Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does it work with the various new toll freeway HOV lanes (Lexus Lanes) with an EV? With a standard car, you either use your regular Fastrak transponder and pay the toll, or you get one of the newer carpool transponders that allow you to set it to the number of occupants in the car and not pay the toll, but with an EV, I should be able to drive there by myself and pay no toll, right? If this is correct, do I need a special EV transponder, or do I just set the carpool transponder for three people? Just wondering what Bay Area drivers are doing.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
An EV driver has to do the same thing as any other driver in a toll and/or HOV lane - EXCEPT that you must have an EV sticker on the vehicle to get EV preferential treatment (such as being able to be in the HOV lane with fewer passengers, nor not pay toll).

Just owning an EV doesn't qualify - you must have the sticker. Depending on which road you are on, you may need a special transponder that says how many people are in the vehicle - it depends on the roadway itself.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You get a FasTrak Flex transponder and set it to 3 people and leave it there. Be sure to have the white stickers on the car, however.
OK, thanks. That's kind of what I thought. On a side note, I was following a Tesla today and that owner had opted to just put one single white sticker in the middle of the bumper instead of the usual plastering the state seems to require. No doubt for aesthetic reasons. Do you think people like this get a pass from the cops for not complying 100%? I like the sensible one sticker approach.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
OK, thanks. That's kind of what I thought. On a side note, I was following a Tesla today and that owner had opted to just put one single white sticker in the middle of the bumper instead of the usual plastering the state seems to require. No doubt for aesthetic reasons. Do you think people like this get a pass from the cops for not complying 100%? I like the sensible one sticker approach.
If a police officer wanted to make an issue of it, they could ticket the owner of the car for not properly displaying the stickers. Dunno if it would be a fix-it ticket which is fairly cheap, or a carpool lane violation which is pretty speedy. DMV specifies how to display the stickers.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If a police officer wanted to make an issue of it, they could ticket the owner of the car for not properly displaying the stickers. Dunno if it would be a fix-it ticket which is fairly cheap, or a carpool lane violation which is pretty speedy. DMV specifies how to display the stickers.
Oh yeah, it's a risk. I have driven the last 11 years without a front license plate because I really hate the way it looks on this particular car. Everyone told me I was going to get pulled over all the time. I have never been pulled over. I was just wondering how common this "rebel" practice might be in the EV community and if there were any practical consequences.

I personally think the stickers are stupid and they are about as ugly as they could have made them. They should just issue EVs special license plates and be done with it. Printing special plates would no doubt be cheaper for the state, be more permanent, make compliance easy and look a **** of a lot better.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Oh yeah, it's a risk. I have driven the last 11 years without a front license plate because I really hate the way it looks on this particular car. Everyone told me I was going to get pulled over all the time. I have never been pulled over. I was just wondering how common this "rebel" practice might be in the EV community and if there were any practical consequences.
We have one of those cargo carriers that mounts to a hitch. Awesome carrier. Gives us plenty of extra room for hauling stuff with our minivan. Only problem is that it blocks the rear license plate. I got pulled over and given a fix-it ticket because the rear license plate was blocked. After I fixed things (by removing the cargo carrier), I had to go get the ticket signed off by the local police. They checked to make sure I had a front license plate on the car before signing off. The new cargo carrier for the SUV we now drive has a specific mount for the license plate. Whenever this new cargo carrier is on, we transfer the plate now.

personally think the stickers are stupid and they are about as ugly as they could have made them. They should just issue EVs special license plates and be done with it. Printing special plates would no doubt be cheaper for the state, be more permanent, make compliance easy and look a **** of a lot better.
To do that would require people giving up their pre-existing personalized license plates that they might have purchased for a specific cause, like the arts, kids programs, coastal conservation, preserving Yosemite, etc, depriving those deserving programs of much needed funds. They made the stickers to be easily visible to the CHP to make enforcement of HOV lanes easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts