Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping that someone with some cold winter driving experience can tell me if there is a power consumption difference between just running the defroster (heating the wind shield), and heating the cabin? My guess is there is no difference and that the same heating element is used for both. The reason I ask is I was wondering if I would be able safe some battery by using the seat/steering wheel heater to keep me warm and using the blower heater only to keep the wind shield clear.

Mark

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You're right about using the same heating element for both defrost and cabin heat, but defrost also runs/cycles the AC compressor pump as needed so there's some additional draw from the defroster vs. cabin heat.

·
Registered
989 Posts
You're right about using the same heating element for both defrost and cabin heat, but defrost also runs/cycles the AC compressor pump as needed so there's some additional draw from the defroster vs. cabin heat.
This is why I use Bi-Level to keep the windows from fogging :nerd:
It's not 100%, but it works well enough in my areas climate. I hate wasting HVB to the HVAC system.>:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts