Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leased a 2018 Bolt for 36 months (California), and the lease is up on Nov 1.

I got a repurchase offer letter per CA lemon law on Sept 1 & immediately responded with all required info, have made zero progress since despite them initially telling me it'd be a 2 week process.

Anyone know the implications of the lease expiring? Am I screwed if they run out the clock on me? It's been pretty irritating to continue to make lease payments (and a pending disposition fee) on an unusable car.

·
Registered
223 Posts

I got a repurchase offer letter per CA lemon law on Sept 1 & immediately responded with all required info, have made zero progress since despite them initially telling me it'd be a 2 week process.

Anyone know the implications of the lease expiring? Am I screwed if they run out the clock on me? It's been pretty irritating to continue to make lease payments (and a pending disposition fee) on an unusable car.
repurchase offer letter per CA lemon law did you file a lemon claim with an attorney ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm pretty sure once they received all the initial pictures/odometer/etc. And they approved the buyback, the clock stopped on the Lease. They will tell you to make sure you continue to keep insurance and make payments. I suspect they will be calling you for the transfer of vehicle any time now. Took 11 days for me after receiving the offer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What were you hoping to get out of GM buying you out of a lease that was done in two months anyway?
Just like with a normal buyback, I'd like to be fairly compensated for spending $$ on a car with significant and potentially life/property threatening defects. I've not been using it for the past several months, and can't park it in our garage, so have to keep it on the street, moving it periodically and still paying for the lease and insurance. It's less than useless right now.

Regardless of when the lease expires, I feel entitled to some compensation for this mess & hope Chevy makes good on it. I originally tried to just get them to take the car back early (which would have been a bad deal for me IMHO, but whatever), but no luck.

I'm pretty sure once they received all the initial pictures/odometer/etc. And they approved the buyback, the clock stopped on the Lease. They will tell you to make sure you continue to keep insurance and make payments. I suspect they will be calling you for the transfer of vehicle any time now. Took 11 days for me after receiving the offer.
I hope so - thanks. I haven't been able to get any answers about how the buyback calcs work on a lease, but I don't think it has anything to do with the time the request was made - the equation is just a pro-rated buyout based on mileage. I just can't figure out how they work it into the lease math.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why would it have been a bad deal for you to have them take the car back early? Sounds like you are looking for a windfall here rather than just compensation for lost use. I don't believe lemon laws are intended to impose punitive damages or cover pain and suffering. You obviously are hoping to get more out of this than just the lease payments for the time you felt you couldn't use it. I suspect they won't give more back than required by the lemon laws in your state.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would it have been a bad deal for you to have them take the car back early? Sounds like you are looking for a windfall here rather than just compensation for lost use. I don't believe lemon laws are intended to impose punitive damages or cover pain and suffering. You obviously are hoping to get more out of this than just the lease payments for the time you felt you couldn't use it. I suspect they won't give more back than required by the lemon laws in your state.
I'm not looking for a windfall, and never mentioned compensation for punitive damages or pain and suffering - geez. My point was that I've had a car with reduced utility for 1/3 of the term of the lease, so my original ask of turning the vehicle in 2 months early & not having to pay for those 2 months + disposition seemed like a good deal for GM (and a bad deal for me). What I'm worried about is getting screwed completely when I turn my car in. And I'm trying to figure out how they would calculate buyback on a lease.

I've asked GM to answer the lease buyback question & they sent me a bunch of info that added nothing to the original buyback offer letter - basically, "we'll calculate it and let you know". Six weeks later with no substantive new info, I'm getting nervous.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't see how you could hope for anything more than getting 3 lease payments back to your filing date. If you pay for a lawyer.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,962 Posts
I don't see how you could hope for anything more than getting 3 lease payments back to your filing date. If you pay for a lawyer.
This. In a lease, you don't own the car, the leasing company does (presumably, GM financial). You're renting.

It's like living in an apartment, and the owner did something to make the apartment unusable for your needs. You might get a refund of your rental payments from the time the problem started, but you're not going to be paid anything for the apartment itself, because you don't own it.

Put another way, most of the buyback scenarios have included a deduction for "usage" - ie, GM refunds what the person paid for the Bolt, but deducts an amount for how much the person used the vehicle. In a lease arrangement, the only thing you paid for was usage. If "What you paid for" = "Usage" then at least in theory, "What you paid for" - "Usage" = $0.

Obviously, how the lease contract is worded will matter, etc.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
158 Posts

Forum

Not trying to be a jerk, but you’re the one making your Bolt ‘unusable’, not GM. I’m following the guidelines, and yet still use my car every single day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forum

Not trying to be a jerk, but you’re the one making your Bolt ‘unusable’, not GM. I’m following the guidelines, and yet still use my car every single day.
WTF is up with this forum? Are you kidding me? I can't park my car in my garage, and can't use 50% of the battery pack. GM itself offered to buy the car back. I'm just trying to figure out how that works with a lease. So far I have heard from a bunch of people telling me that my car is fine & I should be happy with paying 100% of my lease payments for a car that's significantly impaired.

Please if you don't have anything useful to add just stay out of the discussion!

·
Registered
106 Posts
WTF is up with this forum? Are you kidding me? I can't park my car in my garage, and can't use 50% of the battery pack. GM itself offered to buy the car back. I'm just trying to figure out how that works with a lease. So far I have heard from a bunch of people telling me that my car is fine & I should be happy with paying 100% of my lease payments for a car that's significantly impaired.

Please if you don't have anything useful to add just stay out of the discussion!
Contact your bank. Find out what the payoff is.
That’s the Amount that GM will pay for the car. Then figure out how much you paid in payments. Depending on your state there may be a usage fee that goes against your settlement in a buyback. You should get back your payments, cash down.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
202 Posts
Forum

Well, I get you point but for some people is not longer usable if you follow the recommendations, if I need to be 100% every day to complete your commute, or whatever is it that people need their car for every day and you need at least x amount of miles that the car is rated for , that within itself puts you in a uncomfortable situation 🤔 you are not being a jerk for making a point but some other experts here tend to be a bit extreme with their contributions. The OP is entitled to ask and get a fair answer if someone else has a similar situation.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
158 Posts
Well, I get you point but for some people is not longer usable if you follow the recommendations, if I need to be 100% every day to complete your commute, or whatever is it that people need their car for every day and you need at least x amount of miles that the car is rated for , that within itself puts you in a uncomfortable situation 🤔 you are not being a jerk for making a point but some other experts here tend to be a bit extreme with their contributions. The OP is entitled to ask and get a fair answer if someone else has a similar situation.
I completely understand that everyone’s situation is different, and that we’re all frustrated by this recall. However, in this case, the OP is leasing a Bolt. A typical lease allows 12K miles per year. With the current restrictions (which allow us to use 60% of the battery), we can travel 150 miles on a single charge. If the OP is commuting to work 5 days a week, and is traveling further than 150 miles per day, he/she has a much bigger problem than the recall- because that adds up to over 36K miles per year. So I believe the OP was exaggerating when they said their Bolt is useless. But I digress.

My advice to the OP would be to ask GM for a refund on every lease payment they have made since the Bolt became ‘useless’. They should also request an early lease termination, or perhaps swap the Bolt for another GM vehicle (like my friend did). If that doesn’t work, they should contact a California lemon lawyer. That lawyer might be able to get GM to reimburse the OP for other expenses- such as insurance premiums and registration. Also, since the OP can’t park the Bolt in a garage, a lawyer could tell GM to shove it when they try to ding the OP for bird poop damage.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
202 Posts
I completely understand that everyone’s situation is different, and that we’re all frustrated by this recall. However, in this case, the OP is leasing a Bolt. A typical lease allows 12K miles per year. With the current restrictions (which allow us to use 60% of the battery), we can travel 150 miles on a single charge. If the OP is commuting to work 5 days a week, and is traveling further than 150 miles per day, he/she has a much bigger problem than the recall- because that adds up to over 36K miles per year. So I believe the OP was exaggerating when they said their Bolt is useless. But I digress.

My advice to the OP would be to ask GM for a refund on every lease payment they have made since the Bolt became ‘useless’. They should also request an early lease termination, or perhaps swap the Bolt for another GM vehicle (like my friend did). If that doesn’t work, they should contact a California lemon lawyer. That lawyer might be able to get GM to reimburse the OP for other expenses- such as insurance premiums and registration. Also, since the OP can’t park the Bolt in a garage, a lawyer could tell GM to shove it when they try to ding the OP for bird poop damage.
I agree, “ useless “ wasn’t the best term to be used.
Assuming that’s the term of the lease but then again , everyone situation is different, while I own my Bolt with almost 80k miles I lease the e-tron with 25k miles a year allowance, I normally drive between 23 to 24k miles a year, basically you can lease whatever amount of miles a year you want as long as you are willing to pay for it :) but I agree that most people just lease foe the 12/36 most of the time. I wish the OP the best outcome.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,962 Posts
Has anyone out there actually gone through a buyback for a lease?
I thought I remembered one poster getting a lease buyback, but I can't find it. If / when you do hear something, you could help other lessees by posting the results here.

There are a few other threads I could find specifically about leases. One was a few days ago, still waiting:

Another was a lease that was swapped for another vehicle about a month ago (MSRP swap instead of buyback):

This post in a different thread indicates that the repurchase team will ask for a copy of the lease contract, which implies the repurchase team is processing leased Bolts:

Edit:
Here's one poster who had a lease buyback 6 months ago:

Part of the difficulty is that once someone gets a buyback, they may not be motivated to participate in a Bolt forum. So there are plenty of questions, but not necessarily a lot of follow-up from people who are walking away from their Bolts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for that, MichBolt. I will post results here regardless of the outcome. FYI GM requested a copy of my lease contract as well when they sent the buyback offer.

Just a few minutes ago I got the following note from GM:

I hope you are doing well. I do apologize for the delay. I just wanted to check in with you to let you know your case is still being actively worked. We are still working on securing a host for this buyback, I do apologize this is taking longer then expected. Resolving your concern is important to us and we hope to have a response for you as soon as possible.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts