Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been leasing my 2013 Leaf and now wonder if I should lease or buy the Bolt. Any advice?

My very attractive Leaf lease resulted in my net costs for the car being around $25 bucks a month considering gas savings. I wonder what Chevy will offer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Leasing would be the only way I get the full tax credit, as I'm retired. Leasing an EV is usually better, as you get to delay the decision about whether or not to own it until after you've driven it for several years. Buying sometimes offers discounts not available for leasing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Really depends on you; do you plan to keep the Bolt for years to come?
Let's say he's not sure yet.. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a lease? How much more benefit is it buying now vs buying when the lease is up? Or returning it.

I'm in the boat that I just don't know what the future holds, but I want more bang for my buck too.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Let's say he's not sure yet.. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a lease? How much more benefit is it buying now vs buying when the lease is up? Or returning it.

I'm in the boat that I just don't know what the future holds, but I want more bang for my buck too.
Looks like initial lease deals won't be so hot...only $2,500 lease cash. Buying seems to be the better proposition....at least until GM ups the lease incentives.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Really depends on you; do you plan to keep the Bolt for years to come?
The chart posted above shows GM is using a 58% residual on a 3 year LT lease.
That means a three year old Bolt
A Bolt LT you can buy for $29,995 (effectively) will be valued at $21,747 in 3 years. My guess is that is waaaay too high.

I'll be leasing. At the end of the lease I'll offer what is fair market value IF I decide I want to purchase (more options will be available in the 2020 time frame).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the posts folks! They're helpful, but I guess we have to wait a while longer until Chevy gets its financing act together to really nail things down and figure out what works best for us as individuals.

Because I have 3 1/2 years experience with my Leaf and have experienced virtually no loss in battery storage capacity after traveling nearly 30K miles in temperate Northern California. I think it would be safe to assume the GM battery technology matches or surpasses that of Nissan's five years ago and I am far less concerned with battery deterioration than I was in 2012.

If the lease rate turns out to be above $250-275 per month, I think it probably makes sense for me to buy the car outright from the get-go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The chart posted above shows GM is using a 58% residual on a 3 year LT lease.
That means a three year old Bolt
A Bolt LT you can buy for $29,995 (effectively) will be valued at $21,747 in 3 years. My guess is that is waaaay too high.

I'll be leasing. At the end of the lease I'll offer what is fair market value IF I decide I want to purchase (more options will be available in the 2020 time frame).
"could be" too high you mean cause if it has 90+ % of its new range left, it becomes a pretty compelling deal especially when considering you can take $1000-$1500 a year in fuel savings

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bottom line. what would be the cost without taxes or CARB incentives

for 3 years, 15,000 miles a year and either $2500 or zero down or even a link to a lease calculator.

in WA so no CARB incentive, no sales tax (for most of it)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Did you by any chance look at how much Fit EV's like yours are selling for locally?
The Fit EV is a lease only and cannot be purchased (like the GM EV1, BMW Mini-e and Active-e). It is titled, maintained and insured as an American Honda Fleet vehicle.
But the lease extension lists the January 2017 value as $23,571.45 (residual from original 3 yr lease). In January 2019 it will be worth (on paper) $19,342.65.

Used ones are "selling" (re-lease) for $199/m for 2 years. Includes unlimited miles, 32 amp L2 EVSE, all maintenance, plus comp and collision insurance ($0 deductible).

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
If you lease you get effect of the 7500 instantly. If you buy it you have to wait up to a year (or more) to get the credit.
Or you can adjust your withholding so that you pay $7500 less in federal taxes over the course of the year. Or about $312 a pay check if you get paid twice a month. That's what I intend to do.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The above adjustment can only be done if there is enough taxable income to adjust. Thus of us who have modest pensions and modest savings have no choice but to lease. At least there is the option to buy afterwards, but GM is shafting us on that with the higher residuals, leaving us with 'perpetual leasing' as the only viable path. There is currently no good option for someone who wants to own a Bolt but doesn't qualify for the federal credit - and can't afford the car without it.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
The above adjustment can only be done if there is enough taxable income to adjust. Thus of us who have modest pensions and modest savings have no choice but to lease. At least there is the option to buy afterwards, but GM is shafting us on that with the higher residuals, leaving us with 'perpetual leasing' as the only viable path. There is currently no good option for someone who wants to own a Bolt but doesn't qualify for the federal credit - and can't afford the car without it.
Remember, in 3 years the federal tax credit will likely be history (at least for GM plugins). With the credit no longer available, don't be surprised to see resale values of Bolts and Volts actually increase. Probably nowhere near $7,500 but definitely should see a bump....maybe. At the worst, the credit expiring will not hurt used EV resale values.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Do you really think the prices of them will increase ? From my knowledge, limited, there hasn't been one EV that has held is value nicely, I don't think the Bolt will be any different in the 3 year span scenario.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts