Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,965 Posts
Thanks for that, MichBolt. I will post results here regardless of the outcome. FYI GM requested a copy of my lease contract as well when they sent the buyback offer.

Just a few minutes ago I got the following note from GM:

I hope you are doing well. I do apologize for the delay. I just wanted to check in with you to let you know your case is still being actively worked. We are still working on securing a host for this buyback, I do apologize this is taking longer then expected. Resolving your concern is important to us and we hope to have a response for you as soon as possible.
Ha! That happened to someone else, too. They posted a complaint about not hearing back from their customer service rep on one of the threads, and then a few minutes later, they heard back from their customer service rep. I'd pretend that GM must be paying attention to this forum, but it's probably the opposite - the bureaucracy is running just slow enough to get people to post complaints.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
WTF is up with this forum? Are you kidding me? I can't park my car in my garage, and can't use 50% of the battery pack. GM itself offered to buy the car back. I'm just trying to figure out how that works with a lease. So far I have heard from a bunch of people telling me that my car is fine & I should be happy with paying 100% of my lease payments for a car that's significantly impaired.
My apologies for the rude behavior of my forum-mates. :)

Some people are wound a little tight about this whole ordeal, so don't take any of them personally.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
158 Posts
My apologies for the rude behavior of my forum-mates. :)

Some people are wound a little tight about this whole ordeal, so don't take any of them personally.
Since the OP’s response you quoted was originally a response to a post I had made, I feel the need to comment. I suppose I’m just a glutton for punishment 😞

I agree that a lot of Bolt owners are wound up tight regarding the recall. I used to be one of them. But as time has gone on I realized that many of us (including myself) were overreacting, and I suppose I’ve grown tired of it. We have a timeline now from GM. Things are moving forward. If you don’t want your Bolt anymore, by all means get rid of it. Everyone’s situation is different. I’ve personally decided to stick with it. But please people stop with the dramatic exaggerations- like the OP’s ‘unusable’ comment.

For the record- I did preface my original comment with ‘not trying to be a jerk’. Because I wasn’t. The OP just got upset because I didn’t directly answer his/her question, and I didn’t validate his/her feelings.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I agree that a lot of Bolt owners are wound up tight regarding the recall. I used to be one of them. But as time has gone on I realized that many of us (including myself) were overreacting, and I suppose I’ve grown tired of it. We have a timeline now from GM. Things are moving forward. If you don’t want your Bolt anymore, by all means get rid of it. Everyone’s situation is different. I’ve personally decided to stick with it. But please people stop with the dramatic exaggerations- like the OP’s ‘unusable’ comment.
Worth noting that all the things that make the Bolt 'unusable' there are the poster's choice. And there are (or were?) a number of choices - sell the vehicle, turn it in early, swap the lease, or ignore GM's recommendations and keep using it as before. You have to make the choices that are right for you, but it's important to recognize that they are your choices...

(Based on what we know so far, a MY 2018 Bolt is more likely to be in a serious accident on the road than to catch fire spontaneously in a garage).

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Since the OP’s response you quoted was originally a response to a post I had made, I feel the need to comment. I suppose I’m just a glutton for punishment 😞

For the record- I did preface my original comment with ‘not trying to be a jerk’. Because I wasn’t. The OP just got upset because I didn’t directly answer his/her question, and I didn’t validate his/her feelings.
In OP's defense, if you have a longish commute, and you are in a cold weather climate, it may soon become impossible to make your commute AND stick to GM guidance. That leaves a customer in the position of either declaring their car useless or knowingly increasing the chances of their car going up in flames. Not exactly a minor inconvenience.

In the bigger picture, I just don't feel like there is anything to be gained by attacking other people on forums. It is hard to change somebody's mind without first demonstrating you understand WHY they came to the conclusion they did.

·
Registered
219 Posts
… And there are (or were?) a number of choices - sell the vehicle, turn it in early, swap the lease, or ignore GM's recommendations and keep using it as before. You have to make the choices that are right for you, but it's important to recognize that they are your choices...
We do have choices, but for many ALL of these options stink. Ignore recommendations and potentially increase your risk vs. spend a bunch of your time to get rid of a vehicle and have to replace it in an awful buyers market. The least bad (to me at least) option of GM providing a loaner seems to be a unicorn and doesn’t do much for lessees. OP has every right to complain.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
158 Posts
Worth noting that all the things that make the Bolt 'unusable' there are the poster's choice. And there are (or were?) a number of choices - sell the vehicle, turn it in early, swap the lease, or ignore GM's recommendations and keep using it as before. You have to make the choices that are right for you, but it's important to recognize that they are your choices...

(Based on what we know so far, a MY 2018 Bolt is more likely to be in a serious accident on the road than to catch fire spontaneously in a garage).
I agree. You explained it better than I did 👍🏻

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Worth noting that all the things that make the Bolt 'unusable' there are the poster's choice. And there are (or were?) a number of choices - sell the vehicle, turn it in early, swap the lease, or ignore GM's recommendations and keep using it as before.
This is ridiculous. It's a lease so I can't sell it. They didn't allow me to turn it in early (I tried) or swap the lease.

So you're basically suggesting I shouldn't complain, I should just park the car in my garage charging overnight below my wife and my bedroom and that of my three sleeping children. Despite GM telling me not to do that.

The usability issue is around overnight parking and charging. The limited range makes it worse because charging has too be more frequent. I have to charge it in my garage during the day, and park it outside on the street. In a city with limited parking that's a huge hassle, and makes the car useless to me (in that I'd rather not have it than have it - going back to my original request that they just take the damned car and stop charging me for lease payments).

It's very weird to me that so many people on this forum seem to think I'm being unreasonable.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
158 Posts
This is ridiculous. It's a lease so I can't sell it. They didn't allow me to turn it in early (I tried) or swap the lease.

So you're basically suggesting I shouldn't complain, I should just park the car in my garage charging overnight below my wife and my bedroom and that of my three sleeping children. Despite GM telling me not to do that.

The usability issue is around overnight parking and charging. The limited range makes it worse because charging has too be more frequent. I have to charge it in my garage during the day, and park it outside on the street. In a city with limited parking that's a huge hassle, and makes the car useless to me (in that I'd rather not have it than have it - going back to my original request that they just take the damned car and stop charging me for lease payments).

It's very weird to me that so many people on this forum seem to think I'm being unreasonable.
You can charge the car elsewhere- it doesn't have to happen in your garage. I live an in apartment complex- my only options for charging have always been public.
Also, GM said not to charge the car in a garage overnight. They didn't say you should never park the car in a garage overnight (just don't do it directly after charging).
However, I completely understand why you're hesitant to do so. The safety of your family is far more important.
But please know that it sounds like you're complaining for being inconvenienced. Your Bolt is still very much usable.

Also, let's keep things in perspective- you've been leasing the car since 2018, and the lease will expire in about 2 weeks (so your misery will soon be over).
The recall restrictions were levied in August (two months ago). At worst, your use of the vehicle will be hindered for about 2-3 months. So you're not being as 'screwed' as you suggest.
Still, you are absolutely entitled to seek financial reimbursement for those 2-3 months.
If GM refused to offer you a buyback, or an early lease termination, then you should contact a lemon lawyer.
Judging by your username, it seems that you are a California resident. Lemon laws here in CA are very much in your favor. I would look into that.
I spoke to a CA lemon lawyer when this whole thing started. He told me that if GM refused to cooperate, he would get me 'everything I'm entitled to'.
I have since changed my mind about initiating a buyback or lease termination (I'm only 6 months in on a 36 month lease BTW).
The Bolt was my top choice, and it still is. There's no other EV on the market right not that can deliver the same bang for the buck (no pun intended).

Out of curiosity- since you drive a 2018 MY- what was your reaction to the first recall?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
But please know that it sounds like you're complaining for being inconvenienced. Your Bolt is still very much usable.

Out of curiosity- since you drive a 2018 MY- what was your reaction to the first recall?
I am complaining for being inconvenienced! :) I didn't buy the car with the idea of having to run around town looking for places to charge, I bought it to charge in my garage. Remember I was never asking for the moon here, just for them to take the car off my hands a few months early.

My reaction to the first recall was: "that sucks but I'm an early adopter and frankly always used Hilltop Reserve anyway". It's really the no charging in the garage thing (and also the lower SOC limit to a lesser extent) that have turned the recall from an inconvenience to a major hindrance in the usability of the vehicle. So much so that I went ahead and bought another car (Tesla M3 SR+, which is freaking amazing by the way, but 50% more $$).

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,965 Posts
The software is not a fix.
This makes me wonder - we already know that many owners did not get the original "final remedy" software update, and that in general, a significant number of owners just don't get recall services performed.

The main sticking point with this recall is the guidance to limit top and bottom state of charge, and parking outside. If the software update effectively lifts that guidance, how many owners will effectively treat the software update as a fix and not bother getting a battery replacement?

Edit: This makes me wonder if there might be an opportunity for arbitrage on the used market. Look for used Bolts (private sale or non-Chevy dealership) that never got the battery replaced, buy them, get the battery replaced (no time limit on recalls), then flip them for a profit because they have a new battery with a reset warranty.

If I'm a Chevy dealership that sells a lot of Bolts like Donohoo - I would totally look for an opportunity like this.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
158 Posts
The software is not a fix.
I know that! But it’s part of the plan of action I was referring to. Bolt owners are getting new batteries as early as tomorrow. Things are moving forward. The software is part of the process. It’s designed to detect problems- so that they can be fixed.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts