Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to buy a Bolt LT and can't decide if the DC Charger is worth the money. My Bolt will be my fun/around town car ? and will not plan to take it on any long trips ( use the Lexus RX hybrid). Secondly, I will install a Level 2 charger in my garage. My only concern is "resale" value or cannot install later on if I decide I need it?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you're doing a short term lease, you could probably skip it, but if you're buying or intend to keep it 5+ years, I wouldn't get it without it. Infrastructure is being put in place nationwide that will make it more useful and common. Whether or not it will help resale at the end enough to warrant the 750 hit now is a question. Haven't used mine yet with the L2 in the garage - tried to once but couldn't get the charging station to work. Looking forward to using it sometime soon. Charging speed isn't going to decrease, I'd get it.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
If you are ever planning on reselling the Bolt, get the fast charging option. Or even if you aren't, it's a nice option to have "just in case".

Some CA dealers were discounting non-DCFC Bolts a lot more than those equipped with DCFC because they realized they weren't selling because of lack of DCFC.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You made some excellent points. And that brings up the question of cash purchase that allows me $12,500 tax credits (CO) or three year lease with no or substantial reduction in tax credits. If I buy a Bolt for say $35-36k, less the $12,500, my balance or residual begins at $23-24k. Could I drive it for 2-3 years and get say $20k when selling it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bro1999: you are spot on as discounts for Non DC are $3,200 and $2800-3000 with D.C. I think I better get the DC charger model.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I don't think you can add a DC Fast Charger to the Bolt later down the road as it's a factory installed feature. Not sure if the average dealership have the necessary tools to do that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Must get it. Going to be hard to sell it down the road without it.

Reactions: ai4px

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I got it as a "just in case, you never know" kind of thing. Kind of like opting for a spare tire. I will probably use it someday just to check it out, but I don't plan on using it much. However in the future if there are more of them sprinkled around, I might see myself topping off here and there if the rate s aren't too crazy. I intend to keep my Bolt awhile.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The option is a DC charge feature (the DC input is added below the AC input) on the charge port. It is NOT a "DC Charger". I would buy it with the Bolt EV as it adds value and allows future charging at the DC charge stations later.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I got it as a "just in case, you never know" kind of thing. Kind of like opting for a spare tire. I will probably use it someday just to check it out, but I don't plan on using it much. However in the future if there are more of them sprinkled around, I might see myself topping off here and there if the rate s aren't too crazy. I intend to keep my Bolt awhile.
Smart move, there's always the unexpected in a lot of situations and this is no different, better to be prepared when it comes to something as vital as charging options. You'll be patting yourself on the back as you see owners that regret not having it :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
get the DC Fast charger - even if you don't plan on using it - it's a wonderful feature for the car - I used this weekend to charge the car when the power was out due to someone hitting a power pole and couldn't charge the car overnight...and it will improve resell value.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with most of the other folks. Especially if you are concerned with resale value, I think you should get the Fast DC Charging option. Even if you may not use it for longer distances, the person you potentially sell it to may intend to use it that way.

·
Registered
118 Posts
And it should be a standard equipment with each Bolt sale here too, and not just for resale value or emergency power outages, but for when in the unforeseen future a long distance trip is taken.

I just completed an unplanned 1,100 mile round trip with my Bolt, no other BEV on the road (except a tesla), could reasonably attempt this, and all my cars at home are EVs. Thank You Chevy!

DC fast charger is not even an option in Canada. It comes with every vehicle.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
It seems like it may be region related as far as resale value is concerned.

None of the Bolt's on dealer lots around here have DCFC installed... because we have no DC Fast Chargers in the area!
To that end... one dealer mistakenly ordered a Premier w/the DCFC option... that Bolt has been sitting on his lot for over a month now because it's $750 higher than the other Premiers he's got and has an option no-one here can use.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
It seems like it may be region related as far as resale value is concerned.

None of the Bolt's on dealer lots around here have DCFC installed... because we have no DC Fast Chargers in the area!
To that end... one dealer mistakenly ordered a Premier w/the DCFC option... that Bolt has been sitting on his lot for over a month now because it's $750 higher than the other Premiers he's got and has an option no-one here can use.
Yeah, NY state is scorched earth as far as CCS goes. You'd figure being a CARB state they would have more, but guess not. Hopefully that changes in the near future.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yeah, NY state is scorched earth as far as CCS goes. You'd figure being a CARB state they would have more, but guess not. Hopefully that changes in the near future.
Tell me about it.....
Long Island has 7.8 million people- we have four DCFC stations! :(
Out of those four stations- three are at the far ends of the 110mi long island... with only one in the middle of the island.

The dealer who ordered the premier w/the DCFC option by mistake told me "we may have to throw in in for free" eventually.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't recommend it, for someone like you who does not plan to use quick charging. I got it only because it was on the car that was available at the time. After ~4 months and 6k miles, I've never come close to using/needing a quick charge, and I never intend to. The car is for my commute and local trips, and will never be used for long trips. Ever. No matter what. That's what gas cars are for. EV road trips are just too much of a hassle.

I don't understand the idea that adding this $750 option, will magically add $3,000 to your resale value in a few years. Most EV buyers understand that these are city/commuter cars, and are not going to pay a lot for quick charging. If you spend the $750 now, you'll be lucky to get half of that back on resale, same as with any other option.

If you'd use it, great, get the option. If not, you'd be wasting your money.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I don't recommend it, for someone like you who does not plan to use quick charging. I got it only because it was on the car that was available at the time. After ~4 months and 6k miles, I've never come close to using/needing a quick charge, and I never intend to. The car is for my commute and local trips, and will never be used for long trips. Ever. No matter what. That's what gas cars are for. EV road trips are just too much of a hassle.

I don't understand the idea that adding this $750 option, will magically add $3,000 to your resale value in a few years. Most EV buyers understand that these are city/commuter cars, and are not going to pay a lot for quick charging. If you spend the $750 now, you'll be lucky to get half of that back on resale, same as with any other option.

If you'd use it, great, get the option. If not, you'd be wasting your money.
It's more like "if you don't add the $750 option, you may cost yourself much more than that come resale time".

1 - 20 of 61 Posts