Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello Everyone.. buying my First EV 2017 Bolt Premier

I gave up on transport companies that can't give an honest quote so ..Phoneix AZ to St Cloud Mn 1600 Miles ... 3 days 9 stops? does that sound about right
Try using the Chevy trip planner and or ABRP. See what they have to say.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
you have a link?
I'm mobile using my phone so searching is a little more difficult. Here's one link.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
you have a link?
The cord issue is pretty simple. When using heavier cords, lift up on the handle to ensure the plug is properly seated. You should be able to let go after you hear a click. This is really only an issue with the heavier cables used on high-power chargers (150+ kW). I talk about the issue here:

I think three days might be a bit extreme, but you'll be learning as you go, so that could be about right. Just think, though... By the time you're home, you'll have more experience DC fast charging than a majority of EV owners. :-D

As others have stated, you might want to use route planners initially. ABRP is helpful, but very conservative. Expect to do better than all of its estimates (range, charging time, charging costs, etc.), but it will help you set a baseline.

If possible, try to find a hotel along the way that has a L2 AC charger available for guests. Being able to skip a fast charger on your last leg for the day while waking up to a full battery the next morning is extremely convenient.

You'll mostly be relying on Electrify America chargers. Be sure to set up your membership and install and set up the Electrify America app. The membership pays for itself in the first charging session. The app lets you bypass the Nayax credit card reader, which is the primary point of failure for Electrify America. If you do run into an issue charging at Electrify America, before calling in:
  1. Try the same plug again if the charger says "Available" (and possibly adjust the way you are supporting the cable)
  2. Try another charger that displays "Available"
  3. Only call Electrify America if you aren't able to get the charger working
  4. If they try to tell you to lift the cable, be assertive and say that you already have and that you simply want them to reboot a charger or initiate a session remotely
Many people will harp on about EA's reliability, but in my last ~25,000 miles of driving using dozens and dozens of EA sites, I've never made it past #2. Most of the time, the charger activates properly the first attempt.

When you use one of the route planners like ABRP, check to see all the possible charging providers and ensure that you have a membership/account set up with them ahead of time (many are free to set up) . You don't want to have to set up an account while on the road.

Either way, good luck, and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow..thats expensive ..

So If I get the pass + it will probably charge at 125KW ..60 minutes x .42 = $25 for a full tank .. 230 Miles

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Huh? The Bolt tops out at 55 kW, you pay the lowest tier. Where are you getting 125 kW?

You, um, did make sure your Bolt has DCFC, right? Otherwise this is going to take you a month.
of course I didn't I'm an EV newbie :D.. actually I did ask the sales guy and then we got sidetracked ..I'll have to call back

I was under the impression that the Bolt COULD charge at the higher rates.. sometimes I just need to leave my impressions locked away... ;)

Ok , I understand now ..Thanks

·
Registered
869 Posts
you have already received most of the same advice I would provide, one additional one is to take a look at the charge stops on plugshare.com
If you don't already have the app add it to your phone and set it for the Bolt. It will help you locate stations, displays some realrtime status for some chargers, and allows you to provide feedback and "check-in" at each stop.

Phone apps I highly recommend having installed and set up.
  • Electrify America
  • Plugshare
  • ABRP
  • ChargePoint
  • My Chevy (Load the app, add the VIN for the new Bolt)
  • EV Connect (Growing fast in NY, not sure about elsewhere)
  • EVgo

·
Registered
869 Posts
@OneEV Orange charge cover = good to go, you have DCFC. but the picture reminds me that you might want to check out the tires, I can't quite make out the brand and model. The Bolt comes with self seal tires and no spare, if you search here some add a spare tire and use different tires, but be forewarned that the tires can have a significant impact on efficiency and therefore range.

Oh, and Welcome and Congratulations!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you have already received most of the same advice I would provide, one additional one is to take a look at the charge stops on plugshare.com
If you don't already have the app add it to your phone and set it for the Bolt. It will help you locate stations, displays some realrtime status for some chargers, and allows you to provide feedback and "check-in" at each stop.

• Electrify America
  • Plugshare
  • ABRP
  • ChargePoint
  • EVgo
Thanks wonderbolt..download them all

·
Registered
2,750 Posts

• Electrify America
  • Plugshare
  • ABRP
  • ChargePoint
  • EVgo
Just to add emphasis to this. If I had to list only one app/website for EV trip planning, it would be PlugShare. It is by far the most comprehensive (community driven) interactive map of all charging stations. All of my "trip planning" (if you can even call it that) at this point is done using PlugShare in combination with Google Maps.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just to add what others have said about EA. Get their app and use it to activate a session. Their credit card readers are problematic so it's best to use the app. Open the app and locate your charger. It will say something like "unavailable" because you are already plugged in. Swipe the "switch" on the app to start the charge.
Don't hesitate to call EA if you need to. I've found them to be very helpful and I don't remember ever having to wait in a call que.
Edit: One more thing. EA (and some others) have a ChaDeMo plug on one charging station. It typically has a blue handle. It will not fit the Bolt. Use the CCS plug which is the most common one.

·
Registered
2020 Silver Ice Metallic Premier Bolt
7 Posts
I'd recomment you add a stop at the EA in Anthem on your way to Flagstaff for insurance. I'm planning a Mesa,AZ to Branson, MO trip to visit family. I usually fly, but with COVID I thought an EV trip would make my vacation more of an adventure. There's a couple of major climbs on the way to Flagstaff, so I'm adding a stop at Anthem to be safe. I may get braver as I get a feel for it, but I'm starting out on the safe side.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts