Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
To be fair, you'd put wear on your tires either way...
Yeah, but the Bolt came with new tires, so getting the Bolt would have postponed that expense by at least a couple of years.

In theory there are a bunch of Bolts now coming off lease, so the secondhand market should finally be starting to move, but so far I've not seen anything very exciting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow, thanks for the considered replies! Every one seems to have missed - my brand new Bolt LT, with DCFC and <20 miles was $20692.00.
Cash talks, leasing is foolish, used EVs do not get the $5000.00 state tax credit, leasees do not get the $5000.00 state tax credit (the dealer gets it on a leased car).
Leases are a waste of money.
My new Bolt was 5 to 8,000 bucks cheaper than used! - and I get to treat my battery correctly (80%) charge, max, unless driving off immediately, then 90% - from new!
New is far less expensive than used, or leasing - if you are, admittedly, lucky, shop hard and get the rebates that only apply to new, owned cars!

·
Registered
30 Posts
rant/

Same old cringey bogus myths here as everywhere else thought you guys were better. People sh1talking leases clearly haven't ever done one or sat down and crunched the numbers. For some demographics (like me hardly ever driving more than 7kmi a year) it's a no brainer. In 3 years time I will have given GM about 5k less of my own money vs financing even in the most favorable terms/rebates/0 downs (dont ask me to show you the math cuz i tossed that paper away). Month to month leasing is almost always cheaper. And the vast majority of dealers will cut you a h3ll (f you prudish fundy censorship) of a deal if you come back and continue the lease on another car.

BuT YuO DonT OwN It: so fvcking what. you don't own a financed vehicle either. The only car you own is one you paid cash/paid off.

But YoU dOn'T bUiLd EquItY aNd aRe onLY paYing fOr DePReciaTioN: so fvckign what. I could argue it's more of waste to pay more upfront in cash to then have that value go to sh!t the moment you drive off the lot. A car is nothing more than a tool to get you from A to B and to go see your side piece behind your wife's back. It's never an investment. An investment is a MB 300SL in a barn you found in some old dead ladies estate, bought for cheap, repaired, and now you got a 7 digit car. Your average grocery getting/crotch-goblin-carrying sh1tbox will never be an investment (unless it's part of a business but I digress)

/rant

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nobody said our Bolts are an "investment." That's your straw man, "Iflyforfood."
I did, in fact, pay cash for my 2019 Bolt. But your bogus argument about a financed car being not owned, same as a lease, is ridiculous! A leased car is a rentacar. A financed car is yours to drive and modify as you please. Saying leasing is the same as financing, ridiculous! - Do you really think that renting an apartment is the same as financing a home?
Leased cars are very expensive long term rentacars. And they pick you apart with extra fees, when you return it. They're not yours!
My Bolt sports window tint, after market light weight wheels and tires, a bike rack trailer hitch, dash mat, etc. Comfort, convenience and utility that's not wise or allowed to add to a leased rentacar.
My new Bolt at $20K, could easily be sold at a profit on the used market for $25k. All non-classics depreciate, of course, but my point is illustrated.

Leasing is the way to pay the most possible money, and at the same time be very restricted as to what you can do / miles you can drive.
Bargain hard, buy a great car, and keep it a long time.
For me, the cheapest most satisfying way to actually own a car.
Unless you must relocate often, owning always beats renting both in overall long term costs, and in satisfaction.

Attachments

21 - 25 of 25 Posts