Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

CA. requires units on chargers, not time.

7K views 78 replies 18 participants last post by  sly 
What right does the government have to dictate how something is sold, especially after the fact? There's a case to be made that consumers need to be fully informed, but once you get 2 informed parties (business and consumer) that agree on something, that's between the 2 parties and nobody else.
So if I hire Socko to kill my brother-in-law, and we agree on a price, it is none of the governments business? People elect governments to oversee many things, including business transactions. If they decide they don't like the way this administration is doing it, they can vote them out next time around.

In fact, since none of this goes into effect until 2021, they can let them know before then.

There's already laws protecting (some) human life. The rules are to be as few as necessary to facilitate orderly commerce. DCFC isn't some predatory paycheck loan company that is causing financial ruin to poor people; it's a highly unprofitable business whose customers tend to be much wealthier and informed than other markets.
I'm not saying I think this mandate is a good idea. It is the job of government to give people what they want. Sometimes those people are even the voters, and what they want often has adverse unintended consequences.

There is no simple pricing system that would be fair, and profitable. If you charge by the kWh you penalize the provider, in the case of slow charging cars. If you charge by the minute, you penalize people with slow charging cars. If you charge what it costs to deliver, almost no one will use it. We live in a real world, with real consequences. EVs will never allow us to behave as foolishly as we are accustomed too. Will we adjust our behavior to the new reality...probably not.

Why can't it be the same for EVs- advertise the price per kWh with the delivered kWh and cost displayed in real time on the EVSE?
Because the delivery time per gallon is the same for all ICE vehicles...not at all the case for EVs. I suppose you could have two meters, with two prices, one for kWh, and one for time. Your total bill is the combination of the two. This would actually be a fairer, and clearer, way to do it.

DC fast charging should be that much IMO. It should only be used for long trips and not an everyday occurrence. We need more level 2 charging for people in apartments, shopping plazas, and work places. The big issue to holding back EV adoption is for the majority of renter's it is inconvenient to have an EV.
Yes. I agree. The last thing we need is more artificially cheap energy. There are huge external costs to every form of energy. Those costs need to be reflected in our economy. Living in a fantasy is what has gotten us where we are now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.