Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, for those who have already affixed your HOV stickers, mind sharing where you actually put them ?

Seems like on the quarter panels and also rear bumper, space is so limited, and you can only go 'higher' to find a big enough spot.

Some pics would be great !

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
I guess I'll get over it, but I really hate those stickers! I'm not a fan of any bumper sticker and these ones are about as ugly as they get. Not only that, but they make you put three on just to rub it in!

At least they're functional...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't think it really matters where you put them. They are ugly anywhere. But I figure I did not buy the Bolt for its good looks. And the HOV lane often saves time.

I only put two on. Seemed like that oughta be enough.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
doh should have gone lower ....
You placed yours exactly where I placed mine, and I think this is a better placement than on the black plastic. The black plastic is not a smooth surface, so I don't think the stickers will stay put as well as on the smooth body panels.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
I don't think it really matters where you put them. They are ugly anywhere. But I figure I did not buy the Bolt for its good looks. And the HOV lane often saves time.

I only put two on. Seemed like that oughta be enough.
If a cop is in a mood, you can get ticketed for not having the right number of stickers on the car. The likelihood of that happening is super low, but still exists. Dunno if it would be a simple cheap fix-it ticket, or a spendy carpool-lane violation. I've never been brave enough to find out the hard way and just put the stickers on like it was shown.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
There's just really no way to make those stickers look good...Best you can do is pick a corner and stick them there.
Why can't they just require one instead of three?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I placed 2 of mine on the lower right corner like moombolt did, and saved one for the unfortunate day (hopefully never) that I get rear ended by some fool, it happened to a friend of mine and he had to show proof of the accident to the lords in Sacramento for them to issue new stickers, all in all it took him 3 months to get new stickers...

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
You placed yours exactly where I placed mine, and I think this is a better placement than on the black plastic. The black plastic is not a smooth surface, so I don't think the stickers will stay put as well as on the smooth body panels.
Good point about the different surfaces. I hope those that placed them on the black areas can keep us updated long term. I think I would like to put mine on the black too. I suppose you can get replacements if they fall off, no?

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
There's just really no way to make those stickers look good...Best you can do is pick a corner and stick them there.
Why can't they just require one instead of three?
Because it's a state bureaucracy. The program and stickers were no doubt designed by committee. It was probably such a nightmare for them, that they likely have no interest in revisiting the issue. We're likely stuck with it for at least another decade.

Maybe Elon Musk can talk to the state about the way his cars are being defaced and offer to come up with something better? :laugh:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Because it's a state bureaucracy. The program and stickers were no doubt designed by committee. It was probably such a nightmare for them, that they likely have no interest in revisiting the issue. We're likely stuck with it for at least another decade.
I kind of hope you're right about the decade. Because all the stickers are currently scheduled to expire in less than 22 months.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
I kind of hope you're right about the decade. Because all the stickers are currently scheduled to expire in less than 22 months.:eek:
My bet is the white sticker program will be extended, but the green sticker program will sunset.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My bet is the white sticker program will be extended, but the green sticker program will sunset.
Your guess is as good as mine, but that would be very different from what was done last year. It seems difficult to predict what the politicians will do on this. Nothing would surprise me, from complete sunset as of 12/31/18 to an extension through 2025 for both colors.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
I did not know that. I looked it up and they expire 1/1/19, so basically we have the rest of this year and all of next year. I also noted that this program requires federal approval. They could kill it even sooner if they want. With the GOP hate for promoting EVs, I really wonder about renewal.

So we get to keep the stickers on just long enough for the paint to fade, so when we take them off, we can see the ghost HOV past and remember back when... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
58 Posts
If a cop is in a mood, you can get ticketed for not having the right number of stickers on the car. The likelihood of that happening is super low, but still exists. Dunno if it would be a simple cheap fix-it ticket, or a spendy carpool-lane violation. I've never been brave enough to find out the hard way and just put the stickers on like it was shown.
Funny story. I was at a BBQ one day talking to a friend who is a traffic cop. I was asking him about sticker placement/count, and he apparently had never heard of them. The next time I saw him, he said he pulled someone over who was in the HOV lane (I assume for something unrelated), and would not have known what the stickers actually were had he not heard about them from me.

I don't know how HOV/EV-educated regular, city cops like him are, but I assume the CHP knows whats up, because I see them hanging out at the end of my special off-ramp, ticketing people, and yet I've passed them several times while they're waiting for violators, without getting hassled.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Your guess is as good as mine, but that would be very different from what was done last year. It seems difficult to predict what the politicians will do on this. Nothing would surprise me, from complete sunset as of 12/31/18 to an extension through 2025 for both colors.
The white sticker program has been around since before the yellow sticker program. It has always had an unlimited number of stickers, unlike the yellow program, and until recently, the green sticker program. The yellow sticker program was eventually allowed to sunset, but the white sticker program was extended. This happened when the green sticker program came into being.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Since the bolt doesn't have an exhaust pipe, would it be ugly to put them where those indents are at the very bottom of the Bolt?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree that they are not at all attractive. I have always just kept mine in an envelope in the glove box. My commute does not involve a freeway with an HOV lane, so I don't use them. Funny though, the first thing the dealer does when I trade the car is slap the stickers on it (It's happened twice)! I guess that's so they don't get lost... Anyway, I am awaiting my 3rd set. And they'll go in the glove box again. Maybe someday they'll put in a carpool lane on Hwy 101 (on the peninsula) and I can use 'em!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts