Meet Angella Torricelli, President and CEO of Immunica, mother of two children: Theresa (8) and Randy (6), a totally BUSY SUPER MOM.

The screen fades to a Chevrolet logo with the voice over, “With the Chevy BoltEV, you never have to stop for gas.”

Scene 2: Two important looking middle aged men in suites carrying brief cases show up at the reception desk at Immunica, identifying themselves as commissioners from the FDA saying they are on-time for the meeting with Ms. Torricelli [obviously an important meeting]. The receptionist informs them that, “Ms. Torricelli just phoned to say she is running a bit behind schedule because she had to stop for gas.” The men in suits look very disturbed.

The screen fades to a Chevrolet logo with the voice over, “With the Chevy BoltEV, you never have to stop for gas.”

Scene 3: A woman drives her BoltEV into the garage of her suburban ranch style home with a white picket fence and a beautifully manicured lawn. Two kids jump out of the car and begin to fight over whose turn it is to plug it in to charge. The mom resolves the dispute by letting each of them plug it in [unplugging it in between]. [This shows that it is safe enough for your children to do it — do you know anybody who lets their children fill an internal combustion engine car with gasoline?] They stroll happily into the house while the garage door closes.

The screen fades to a Chevrolet logo and the voice over, “With the Chevy BoltEV, you never have to stop for gas. Just like your cell phone, you plug it in when you get home and it recharges while you take care of your family. In the morning it will be full of energy and ready for another day just like your children after a good night’s sleep.”

Scene 4: Time lapse photography shows children outside an elementary school as cars arrive, children get in, and they drive off. Finally there are only two children left sitting on a bench. Eventually, a car drives up. As the children get in, their mom apologizes for being late because she had to stop for gas. They tell her, “Lisa and Jeff’s mom has a BoltEV and she’s never late.”

The screen fades to a Chevrolet logo with the voice over “With the Chevy BoltEV, you never have to stop for gas.”

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
As much as I appreciate the time you took to get this all down on paper. I really don't think this would be a good way to market it. The whole soccer mom thing isn't appealing especially not for something like the Bolt. The Bolt is trying to change the way people think of EVs, and changing in to make it look like a soccer mom car definitely isn't the right change.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think this was the concept for the Pacifica van, but with a dad instead. Not really what the Bolt is going for, maybe a good ad idea is for someone to take it on a road trip with friends and show them eating at a diner while it charges. Just something to show off its long electric range.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think this was the concept for the Pacifica van, but with a dad instead. Not really what the Bolt is going for, maybe a good ad idea is for someone to take it on a road trip with friends and show them eating at a diner while it charges. Just something to show off its long electric range.
GM should not go out of its way to highlight the Bolt's biggest weakness. The Bolt has less range than 99% of all cars sold, and is painfully unsuitable for road trips! Only a small percentage of potential customers care much about electric-only range, and fewer still want to take their car on a trip where they are forced to kill time during chargeups. If GM wants to sell Bolts, they should advertise the advantages, not the shortcoming.

·
Registered
110 Posts
not to sound sexist, but are there any owners so far that are female? i have not heard or seen any so far.
i think the car appeals mostly to males from the tech point of view. but all my female friends have really liked the styling so far, but don't know if they would go as far as to purchase one.
be gentle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am a woman (and a female too) and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I consider the car to belong to both me and my husband as that's how we do things in our household, but as he commutes via public transit I do most of the driving. Since two of my kids play soccer, I guess I'm a "soccer mom" :). I work full-time and commute a few days a week 160 miles round trip.

I was the one pushing for this car. My husband thinks that any car with airbags is top of the line in safety, isn't particularly green, and isn't big on cars or tech. I wanted the Bolt because I believe the EVs are the wave of the future and the right thing to do for our planet. Since I wanted the newest safety features and need a long range, the Bolt was really the only option in our price range (the Volt was too small for 5 and the visibility was awful). It took awhile to convince my husband on the Bolt vs. his plan (a 3 year old hybrid Camry or Prius) and I couldn't have done it without the tax breaks. Now he's fully on board and all of a sudden looking at ways to further reduce our footprint.

I very happy with the car so far and honestly my women friends are just as interested in checking it out as my man friends.

·
Registered
735 Posts
not to sound sexist, but are there any owners so far that are female? i have not heard or seen any so far.
i think the car appeals mostly to males from the tech point of view. but all my female friends have really liked the styling so far, but don't know if they would go as far as to purchase one.
be gentle.
If the amount of women i've seen driving Bolts, Prius', and the like was any indication of the interest women have in "green" car then odds are there will be a good chunk of them in the Bolt. The only question I have is what are the odds we'll see women on here as much as men are?

On Facebook and Instagram women might be more likely to frequent than forums.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Absolutely not. That's probably the best way to kill the image of the car, market it as a Soccer Mom car.
Agreed. The "soccer mom" image has all but killed the station wagon in America and also relegated the mini van to the "have to have because..." instead of "I want to have..." like it used to be.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Agreed. The "soccer mom" image has all but killed the station wagon in America and also relegated the mini van to the "have to have because..." instead of "I want to have..." like it used to be.
Well, the EPA calls the Bolt a station wagon, but of course real people call it a hatchback. Anybody seen a Bolt with headlight eyelashes yet? Talk about an image killer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts