Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

261 - 280 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
The EA app lets you pick a particular under-construction station and be notified when it opens. It's a bit annoying if you're generally curious about their whole network, though.
I see, thanks! Looking at the app I also see there are a bunch of stations that Plugshare showed as 'open' which are really still 'under construction' (e.g. Gilroy and Firebaugh). That's good to know too.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Yeh, PlugShare is "GIGO" (Garbage In = Garbage Out) - it depends on the quality of the people reporting.

Before a trip always read the checkin comments on your "first choice" and "backup" (and 3rd backup) charging sites. Sometimes sites are just down (for example, the 8-unit site in Novato, CA - just N of San Francisco - has been bouncing "avail" and "not avail" for months).

·
Registered
241 Posts
After having been mostly MIA for the last few months, I figured I'd check in on this thread as I consider DCFC infrastructure to be central to the mass adoption of EVs as a primary source of transportation. I gotta say it's disheartening to read the various posts here. How many average Americans that you know are willing to go to the lengths that you all have been subjected to just to find a relatively stress-free path from Point A to Point B? The comments that are most disturbing are the ones stating "Coming in 20XX".

We should all be able to agree that Tesla by itself will NEVER be able to convert the auto-buying public to EVs (the primary reason being a lack of manufacturing facilities). So when is the non-Tesla charging infrastructure going to outpace the SuperCharger coverage provided by this one small manufacturer? "Someday" is not a good answer to that question.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We took a trip using an ICE over Thanksgiving and personally, I think I'm ok with having EVs for 98% of my driving (and I assume for many people).

It's just so convenient for me driving and filling up in 5-10mins and being back on the road again since I sorta like getting to my destination quickly and resting rather than eat/rest/take breaks, etc....during the drive/trip.

Even with DCFC everywhere, other than for range anxiety, I just can't see myself wanting to bother waiting 20-30mins for a charge.

Gas just makes it so fast/easy IMO for long trips and when the bulk of all miles driven is short for the majority of folks (work commute), I think EVs will naturally be adopted in warmer areas.

I think cold weather is the main deterrent for EVs actually vs. DCFC. (I'm in SoCal). Also, apartment buildings where there aren't enough plugs for the hundreds of residents (way too much of a pain to have to "park" in that specific space).

Depending on the new EV vehicle options out there, I think we may get another EV for my spouse's work commute within 2 years...(Just got a 2019 LT).

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
No, I did NOT create a sock-puppet account!

(For those who are humoristically challenged, that was a joke.)

·
Registered
130 Posts
We should all be able to agree that Tesla by itself will NEVER be able to convert the auto-buying public to EVs (the primary reason being a lack of manufacturing facilities). So when is the non-Tesla charging infrastructure going to outpace the SuperCharger coverage provided by this one small manufacturer? "Someday" is not a good answer to that question.
What's interesting to me is that purely in terms of the number of charging locations, EvGo has already equaled or outpaced Tesla in California - Tesla has 154 Supercharger locations, EvGo has >250 (per PlugShare). But of course in reality the Tesla network is just much more useful - more reliable, more chargers per location, and the locations cover a much larger area. So it doesn't feel like an insurmountable problem - just one that nobody with the right combination of vision/commitment/deep pockets has undertaken.

·
Registered
130 Posts
EDIT Whoops, Vertiformed actually posted this link 4 weeks back. I missed that. Sorry for the duplicate post.

Also for anybody interested, EA has their Q3 report to CARB out now. Primary takeaway:

In Q3, Electrify America had 135 station sites open or permitted and in the construction phase, exceeding the established targets. Stations at 32 sites were open to the public by the end of the quarter.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
What's interesting to me is that purely in terms of the number of charging locations, EvGo has already equaled or outpaced Tesla in California - Tesla has 154 Supercharger locations, EvGo has >250 (per PlugShare). But of course in reality the Tesla network is just much more useful - more reliable, more chargers per location, and the locations cover a much larger area. So it doesn't feel like an insurmountable problem - just one that nobody with the right combination of vision/commitment/deep pockets has undertaken.
Would love to see DCFC stations at every or every other highway exits and solar DCFC charging station at every rest stop! :)

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
It's just so convenient for me driving and filling up in 5-10mins and being back on the road again since I sorta like getting to my destination quickly and resting rather than eat/rest/take breaks, etc....during the drive/trip.
For lots of people yes, it's more convenient not to need to stop for as long.

I have a small regional airport near me, and it sure would be convenient to board a Gulfstream G650ER and fly direct at over 600 mph to small airport in Europe when the mood suits me. I think it would save me over five hours on the trip, and I might fly far more often if I could go that way.

I don't fly that way though. Few people do. The price of convenience ($10,000 per hour in this case) is far too high.

The price of convenience for car journeys is far lower, but there is still a price and we pay it in multiple ways.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The drive from SD to Mammoth is technically possible once Bishop goes live if you charge fully in Hesperia. Once Cosco junction is up, it might not be so risky.

·
Registered
275 Posts
At this time I don't consider Bishop live until it has been confirmed. I am trying to get a local over to visit the site and see if the kiosks are live. Even then, until someone charges or EA says something it's still a crap shoot.

Paul

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #275
I guess that makes it almost 60 EA stations that are open in California.
I just counted 58 on their site (and I probably miscounted). Unfortunately, over 1/3 of them are concentrated around L.A. and Sacramento in metro areas, not along major travel routes. I wish that they had brought up more stations in the "charging deserts" that are woefully covered. Major urban centers (SF Bay area, Sacramento, Los Angeles) are pretty well covered with DCFCs from other vendors. I-5 N of Sacramento, US-101 N of SF, CA-99 from Sac to Bakersfield are all well covered.

Sites every 75-ish miles along US-101 between Salinas and Santa Barbara, I-5 between Stockton & Bakersfield, CA-58/I-15 between Bakersfield and Vegas (and I-40 to Needles), I-10 and I-8 east to the AZ border, and US-395 from Reno to Victorville (or Boron) should have been the top priorities for EA. Those routes were (and still are) very poorly served and the first 15-20 sites should have been placed there (and CA-99 ignored for the first year). OK, I-5 south to Bakersfield is a lot better now than it was in June, but EA should have gone live in Jan-Feb on those routes.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Oh, and there are a LOT of sites where the DCFC units are installed (and have been for months), the parking/asphalt is finished, the signs are up, but ... nothing is turned on. This is true for multiple vendors (ChargePoint has quite a few of these sites as well).

Rumor has it that this is due to either "the permitting isn't finalized" or "PG&E hasn't installed the transformers yet".

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Oh, and there are a LOT of sites where the DCFC units are installed (and have been for months), the parking/asphalt is finished, the signs are up, but ... nothing is turned on. This is true for multiple vendors (ChargePoint has quite a few of these sites as well).

Rumor has it that this is due to either "the permitting isn't finalized" or "PG&E hasn't installed the transformers yet".
I believe there is a hope amongst green-energy scientists that power can be generated by the collective annoyance of EV drivers. By constructing stations and then not actually turning them on, perhaps the pent-up frustration of at least a few hundred Bolt drivers might power some kind of device, such as a small battery-operated toy.

It's a grand experiment being done for science. (Alas, earlier similar experiments were largely a failure. For example, generating outrage from putting children in cages and causing them massive trauma had mixed experimental results—the short-lived national outrage might have generated enough power to briefly ding a bell, but perhaps it was just that someone bumped into it.)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes, the station at Victorville showing up but it's only one kiosk. The mall has two EVgo kiosks and works reliably.

BTW. I've confirmed that EA's Bishop station is NOT LIVE. Don't plan on that one. I had a friend drive over and the screens are still blank. The only place to charge in Bishop is at the RV park and you best confirm they're open and you can charge there before leaving home.

As noted up thread only Bridgeport is live on the East Side unless you're driving a Tesla. ;)

Paul

·
Registered
130 Posts
Some stats for California from the AFDC for those who are curious:

Total DCFC/Supercharger locations: 854
Total DCFC/Supercharger outlets: 3355
Supercharger locations: 124
Supercharger outlets: 1743
EvGo locations: 286
EvGo outlets (CCS): 562
ChargePoint locations: 175