Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I recently got assigned a repurchase coordinator and he mentioned he's working on a Buy Back offer. My car is leased and will end in February. From what I'm reading, an MSRP swap would be a better choice especially since I'm planning on purchasing the vehicle at lease end. However, I'm also seeing some back in forth in this forum (depending on your coordinator) that an MSRP swap will not be offered for leases under a year and that if swapping for another bolt may not happen till the end of this year. Can anyone confirm if this is still the case? Can I request for an MSRP swap rather than a buy back although my lease end is under a year? What would happen if I choose an MSRP Swap and a Bolt is not ready with my lease ending? Will I be able to extend the lease? Also my understanding on a buyback is that they will repay the amount of money I've spent on the lease payments plus down payment, is this correct? Appreciate all the help in this forum. Thank you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm also curious, for an MSRP swap, would you need to qualify for new credit and term or because I'm in an existing lease all the terms just transfer over. TIA.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just had mine done, contract remains the same all they do is replace the VIN number and car info (substitution of collateral).
Congratulations!! Did you switch to another Bolt or EUV? If so how long did you wait for the order? From what I read, getting into another EV is the challenge on an MSRP swap.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Congratulations!! Did you switch to another Bolt or EUV? If so how long did you wait for the order? From what I read, getting into another EV is the challenge on an MSRP swap.
Thanks 🙏
I’m waiting since October when I started the process, I finally singed the bill of sale today.

Its a ‘22 EUV 2LZ Premier Sun & Sound pack! Only paid a little over $1000 for the straight msrp swap no other fees or usage deduction.

I did not see an EV on the list only EUVs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks 🙏
I’m waiting since October when I started the process, I finally singed the bill of sale today.

Its a ‘22 EUV 2LZ Premier Sun & Sound pack! Only paid a little over $1000 for the straight msrp swap no other fees or usage deduction.

Very Nice Deal!! For EV's I meant Bolt or EUV. What I've read was since the Bolt or EUVs are limited or would need to be ordered on the next run if available, others have selected a non EV vehicle. Which in today's gas prices would not be an option for us. Did you order your EUV or was there one available at the dealership you worked with? May I ask what state you're in? .

·
Registered
55 Posts
I started my MSRP Trade (not "swap" according to the Rep) in early February. I went to the dealer today where I had purchased my 2021, after they did a buyback of my 2017, they had their stuff pretty much together with all the information. I found out some interesting details I hadn't read on any threads here: I sat down with a sales rep. I told him I was doing the MSRP trade for a 2022 EUV. He looked at a screen that looked like it had a bit over 25 cars listed and said "what color are you interested in", I told him a color and they had it. He slid 4 sheets of printed paper to me and said those are the cars available now. Two had colors I was interested in. I selected the one I wanted.
The service manager came by just about that point, he is the person GM had lined me up with initially. He said that the car would take probably three weeks to get a new battery. This is where the interesting parts starts, the date on the invoice when this car shipped to the dealer was 7/14/2021, this would be well before the November dates of the lot of cars with the good batteries we have been reading about. What he told me was that it takes about three weeks to get a new battery and install it. So, and this is what was told to me by the GM rep, they have a bunch of cars in storage. These cars shipped to dealers with batteries that would be eventually recalled, then taken back to a storage facility, from there they will get new batteries and be sold or in this case used for MSRP trade.
Because the dealer has four cars in the cue, I was able to reserve one for the trade.
Initially the GM rep told me 10-14 weeks wait. It seems there may be leeway if the cars are already in cue for a replacement battery. This would explain some of the variation I have been reading on this site.
One more thought is that the new batteries may have more capacity if all I am reading around the site is true, that would be great.
The sales rep told me he has processed a lot of these recalls. This is the second one for me with them.
I was unable to get the Super Cruise feature, he said there are none on the list he was viewing.

I am wondering if GM is planning and repurposing all the buybacks for self driving within the Cruise automated driving system? Interesting...https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2022/03/gm-buying-out-softbanks-stake-in-cruise-for-2-1b/

·
Registered
240 Posts
Very Nice Deal!! For EV's I meant Bolt or EUV. What I've read was since the Bolt or EUVs are limited or would need to be ordered on the next run if available, others have selected a non EV vehicle. Which in today's gas prices would not be an option for us. Did you order your EUV or was there one available at the dealership you worked with? May I ask what state you're in? .
I was pretty adamant from start I would only accept an EV for MSRP Trade, but I don't know if that has any weight these days. Basically, I have a friend at a GM Dealership (owner) he let me sit with his Manager and the manager opened the BOLT Recall software connected w/ GM, he was accessing a poll of vehicles available for swap for the WEST coast. This poll probably had 15 EUVs and only a few w/ the Premier package with sun and sound. We picked my vehicle from that list (his dealership does not have any Bolt inventory they still sell ICE only there).

He asked my email to input on the GM system and printed out a receipt w/ my new EUV info.

I'm in CA.

The fact I knew the dealer and the dealer was not competing w/ me for that EUV to place it on sale probably helped.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was pretty adamant from start I would only accept an EV for MSRP Trade, but I don't know if that has any weight these days. Basically, I have a friend at a GM Dealership (owner) he let me sit with his Manager and the manager opened the BOLT Recall software connected w/ GM, he was accessing a poll of vehicles available for swap for the WEST coast. This poll probably had 15 EUVs and only a few w/ the Premier package with sun and sound. We picked my vehicle from that list (his dealership does not have any Bolt inventory they still sell ICE only there).

He asked my email to input on the GM system and printed out a receipt w/ my new EUV info.

I'm in CA.

The fact I knew the dealer and the dealer was not competing w/ me for that EUV to place it on sale probably helped.
Thank you! By chance are you in Southern CA either Inland Empire or OC? If so can you DM me the dealer. I was told to start contacting dealerships to tag a vehicle but two reps I called didn't know what an MSRP swap is. :oops:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Can the lease contract be extended or reset?
No, same terms. At the end of your lease, you will have to ask GM to extend the lease on a 6-month basis, like you would with your old Bolt. You will also have an option to buy out your lease which is the best option in my opinion (if you enjoy your new EUV).

·
Registered
32 Posts
My deal is for an EV that I ordered directly, NOT from the Nov batch. Ordered 10/07/21 and still waiting on it to be built....
Ew that’s a long time - sorry. I just went to tag today and the dealer just had me order a new one (like you). I’m HOPING that since GM just restarted production today that yours will be built early; then mine shortly after.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Another reference point, I swapped my Bolt for a Canyon AT4, my out of pocket was $500, then the day the title arrived for the truck I traded it in for an AWD Mach-E, after the federal and state rebate it was only $4k more. So basically I swapped my 2020 Bolt LT for an AWD BluCruise Mach-E for $4.5k. yes lots of paperwork and time, but can be done. Once I had the truck, lots of options, including ordering a new Bolt and pocketing money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just heard back from two dealers, stating I need to wait until the 2023 Bolts are available for ordering?? Although I see some EUVs available on their lot, they mentioned for an MSRP Swap it has to be GMC owned, not dealer purchased vehicles. :( My repurchase coordinator states they can't hold the case open since they don't know when the 2023 Bolts are available for ordering? Recommendations?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just heard back from two dealers, stating I need to wait until the 2023 Bolts are available for ordering?? Although I see some EUVs available on their lot, they mentioned for an MSRP Swap it has to be GMC owned, not dealer purchased vehicles. :( My repurchase coordinator states they can't hold the case open since they don't know when the 2023 Bolts are available for ordering? Recommendations?
Swap to something you can get your hands on sooner. Then trade in that vehicle for what you want. Honestly I dont understand the swap math, my Bolt MSRP was 36.25k, (I paid 25 OTD), my swap MSRP Truck was 38.25k, but I only owed $500 on the swap. I then had an offer for $39.8 as a dealer trade in for a new bronco, trading in you only pay sales tax on difference. I ended up trading the truck in for a new Mach-E, but had Bolt production started sooner I probably would have sold the truck to Vroom, and bought a new LT at 31k. Lots of options if you dont mind a little leg work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks 🙏

Hi Vicki,

I finally got a vehicle tagged, however the MSRP was $2k more than my current one. Curious did your residual remain the same and you would just pay the difference in MSRP or did it go up? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts