Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

CA. requires units on chargers, not time.

7K views 78 replies 18 participants last post by  sly 
That seems to be the system ChargePoint is using on many of their DCFCs in CA, e.g. $0.25/kwh + $0.10/min.
That turns out pretty expensive per KWh rate. Would be great if they reduced the KWh charge to 15 or 20 cents instead.

36 cents per KWh would mean about 14 cents a mile driving highway speeds.

26 cents per KWh would mean about 10 cents a mile driving highway speeds.

... in comparison, my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid averaged about 36 MPG on long trips, that's about 8 cents a mile.

Agreed, it would be awesome if there were one charge port between every 2 parking spots... that would maximize the flexibility of leaving EVs in place after charging and/or allowing ICE cars to park there when the rest of the lot is full.

I've maintained that manufacturers would have been smart to max out the federal tax credit using PHEVs that have the minimum size battery to claim the full credit, which is 16 kWh. The battery would then be subsidized by taxpayers at $469 per kWh, which is far above the cost to manufacture. That's money on the table.
That's exactly what Toyota is doing. 2020 RAV4 Prime (PHEV) will have $7500 tax credit. When I was looking at the Prius Prime, it would be cheaper than the Prius, after the $500 tax credit. RAV4 should be similar.

Reactions: redpoint5
For heavy use a BEV is superior, but people don't drive like me. I put 40,000 miles on my car every year. The longer you drive a BEV, the better it gets. In my situation a BEV is superior considering I drive in California, have solar panels, and have a 130 mile commute every day. For me a BEV is much better for the environment than a PHEV, please prove me wrong about my situation.
Just stating the obvious, but are you charging your car with energy stored from your solar? If not, and you are charging at night, then you really have to see where your night time energy is coming from...

Problem converting kg to lbs in the last line. The numbers for total lifetime emissions should be

Bolt: 24.2 tons CO2
Volt: 26.2
Gas Car: 58 tons

The takeaway: EV and PHEV are pretty close and which is better depends on CO2 in electricity generation, size of the battery and how much a PHEV is driven n EV mode. But, the big gain is achieved with any electrification. For the given case, just switching to a PHEV reduces CO2 emissions by 55%. Changing to an EV reduces CO2 emissions by only another 3.4%, which is not much more considering the greater inconvenience of an EV. The 2 ton lifetime reduction amounts to less than 7 weeks of per capita US CO2 emissions.

Increasing the use to 20 years, 300,000 miles, makes the PHEV emit 23% more CO2 than the EV, an extra 12 tones CO2, less than 4% of per capita CO2 emissions.

Another way of looking at this is that in the given scenario, an EV does worse for the first 6 years and then gains an edge over the PHEV.

For low mileage drivers, say 6000 miles per year, an EV requires 9 years to break even with a PHEV. For PHEV drivers who drive more around town and drive 85% of the time in EV mode, almost 20 years will be needed for the EV to come out ahead.
What happens if we also account for the CO2 related to maintenance of the gas engine in Gas Cars and PHEV?

The size of the battery and how it is made is the biggest factor of CO2 emissions for a BEV. I am actually a huge fan of longer range PHEV's that can get 50 miles of range that can cover over 90% of an individuals driving. With the Volt being discontinued, what is the longest range PHEV? The Prius Prime/Hyundai Ioniq both get about 25 miles of all electric range. New cars like the Subaru Crosstrek PHEV get 17 miles of range. I am not liking this new type of PHEV. I think 50 miles of all electric range should be the number for a PHEV. These new PHEV's will be treated like hybrids and over 60% of driving will be on gas. The Volt with 53 miles was the best PHEV out there and it wasn't close!
2021 RAV4 Prime will get about 50 EV miles.

My guess is that fluids (oil, transmission fluid, etc.) are mostly recycled and almost never burned. So contribution to CO2 emissions would be from the supply chain. Given the small amount of lubricating fluids compared with the amount of FF burned as fuel, I doubt that it would make much of an impact, less than a rounding error.
How do you recycle oil?!? I am pretty sure that's a no-no. Or are you saying that when I went to oil change, I am buying the old oil from the last car - filtered through a coffee filter?

I thought there was some thing about heat and the chemical degrading... you sure it's that easy to regenerate motor oil?!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.