Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Every boat owner has heard that one. If true, it only means they bought the wrong boat. I can assure you I have had much happier days using any boat I have owned (and I've been through a few) than the day I bought it or the day I sold it.
As with dog people or cat people, some are just not boat people and some climates are just not boat climates. I've been to Syracuse, NY, which gets more snow than any major US city and wouldn't have considered it a prime boating climate, but there you are, happy with your boat, so you're a boat person, regardless of the logic.

This week, mid-June, up here in the frozen ass-end of nowhere, was cold and raining; the boat owners really got their happy days in. Our pleasure-boating season is often July 5th through the day before Labor Day. Less than two months of good boating weather and pay for that money-sucker to sit for the other ten months.

jack vines

·
Registered
558 Posts
I live in South Florida and see more boats on the water (Gulf of Meh He Co) in a day than most folks do in a year or so. I love boats but I know better than to own one. I'll stick by my 2 happiest days post. And the assertion that they bought the wrong boat is not accurate IMO.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Our season is short, but we are surrounded by tons of excellent lakes. I mostly use Oneida, which is the largest lake entirely within NYS. We also have the fingerlakes just west of here and of course Ontario just north. It's about a 90-minute drive to the 1,000 Islands. Lots to do in boats near Syracuse!

My season starts the first weekend in May, and goes into mid-October. That's 5 1/2 months. Not terrible. The shoulder seasons you just have to dress warmly. But the fishing is good, and the sailing is great!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I live in South Florida and see more boats on the water (Gulf of Meh He Co) in a day than most folks do in a year or so. I love boats but I know better than to own one. I'll stick by my 2 happiest days post. And the assertion that they bought the wrong boat is not accurate IMO.
You can stick by your post, and I will stick by mine. If the two happiest days are the day they bought and the day they sold, then either they should have bought a different boat or - more likely - none at all.

And yes, I've seen my share of boats. I've sailed off Long Island, Block Island, Newport, been to Anapolis, ... Florida isn't the only state with boats.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You can stick by your post, and I will stick by mine. If the two happiest days are the day they bought and the day they sold, then either they should have bought a different boat or - more likely - none at all.

And yes, I've seen my share of boats. I've sailed off Long Island, Block Island, Newport, been to Anapolis, ... Florida isn't the only state with boats.
Wait,what? Florida isn't the only state with boats???

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I cashed out all my comp time for the year so I could but a new boat, I'm quite happy with it and it's like anything else in the world (to differing degree's) in that it will cost money to own. I wanted to do the best I could to fix as many of he costs as I could so that's why I bought 'new' and my first 8 years are with a warranty. So, my 'hope' was that all I have are operating expenses for the first 8. I'm lucky in that I have gobs of overtime. When I get old I'm going to move out of WI and FL is one of my choices. I hit the sweet spot for retirement at 52 but there is too much overtime to bail so I'm going to keep working.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Yes, No, Maybe it's not always that the lessor actually nets the residual; often the car sells for much less. I've documented rare instances when the lessor (BMW in this case) did renegotiate the residual in favor of the lessee. I've also documented instances where the lessee had a high residual but countered with current KBB trade-in for his lease return car and was turned down. The car then went through Mannheim where it sold for $5,000 less than the lessee offered. When he asked the dealership lease manager why they'd choose to lose money like that, he was told, "The leasing company bundled your lease with hundreds of others and sold them to Chinese investors. We haven't owned your car since you signed the papers three years ago."

jack vines
You need to look at the bigger picture. There's a reason that they drive the 'off lease' cars to the auto auctions 99.9% of the time. You need to look very closely at the tax code and look at what happens to that $5,000 loss. Special interest groups have put more tax code through Congress that helps the auto industry/financial industry that the write offs are nothing short of spectacular. They don't care one bit about selling that car for residual. Nor do they expect to, if they wanted to that value would be 'reasonable'. They didn't lose a penny, I wouldn't be surprised if those in the 'know' actually shudder if someone buys their lease out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm really curious what the OP's payment is, I suspect it's on the high side. People lease Bolt's because the payment is cheap and because the tech is changing so fast. Buying these things is not the way to go. Good luck leasing a Tesla, their leases stink. The Bolt is the cheapest payment I've ever had, buying it would have doubled that payment, forget that

·
Registered
7 Posts
😢 Wrote my sales person stating that I would like to buy my Bolt when the lease is up in December but for a fair price not for the rest of the full price of the new Bolt. Also I said that I planned to wait for not too long a time for GM to build a Bolt with properties similar to a Tesla. At that point I would swap the old for the new. What looked like a standard reply came back saying that I had signed an agreement... A separate note came from the salesperson, in fact a very nice note, saying things like this is a rule and we must follow it. I have a very good feeling for the sales person.

I plan to purchase a Tesla model 3 within the next couple of days. I still really like the Bolt and will miss it.

Bob
As a few have stated you have a contract which you can buy out and not cheap. However my experience with GM and leasing is many dealers feel that grounding the vehicle ( once its off lease) to resell on their lot is a real pain and no real gain especially if its ALLY.

I actually followed my VOLT and saw it for sale in another state for way less then I would have had to pay. So, assuming that the auction price was in the toilet and the new dealer purchased it for a bit more and was still selling it for almost nothing (and it was in perfect shape. I called and the dealer. He was explaining just how perfect the car was which I knew to be true and asked if I wanted to test drive it. I would love it and he had some wiggle room too), you will not get a good price no matter.

Bottom line you're stuck on a termination before the end of the lease.

·
Registered
11 Posts
😢 Wrote my sales person stating that I would like to buy my Bolt when the lease is up in December but for a fair price not for the rest of the full price of the new Bolt. Also I said that I planned to wait for not too long a time for GM to build a Bolt with properties similar to a Tesla. At that point I would swap the old for the new. What looked like a standard reply came back saying that I had signed an agreement... A separate note came from the salesperson, in fact a very nice note, saying things like this is a rule and we must follow it. I have a very good feeling for the sales person.

I plan to purchase a Tesla model 3 within the next couple of days. I still really like the Bolt and will miss it.

Bob
Yes I had thought to do the same, but then I read about the leasing happens. The dealer sold the vehicle to the leasing company. They're done! They'll be happy to sell you another one and yes you can trade your leased vehicle in to anyone. Trouble is... if your residual is 20k and you still have to pay 5 k on your current lease, you owe 25k. When you trade it in, you may get for it less than that, so the difference gets added to your new car.
Anyway, the lease company you started with, GMF, may not hold your lease anymore. That's probably a certainty. You may not even be able to get to your holder to attempt to negotiate. If you can find out who's holding the potato and can get in touch with them, you may be able to negotiate. But that company needs to be setup for that. Usually you get a support person that can't affect the company profit. These companies are ran by a computer algorithm and that's that. They predicted what they're going to make on the loan they purchased and that's that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the car is worth less than the residual, it's a win for customer. That means the bank gets to eat the difference, not sure what the problem is, you get to move on to the next deal and the bank takes the hit.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If the car is worth less than the residual, it's a win for customer. That means the bank gets to eat the difference, not sure what the problem is, you get to move on to the next deal and the bank takes the hit.
You and I eat the difference. The whole point of the leasing game is the back end dynamics with the tax write-off's. There's a reason that end lease cars 90% of the time go straight to auction AND everytime sell for much less than what the residual or quite frankly what a reasonable fair offer would have been. They get wholesaled out the back door 2 weeks, maybe as many as 4 after you drop it off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh I'm not eating anything, it's all on GM. I pay my $130/mo for 36mo and just walk away at the end. I pay $4680 over the term plus the dispo fee unless I lease another GM. If GM didn't inflate the residual than it would be a tougher sell, they know it'll be a loss on the back end. I picked mine up in January when all the stars alined and the rebate money was maxed and the GM card offer were in play plus supplier discount (plus state tax credit of $2k)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts