Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
;)Three days short of three years, I lease returned my 2017 Bolt today. Great three year experience, I'll miss it. High $28,000 residual, new 2020 would have been more reasonable. Will consider a refreshed 2021 Bolt when available. 2019 Model 3 and 2012 Prius Plug In are my current daily drivers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
;)Three days short of three years, I lease returned my 2017 Bolt today. Great three year experience, I'll miss it. High $28,000 residual, new 2020 would have been more reasonable. Will consider a refreshed 2021 Bolt when available. 2019 Model 3 and 2012 Prius Plug In are my current daily drivers.

View attachment 29781
Why did you even need the bolt if you have 2 other awesome “daily drivers”?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
192 Posts

View attachment 29781
Such a nice color and nice tint job. Must be sad to see it go. Great little car.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Why did you even need the bolt if you have 2 other awesome “daily drivers”?
It sounds like they were one of the Bolt EV owners who leased one to tide them over for a year or so until the Model 3 was released. I'm not sure why they wouldn't ditch the PiP though, as the Bolt EV is a better car. It's probably because the PiP was paid off.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I just sold my PiP and miss it terribly. The utility was fantastic; the perfect "going on a trip" car. It was also the only vehicle I have with a hitch besides my diesel truck. Driving a Prius with trailer to the boat launch is way easier more convenient than my truck.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It sounds like they were one of the Bolt EV owners who leased one to tide them over for a year or so until the Model 3 was released. I'm not sure why they wouldn't ditch the PiP though, as the Bolt EV is a better car. It's probably because the PiP was paid off.
I had exactly the same thought when I read the post. I can see the lease end purchase price being too high, same as I observed, so I picked up a 2020 with no money down and a lower lease payment

·
Registered
439 Posts
Should have gotten rid of the Prius instead IMHO. Bolt is a far superior vehicle IMHO.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Should have gotten rid of the Prius instead IMHO. Bolt is a far superior vehicle IMHO.
If I outright owned a Model 3, a Prius plug-in, and a Bolt and had to get rid of 1, it would be the Bolt. The choice comes between the 2 EVs since they fill the same niche and neither can do long trips like the Prius. That said, I've never been in a Model 3, so maybe I'd nix it over the Bolt, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have yet to see any other electric or hybrid with a sub $200 payment like my Bolt. Can't beat it for the money. High buyout at the end means you won and GM lost, never lease to buy anyway, rarely works out

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have yet to see any other electric or hybrid with a sub $200 payment like my Bolt. Can't beat it for the money. High buyout at the end means you won and GM lost, never lease to buy anyway, rarely works out
Whoever bought the tranche of bundled leases from GMF was the loser.

·
Registered
25 Posts
OP, I’m right behind you. Will be dropping off my 2017 Premiere in a couple of weeks. Really liked the car. 100% trouble free for 3 years and 40k miles.

I really wanted an updated Bolt or Bolt SUV but obviously not this year. I went ahead and ordered two Tesla Model Y’s, one for me, one for my wife. We hope to take delivery this month. Neat car. Hope it holds up as well as the Bolt!!

·
Registered
2019 Premier - Summit White
3 Posts

View attachment 29781
What degree tint are your windows?

·
Registered
16 Posts
$28k is too high for residual! Leasing is a huge mistake! Pay for the car, then at lease end, you've the opportunity to buy it again... Only a slight exaggeration to make a point.
My 2019 LT (Pikes Peak in background) with DCFC with all the dealer clearance and GM deals, plus being a new electric car qualified for Colorado $5k rebate = $20,692 actual
20200703_140707.jpg
price (before tax and tags)
Shop hard! Leasing is foolish.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Shop hard! Leasing is foolish.
Welcome to the forum. Great advice. Bought mine back in 2017. Have never leased a vehicle. But, even buying a new car is bad money management because of the depreciation. Now, buying a used Bolt/car is a great idea. That's where leasing has produced a viable used car market for people that were willing to wait. But with some hard shopping, it is interesting that people are getting new Bolts for almost the same price as used. Well done.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great advice. Bought mine back in 2017. Have never leased a vehicle. But, even buying a new car is bad money management because of the depreciation. Now, buying a used Bolt/car is a great idea.
Same here. At my age, if I had been confident in 2017 that I would still be alive today, I would have waited for a used Bolt.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great advice. Bought mine back in 2017. Have never leased a vehicle. But, even buying a new car is bad money management because of the depreciation. Now, buying a used Bolt/car is a great idea. That's where leasing has produced a viable used car market for people that were willing to wait. But with some hard shopping, it is interesting that people are getting new Bolts for almost the same price as used. Well done.
In general, I agree - buying new is less economical than buying used. But there is such a thing as opportunity cost, especially with new technologies.

Knowing what I know now, I wish I'd gone ahead and bought at the beginning (end of 2016), rather than waiting around until March 2019 for the prices to drop. I would have saved around $5k in fuel costs, plus a full set of tires, a radiator and half a dozen oil changes on my prior car. I think technically I came out ahead (price drop of almost $8k), but it certainly wasn't a huge saving, and I missed out on 2 1/4 years of driving a better more interesting vehicle.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you know that you will trade in three years, leasing is definitely NOT foolish. How many people would have gotten their $28,000 residual value as a trade-in value? None.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
leasing is definitely NOT foolish
especially for some that have run the numbers and basically drive their car for free. with all the deals and incentives out there, factor in the avoided fuel costs of an existing vehicle, some have determined that their lease is costing them nothing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts