Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Northern or Southern Route.. ? Which do you think more efficient? Too me it seems like the Northern Route would be worse because I would need to drive through Denver

View attachment 30108
You'd get back a lot of what you put in to getting up to that elevation, but New Mexico is also fairly high altitude as well. Regardless, at this time, I believe you have to take the southern route. The gap between DC fast chargers in Flagstaff and Moab is 323 miles, so unless you planned to spend the night in Tuba City, AZ or Bluff, UT you'd be adding several hours to your trip using L2 AC.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
171 Posts
Too me it seems like the Northern Route would be worse because I would need to drive through Denver
Maybe true, but you gain a lot of range on the downhill stretches and the scenery is breathtaking.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Please be aware that MANY (in my experience, the vast majority) of roadside DCFC chargers are either completely offline and not available, or are screwed up to the point that it can take literally hours on the phone with tech support to get them working. That applies to all brand names out there. Don't count on any of them being available at any given time.

I'll never take my Bolt outside of the Tucson metro area where I'm within home recharging range. Maybe five years from now it will be different, but right now, at least in the Southwestern US, the Bolt isn't a road trip car.
And my experience contradicts everything you have said. I have driven my Bolt from Arkansas to the east coast (North Carolina) and far south east (Coco Beach on the Florida Atlantic coast) the gulf coast of Texas (Corpus Christi) up to Chicago, over to the mountains (Colorado City Colorado) and out to Phoenix AZ with virtually no problems other than one failed charging stop back in 2017 on our first road trip to Florida. I am planning on driving out to Chula Vista California to visit my wifes family if that state ever leaves lock down. There are areas that would be a pain the the butt to reach (southern Mississippi, gulf coast of Florida, etc.) and that I would probably take the Miata instead... but even those location are reachable with time and a plan.

Keith

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
And my experience contradicts everything you have said. I have driven my Bolt from Arkansas to the east coast (North Carolina) and far south east (Coco Beach on the Florida Atlantic coast) the gulf coast of Texas (Corpus Christi) up to Chicago, over to the mountains (Colorado City Colorado) and out to Phoenix AZ with virtually no problems other than one failed charging stop back in 2017 on our first road trip to Florida. I am planning on driving out to Chula Vista California to visit my wifes family if that state ever leaves lock down. There are areas that would be a pain the the butt to reach (southern Mississippi, gulf coast of Florida, etc.) and that I would probably take the Miata instead... but even those location are reachable with time and a plan.

Keith
Yup. My experiences pretty much mirror yours. For whatever reason, EA's chargers in Arizona in particular appear to be very unreliable. I can't say from personal experience because all of my trips out to Arizona in my Bolt EV pre-date the Electrify America network. I'd like to visit the Grand Canyon again sometime soon, but with everything that's going on, I'm sticking closer to home.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Something that seems to be missed is that the drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff is 100% uphill. Even at the lazy pace of our 55 mph, power consumption is going to be quite high on that stretch. Given my experience with ABRP, that's one stretch that I would believe their estimates. Once their road speeds started meshing with my top speed, their estimates ended up within 1 - 2 percent of my actual values. Not to the O.P. call the dealer if you still can and have them plug the car in overnight. Have that battery at every bit of 100% for that part of the drive. You will need it.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Something that seems to be missed is that the drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff is 100% uphill. Even at the lazy pace of our 55 mph, power consumption is going to be quite high on that stretch. Given my experience with ABRP, that's one stretch that I would believe their estimates. Once their road speeds started meshing with my top speed, their estimates ended up within 1 - 2 percent of my actual values. Not to the O.P. call the dealer if you still can and have them plug the car in overnight. Have that battery at every bit of 100% for that part of the drive. You will need it.
It's just over 140 miles from Glendale to Flagstaff, so even with the elevation gain, it shouldn't be an issue. I agree about leaving on a full battery, but I would expect at least 20% to 25% left in the battery by the time I arrived in Flagstaff. I drove from Needles to Williams on a single battery charge in my 2017 Bolt EV without much issue. I plugged into my motel before driving up to Lowell, but I could have made it to Flagstaff either way.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Eric, in regard your Bolt's reasonable max range, would EA charge your Bolt enough to do a comfortable 200 miles or does their system stop at 80%? I understand speed would be a major factor, so I guess if one drove at 55 mph even a 80% charge should do that range, correct?

Rich

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Hi Keith,

I use the Canadian units (kWh/100 km) which is great, but in long trips, as we all know, the more you drive, less this indice is reliable IF it isn’t reset after each charge. I never used the efficiency history for whatever reason. Thanks for the tip.
I always reset it after a charge because my "consumption limit" will be different from one stop to the next, so I need a reset to give me data for that leg of the trip. I only use this if I am limited on how much power I can use before my next charging stop.

Keith

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Eric, in regard your Bolt's reasonable max range, would EA charge your Bolt enough to do a comfortable 200 miles or does their system stop at 80%? I understand speed would be a major factor, so I guess if one drove at 55 mph even a 80% charge should do that range, correct?

Rich
I know you asked Eric, but to answer the question... any DCFC is capable of charging to 100%, but the time to charge from 80% to 100% is the same as the time to charge from near zero to 80%. So, going from near zero to 80% will take you about 1 hour... to go from 80% to 100% will take you another hour...

Range is a function of driving conditions, speed, elevation change, car loading (weight), and climate control use. Of those driving conditions (winter, rain, high winds) and speed have the largest effect on range, with elevation change averaging out over time as long as you can make it to a charging station on the uphill segments you will regain much of that lost energy on the down hill leg.

Eric is not a fan of ABRP range calculations, but they are much improved over what they used to offer... and you can add in your personal variation (weight, speed, wind etc) to make the estimate even more accurate.

Keith

·
Registered
2,750 Posts

Rich
Electrify America will charge the Bolt EV to full. I know that it's not supposed to affect DC fast charging; however, I've noticed that with Hiltop Reserve on, my Bolt EV will stop DC fast charging at 92-93%.

As for a comfortable 200 miles, that is also speed dependent. A 2017 to 2019 Bolt EV can only comfortably travel about 200 miles at freeway speeds (70+ mph) even on a full charge, so doing that between DCFC would require driving a bit slower (unless you wanted to spend an extra long time charging to full at a DCFC).

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's just over 140 miles from Glendale to Flagstaff, so even with the elevation gain, it shouldn't be an issue. I agree about leaving on a full battery, but I would expect at least 20% to 25% left in the battery by the time I arrived in Flagstaff. I drove from Needles to Williams on a single battery charge in my 2017 Bolt EV without much issue. I plugged into my motel before driving up to Lowell, but I could have made it to Flagstaff either way.
Agreed. I had noticed on their screen shot that the route was estimated to be started at 90% SOC, with the charge at 11% SOC upon reaching the stop, with the speed limited to 56 mph. It's what had me recommending to get the car to 100% charge before leaving. That extra 10% would eliminate the limitation on the speed to Flagstaff, and give them some added buffer for the hill. I'm one of those who are not keen on driving down to the -- on the distance to dead with the car begging me to stop and charge. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
The recommendation to call ahead and ask the dealer to charge to 100% is a great one. You should not assume this would occur to them without your call. When I bought my car new from a local dealer, they knew when I was coming to pick it up a couple days in advance. They were still “prepping” it when I arrived, and they plugged it in to charge when they were done, while we were doing the paperwork. Seems they had no idea it would take somewhere between 5-50 hours to charge. They handed it over with about 50% charge level, which was fine because I live 10 miles away. Just don’t assume they know what they’re selling you...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Something that seems to be missed is that the drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff is 100% uphill.
It is a net elevation gain (about 5-6K feet), but not 100% uphill. A few valleys along the way (Verde Valley for example). It is only about 140 miles, so well within Bolt range. I wouldn't be too concerned about that leg. I have driven that route hundreds of times over the years (in ICE), and there is DC charging towards the south end of Flagstaff.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The recommendation to call ahead and ask the dealer to charge to 100% is a great one. You should not assume this would occur to them without your call. When I bought my car new from a local dealer, they knew when I was coming to pick it up a couple days in advance. They were still “prepping” it when I arrived, and they plugged it in to charge when they were done, while we were doing the paperwork. Seems they had no idea it would take somewhere between 5-50 hours to charge. They handed it over with about 50% charge level, which was fine because I live 10 miles away. Just don’t assume they know what they’re selling you...
My dealer's manager laughed when we were finalizing the deal. He said, we normally send people off with a full tank, I guess we can't do that in your case.

I asked them to plug me in when we did the paperwork, all they had was L1. So, it went from 35 to 37 miles of range when I drove it off the lot. I got home (20 miles uphill) with all kinds of warnings. I have not gotten that low on charge in the 2.5 years since!

Add to the challenge, I only had L1 at home, so couldn't make my 130 mile commute for several days. Didn't help that the 12A setting didn't hold when I unplugged for a short trip to unsuccessfully charge at EVGo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’d echo that. I just did an 1100 mile road trip with a lot of preplanning and in the end charging until the GOM shows a 20mi buffer and making tracks for the next charger would have worked just as well. (Don’t follow this plan if you have a trip with a lot of variable elevation gain though 😜)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'll be Bolt only for a while so I am putting my toe in the water of long distance driving. Where I live the charging stations are few and far between, and it's disconcerting to depend on a sole charger being operative.
The trip is Midland MI to Traverse City and back within the same day.

41 - 60 of 134 Posts