Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Silver Ice Metallic Premier Bolt
14 Posts
Observations

1. First of all the Bolt is an amazing vehicle! Instant torque and speed. It took me 500 miles and 1 Warning from an El Paso NM Cop to back off o_O(more on that later). The room inside the vehicle. I am 5'9" 165 and there must be 6 inches left from my head to headliner. Tall people will have no issues.

2. I am a now a master of the regen hand pedal :cool:, love that, brings the why am I braking coming up to the stop sign instead of simply regening and adding more "fuel" . If you're not using the regen pedal then you're not taking advantage of some free fuel

3. There was some post about inside cabin noise being loud, I was actually pleased with how quiet it was .

4. quality of interior parts was perfectly acceptable. Yes lots of plastic-like MOST vehicles but they some slight texture to help and the white checkerboard accents and blue trim led lights looked great and gave the car a bit more flair (for a normally stodgy GM history). really nice touch. Leather two-tone seats looked sharp and for me comfortable.

5 The single biggest issue with EVS (for long trips) is charging Times. hour + every few hundred miles is rough. I ended up skipping hotels for the last 2 days and simply catnapped at all the chargers. Battery density, battery swap higher charge rates.. something really needs to change in the next few years for the masses to find EV"s acceptable. I was ok because I knew pretty much what to expect ..and still it was too long.
Glad you made it home safely. I see that Gallup site is still down. Over the next couple of years I expect an upward shift in charge speed.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Glad to hear the trip went well!

Tires ..the Aftermarket tires are really nice. quiet all-season tire that did not seem to affect range all.

and Battery has very little degradation after 3 years. The highest charge I did was 97% and that gave me 224 miles, the leftover 3% would give me 331 total miles compared to band new 238
Just a note: The Bolt EV's Range Estimator is just that, an estimator based on conditions and driving history. It does't indicate battery health in any way. Also, the tires could still be an issue in terms of efficiency. An estimated range of 231 isn't actually that great for the Bolt EV. Maybe on pure freeway driving at 70+ mph, it's okay, but many Bolt EV owners are seeing estimated ranges of over 300 miles.

Also, you mentioned long charging times and charging to 97%. Based on my experiences, I almost never DC fast charge past 70%. I find that, most of the time, that gives me the 120 to 130 miles of range I need to make it to the next charger, and those sessions are typically 30 to 45 minutes at most, depending on battery level, charger speed, and conditions. Charging to near 100% will take hours with emphasis on the (s).

Charging Stations

Stuck with mostly Electrify America..

Terrible EXCEPT their Phoone support.

The biggest issue seems to be that they are using Microsoft Windows lol ... all kinds of software issues. and of course the connection issue with the handle ...and that IS their style of connector, I didn't have the issue with a different companies handle ..the Whit handle style.pita the Black handles worked perfectly .

Always moving from pump to pump trying to get one of them to work, which is frustrating because just adds more time to an already long process
I hear a lot of people criticizing the Microsoft Windows interface, but I never hear any suggestions for better alternative UIs. I'm curious which systems you think would be better or more stable. EVgo also uses Windows, and their chargers are far more reliable than Electrify America's.

Also, Electrify America isn't the only company that uses those plugs and cables. They are high-power CCS cables made by Huber+Suhner, and every 150 kW or faster CCS charger I know of in the United States uses them (Electrify America, EVgo, Recargo, etc.). The fault really is with the Bolt EV, which was designed with 125 A to 200 A non-liquid-cooled CCS cables in mind.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Charging stations

and that IS their style of connector, I didn't have the issue with a different companies handle ..the Whit handle style.pita the Black handles worked perfectly .
and that IS their style of connector, I didn't have the issue with a different companies handle ..the Whit handle style.pita the Black handles worked perfectly .

Always moving from pump to pump trying to get one of them to work, which is frustrating because just adds more time to an already long process
FYI someone designed a spacer for the earlier model year bolts that you can 3D print that is supposed to help with the DCFC handle connection issues:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Very Nice ..thanks guys !

View attachment 30086
Note that the charger at Gallup, NM is out of order and you will get stranded using this route and these charging times. Use Plug Share to check every charger you plan to use beforehand. You can probably make the distance from Winslow, AZ to Albuquerque if you drive slowly and have a near full charge in Winslow.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Note that the charger at Gallup, NM is out of order and you will get stranded using this route and these charging times. Use Plug Share to check every charger you plan to use beforehand. You can probably make the distance from Winslow, AZ to Albuquerque if you drive slowly and have a near full charge in Winslow.
He's already completed the trip.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Yeah, I saw that after I posted. Note to self: read all 7 pages of comments before replying. :p
Some people warned him already, I guess. I haven't specifically mapped out that trip up for myself, but it sounds like he was able to plan around it with a near full charge and going slow. I don't know if he could get away with it going the other direction, though. Hopefully, EA gets that site up soon.

Also, I'm curious to hear from the OP how long the trip actually took compared to ABRP. I'm guessing that even including charging to near full a couple of times, he still beat their estimate.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
429 Posts
Some people warned him already, I guess. I haven't specifically mapped out that trip up for myself, but it sounds like he was able to plan around it with a near full charge and going slow. I don't know if he could get away with it going the other direction, though. Hopefully, EA gets that site up soon.

Also, I'm curious to hear from the OP how long the trip actually took compared to ABRP. I'm guessing that even including charging to near full a couple of times, he still beat their estimate.
Right, he was warned, and commented that he went light on the Go pedal to reach EA in Grants (like 60 miles past Gallup). He then reported from Santa Fe and went dark for two days. But, he made it safely to MN.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree that PlugShare is probably a good first app. I usually combine several and correlate the findings. The downside of PlugShare is that it often fails to update
older sites that are no longer valid. Here in Vegas there was a company that put a bunch of portable trailers around the city with free level II charging with
advertising as their motivation. They have been out of business for several years but still show up on PlugShare. I have seen other locations when planning
trips that show negative replies for a site, but it is still on the app. I generally try to see what comments or visitor dates that are recent.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts