Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my HOV sticker soon for CA. Does anyone know or have experience on how Bay Area (or California in general) Express Lanes can be used for EV drivers with HOV Stickers ?

I'm thinking we still need to use Fastrak Flex for accessing these lanes. But how do we (or do we ?) get 'free toll' being in a EV ?

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
For travel in the 580 express lanes you must use a FasTrak Flex transponder. In order to get toll-free travel, you should have the Flex transponder set to 3 occupants once you get your stickers. The Flex transponder isn't required for the 237 and 680 express lanes, but if you do use them on a regular basis, just get the Flex transponder and leave it set to 3 occupants. Otherwise you have to put the regular transponder in a Mylar bag each time you travel in those lanes to avoid being charged.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For travel in the 580 express lanes you must use a FasTrak Flex transponder. In order to get toll-free travel, you should have the Flex transponder set to 3 occupants once you get your stickers. The Flex transponder isn't required for the 237 and 680 express lanes, but if you do use them on a regular basis, just get the Flex transponder and leave it set to 3 occupants. Otherwise you have to put the regular transponder in a Mylar bag each time you travel in those lanes to avoid being charged.
Thanks.

From the description, is it correct to assume, then, that on 580, there is license plate scanning / billing, while on 237 and 680, it's honor system ? :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not a toll road, but for the Carquinez bridge you need FastTrack and to go in the carpool lane (no need to set responder to multiple occupants). Can't wait for my stickers to arrive- will save about $30 a month (not a huge sum but I'll take it).

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Thanks.

From the description, is it correct to assume, then, that on 580, there is license plate scanning / billing, while on 237 and 680, it's honor system ? :)
Well, 580 require the use of a transponder, so it's more than just a license-plate scannin/billing. But yeah, it seems to be an honor system on 680 and 237.

http://511.org/driving/express-lanes/carpools

Has more info.

Just get the Flex transponder and set it to 3 and you'll be good.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Well, the 'honor system' is really "visible indicator lights up when a vehicle is detected in the carpool lane without a correctly set transponder, and any CHP in the area who sees is will start looking to pull you over". Or at least that's the way it WAS on I-680 south when the system went live originally.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, 580 require the use of a transponder, so it's more than just a license-plate scannin/billing. But yeah, it seems to be an honor system on 680 and 237.

http://511.org/driving/express-lanes/carpools

Has more info.

Just get the Flex transponder and set it to 3 and you'll be good.
yep. tho if on 580 if your transponder for some reason doesn't get picked up (no beeps), you'll be billed as single occupant

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
yep. tho if on 580 if your transponder for some reason doesn't get picked up (no beeps), you'll be billed as single occupant
If your transponder doesn't get picked up - how re you going to be billed? (your transponder didn't get picked up!!!)

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
If your transponder doesn't get picked up - how re you going to be billed? (your transponder didn't get picked up!!!)
I can't speak for the tollway you guys are discussing, but here in Vancouver if you don't have a transponder then the tolling gantry snaps a photo of the license plate and sends a bill to the registered owner of the vehicle. And it's more expensive that way, which encourages people to attach the free transponder decals to their cars' windshields.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
I've not had a problem on 580 with the transponder not being read. The Bay Bridge, on the other hand, seems to be hit or miss with whether the transponder gets recognized in the Highlander.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone ever heard the Fastrak transponder BEEP when going up/down the new 680 corridor express lane, around san ramon - danville area ?
My transponder is set to 3 passengers and it never seem to beep. I'm wondering if it's just not turned on yet, or it's some new design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts