Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
374 Posts
Another thing I found interesting was going through Arizona New Mexico earlier is that everyone pretty much does the speed limit maybe a little bit over but not like Minnesota where it says 75 and if you're not doing 85 everyone gets pissed at you
You are driving through the Navajo and Hopi nations. Nobody in a hurry in those parts.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Another thing I found interesting was going through Arizona New Mexico earlier is that everyone pretty much does the speed limit maybe a little bit over but not like Minnesota where it says 75 and if you're not doing 85 everyone gets pissed at you
Arizona enforces their speed laws pretty strictly. I was doing 75 mph when I was driving out to the Grand Canyon, and everyone who had been passing me by 15+ mph in California suddenly slowed down to exactly 75 mph. After that, I saw an AZ highway patrol parked in the center divide every couple of miles.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Arizona enforces their speed laws pretty strictly. I was doing 75 mph when I was driving out to the Grand Canyon, and everyone who had been passing me by 15+ mph in California suddenly slowed down to exactly 75 mph. After that, I saw an AZ highway patrol parked in the center divide every couple of miles.
Yup. Got a ticket for doing +5 in Williams once. Tourist revenue!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Never heard of Ironman tires.
Neither had I...
Can say with certainty that they appear to be a really good tire as far as low road noise and they seem pretty efficient . Range is very good....

They are all seasons..

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm in Santa Fe charging by the way I drove around downtown Santa Fe for half hour 45 minutes just checking everything out cool Little City
My only complaint with Santa Fe is, it is either very costly hotel rooms, or dirt cheap hotel rooms at inflated prices. But, the city itself is pretty cool. Too bad you don't have time to go through Taos, that is even more "authentic".

FYI, the Wagon Wheel EA stop is pretty desolate. Don't expect to do anything but sit in your Bolt for that charging stop, two gas stations and a mule. But Santa Fe to Trinidad would be pushing it, so it is kind of a necessary evil.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Slower is faster in an EV. We spend less time at chargers at our stops due to this, and you will more than make up any perceived loss in time with the shortened stops. 55 mph keeps us around 4.8 - 4.9 mi/kwh. We're heading home on our own little trip today. 633 miles, three charge stops. This will be uphill, so we'll see what the economy is.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Slower is faster in an EV. We spend less time at chargers at our stops due to this, and you will more than make up any perceived loss in time with the shortened stops. 55 mph keeps us around 4.8 - 4.9 mi/kwh. We're heading home on our own little trip today. 633 miles, three charge stops. This will be uphill, so we'll see what the economy is.
I am not sure this is always true. Yes, driving slower equals to more distance covered but at the same time, in a lot more time. And the slower we drive, the more we stay on the road.
For exemple, the difference in time between driving 55 mph and 70 mph a distance of 180 miles is about 40 minutes. This alone covers a full charging session (to 80%) for the one who drives 70 mph, so when the one who drove at a 55 mph arrives at the charger, the one who's doing 70 mph is already on his way to the next stop. The best is to find the sweet spot that gives you an optimal time for the trip.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I am not sure this is always true. Yes, driving slower equals to more distance covered but at the same time, in a lot more time. And the slower we drive, the more we stay on the road.
For exemple, the difference in time between driving 55 mph and 70 mph a distance of 180 miles is about 40 minutes. This alone covers a full charging session (to 80%) for the one who drives 70 mph, so when the one who drove at a 55 mph arrives at the charger, the one who's doing 70 mph is already on his way to the next stop. The best is to find the sweet spot that gives you an optimal time for the trip.
There are times when it's true but like you, when I know I will have to stop for a charge, and I know that I have plenty of range, I drive it like I stole it. No hypermiling. I can replenish the battery at up to 1,000 miles/hour for about 10 minutes so unless the charge rate is lower than my speed, I push the limit.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I agree though that when going slower, you don’t have to charge as much to cover the distance to the next charger. It may be even more efficient to go slower in the case of really long trips, because yes, you are longer time on the road but you charge less each time. I am not sure if this would be a good strategy on a 500 miles trip, but for a 2000 miles trip it could be more efficient. It all depends on the charging infrastructure in place in the end.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
yes I knew that I just wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be like a 10 mile construction zone you know what I'm sitting in traffic forever and it was it something wh I'm not familiar with so I just left it at 56 and cruised on..

I should be able to hit the pedal a little harder now 70 75
Keep in mind that being stuck in a traffic jam / construction zone actually improves your range since you are driving slower, totally the opposite of idling along in an ICE car that burns fuel even when sitting still.

Keith

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I agree though that when going slower, you don’t have to charge as much to cover the distance to the next charger. It may be even more efficient to go slower in the case of really long trips, because yes, you are longer time on the road but you charge less each time. I am not sure if this would be a good strategy on a 500 miles trip, but for a 2000 miles trip it could be more efficient. It all depends on the charging infrastructure in place in the end.
Unless your KW consumption rate is more than 55 KW (I don't think you hit 55 KW at even 93 mph) then the faster your drive the faster you get to your destination, including charging stops. Now, if you want to charge to 80% or more at each stop this is no longer true, but unless you are forced to do long stretches without charging, keeping the battery between 5% and 65% and driving as fast as you can without being pulled over and ticketed gets you to your destination faster than driving slow does.

Keith

·
Registered
374 Posts
I believe, as a rule of thumb, elapsed time (Drive + Charge) will typically favor driving speed limits (70-75), even if it includes additional stops. I doubted this, but have run numbers in both scenarios and it tends to come out in favor of faster speeds. There may be a few exceptions, but generally I think it holds true.

That is not to say there won't be times where slower speeds make sense. Obviously when you have to stretch range to get to the next charger, slower speeds may be necessary.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Unless your route only has 50 kW or slower chargers, the point of diminishing returns on speed in the Bolt EV doesn't occur until about 77 mph. For any car with DC fast charging, the majority of time on any road trip will be spent actually driving, so a 5% reduction in time spent driving will be far more significant than a 5% reduction in time spent charging.

I will admit, though, that perception of time also matters. If it doesn't matter to you that a 500 mile trip takes 12 hours to complete as long as it doesn't feel like like you're spending a long time stopped and charging, then going slower will feel better. It will be slower than driving 70 to 75 mph, but you'll spend less time charging and even more time driving. This is, in some ways, another form of "gas pump mentality," where the less time spent charging makes the trip feel faster, regardless of whether it actually is.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I realize at my age my reaction time has diminished compared to what it was when I was younger. Whether I am willing to admit it or not (yeh, I admit it) the data proves it. I am quite comfortable driving at 65 which is less stressful, gives me more time to react and improves efficiency. Also I enjoy driving so a few extra minutes added to my trip is no big deal.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I realize at my age my reaction time has diminished compared to what it was when I was younger. Whether I am willing to admit it or not (yeh, I admit it) the data proves it. I am quite comfortable driving at 65 which is less stressful, gives me more time to react and improves efficiency. Also I enjoy driving so a few extra minutes added to my trip is no big deal.
There is definitely something to be said for a less hurried life, and with age, i tend to fall into this pattern as well.

I have often said, trips in a Bolt are a "smell the roses" kind of thing, slower, more purposeful. If you enjoy being on the open road, a 5-10MPH slower speed will give you just that...more time to enjoy, less stress.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For me 65 mph = happy wife, happy life.

81 - 100 of 134 Posts