Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
That's the concept release model. Given how the original Volt and Bolt EV looked, I think the production model is going to look pretty sweet.
I don't care what it looks like. It is enormous. The vast majority of vehicles spend most of their time with one occupant.

And you worry about a friggin' kerosene heater.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
No, I worry about people driving the gasoline powered counterparts to this vehicle. They are selling in the thousands per week right now.
So we'll spend twenty five years, and billions to replace the current fleet, and gas station infrastructure, to end up with the same environmental impact as switching over to a Prius fleet. And for all the effort we will have ended up with a 50/50 chance of blowing through 2 degree C. It is all kabuki theater.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
So we'll spend twenty five years, and billions to replace the current fleet, and gas station infrastructure, to end up with the same environmental impact as switching over to a Prius fleet. And for all the effort we will have ended up with a 50/50 chance of blowing through 2 degree C. It is all kabuki theater.
Just 100 companies are responsible for over 70% of the annual CO2 emissions. If your primary mission is offsetting climate change, those companies should be your focus. Now, a number of those companies produce CO2 by supplying consumers, so reducing the demand for their products makes sense.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/10/14/its-time-for-the-adults-to-take-charge-100-corporations-responsible-for-71-of-carbon-emissions/

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
That's the concept release model. Given how the original Volt and Bolt EV looked, I think the production model is going to look pretty sweet.
Cadillac seems to have adopted the "vertical slit" design for their headlights, which the concept shares. It's one of the least attractive design elements, IMHO, and if it carries over to the production model then "sweet" is not the adjective I'd use to describe it.

American cars in general have far too much chrome and faux-expensive design elements for my taste.

·
Registered
612 Posts
BEV1 = GM Spark EV, BEV2 = Bolt + 2 yet to be announced BEV's, 18 months from November 2017, (Slide 11 Nov 15 2017 presentation + PR dated 10/2/2017)

Still believed that the next BEV is a Bolt (BEV2) based CUV Buick
Oh man I hope so. That's the one I need, and have been waiting for.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Cadillac seems to have adopted the "vertical slit" design for their headlights, which the concept shares. It's one of the least attractive design elements, IMHO, and if it carries over to the production model then "sweet" is not the adjective I'd use to describe it.

American cars in general have far too much chrome and faux-expensive design elements for my taste.

still better than the constipated storm trooper face like this:

http://www.ukcarline.co.uk/uploads/pages/Toyota-C-HR/toyota-chr-front.png

or the chicken wire chin:

https://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/2017-honda-civic-type-r-front.jpg

·
Registered
760 Posts

well in my opinion it looks better than the Lexus "cheese grater" style grills.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Just 100 companies are responsible for over 70% of the annual CO2 emissions. If your primary mission is offsetting climate change, those companies should be your focus. Now, a number of those companies produce CO2 by supplying consumers, so reducing the demand for their products makes sense.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/10/14/its-time-for-the-adults-to-take-charge-100-corporations-responsible-for-71-of-carbon-emissions/
Yes, changing consumer taste would effect those companies...in decades. If you were going to fight a war, ideally you would do a PR campaign to get everyone on board, get them to buy war bonds, grow gardens, and turn in their old metal stuff for the war effort. But you would also give all vital industries instructions for what, and how much of vital war materials to produce, instead of waiting for people to decide. Maybe a real president would declare a state of emergency, instead of denying we were at war. :)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

There’s no such thing as too much chrome, and we need to bring back tail fins!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Yes, changing consumer taste would effect those companies...in decades. If you were going to fight a war, ideally you would do a PR campaign to get everyone on board, get them to buy war bonds, grow gardens, and turn in their old metal stuff for the war effort. But you would also give all vital industries instructions for what, and how much of vital war materials to produce, instead of waiting for people to decide. Maybe a real president would declare a state of emergency, instead of denying we were at war. :)
Actually, we need to rein-in executive power, not expand it. What’s the purpose of our legislative branch if the executive branch has unlimited power to redirect resources by declaring an emergency?

That’s how dictatorships work, not democracies.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Actually, we need to rein-in executive power, not expand it. What’s the purpose of our legislative branch if the executive branch has unlimited power to redirect resources by declaring an emergency?

That’s how dictatorships work, not democracies.
Absolutely agree. But our legislators have been turning over tough decision making to the executive for decades. And with computer aided jerrymandering of districts, and direct unlimited campaign funding from the wealthy, they have even less reason to do their jobs.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Tim, that's exactly what I keep saying. The solution to problems created by too much executive power from the "other administration" isn't to grant more power to the favored administration. If the federal government were appropriately limited, and the executive branch along with it, then we'd hardly care who was president because their authority would be so narrowly defined and properly checked by other branches of government.

Caesar has too much power, regardless of the letter prefix to his name.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
If the federal government were appropriately limited, and the executive branch along with it, then we'd hardly care who was president because their authority would be so narrowly defined and properly checked by other branches of government.

Caesar has too much power, regardless of the letter prefix to his name.
Corporations hold all the power. They own the federal government. It is even worse at the state and local level. State and local governments act as pimps, loading their constituents with debt for the chance of getting a job. When the deferred taxes, and bonds come due, the corporations close the plant and move to the next whorehouse.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Agreed. By properly defining the role of government institutions, we reduce the amount of influence lobbyists can have. Essentially you're diluting authority rather than concentrating it. With concentrated authority, bribes are easily focused on a few. Dilute authority, and it becomes more difficult to bribe, and more likely that there will be some that expose the unethical relationships.

The other thing I've been arguing is that "politician" should not exist as a career in the US. It should be a period of public service by citizens, with them returning to their careers after the term of service.

Dilute authority enough, and lobbyist then have to buy out everyone, which is exactly what we want; all interests represented.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
BEV1 = GM Spark EV, BEV2 = Bolt + 2 yet to be announced BEV's, 18 months from November 2017, (Slide 11 Nov 15 2017 presentation + PR dated 10/2/2017)

Still believed that the next BEV is a Bolt (BEV2) based CUV Buick

First BEV3 will be a Cadillac (Lux3 SUV, 5 person) Slide 14 Nov 15th 2017 presentation

Unless the "two vehicles in the next 18 months" have been canceled and they are going to skip right to the BEV3 platform, that is still my read of the tea leaves...

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news/news_archive.year.2017.month.10.html

https://investor.gm.com/events/event-details/general-motors-participate-barclays-2017-global-automotive-conference

GM already designated an EV as their "first", 22 years ago...the EV-1.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts