Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
the linked article said:
Drivers issued stickers in 2017 and 2018 will be able to apply for a new sticker in 2019 that is valid until January 1, 2022.
So, us CA Bolt owners should be covered until the end of 2021, pending that we apply for new stickers in 2019...

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Good. There is absolutely no reason to allow EVs in the HOV lanes. These are the most efficient vehicles and can sit in traffic consuming almost no energy. It should be semi trucks in the HOV lanes. These things waste enormous amounts of fuel every time they have to get moving again.

If you want to artificially inflate the purchase of EVs, simply offer tax rebates. Good luck telling average Joe taxpayer that his money is being forcefully taken to help wealthy people buy new cars. Fortunately average Joe taxpayer in CA is used to these shenanigans and probably won't notice.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good. There is absolutely no reason to allow EVs in the HOV lanes. These are the most efficient vehicles and can sit in traffic consuming almost no energy. It should be semi trucks in the HOV lanes. These things waste enormous amounts of fuel every time they have to get moving again.

If you want to artificially inflate the purchase of EVs, simply offer tax rebates. Good luck telling average Joe taxpayer that his money is being forcefully taken to help wealthy people buy new cars. Fortunately average Joe taxpayer in CA is used to these shenanigans and probably won't notice.
I got the impression that this is a carrot to get people to buy these vehicles. Once it hits critical mass, you can just close out the program, like they did with parallel-drive hybrids:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal

For most folks, no amount of tax rebates will get them to work faster, but being able to use the HOV lanes will.

·
Registered
592 Posts

I agree with these sentiments even though I'm happily taking advantage of them. I also would like to see more EV's on the roads for many reasons, so am happy to artificially inflate the purchase of EV's too.

·
Registered
624 Posts
i think i see more EVs in the carpool lanes than carpools. sometimes the HOV lane isn't any faster than the normal lanes. but sometimes they are, so that's still cool.

·
Registered
372 Posts

Getting dangerously close to a political conversation that may not be welcome on this board. There are many things taxpayers pay for that they on't get to approve directly. EV subsidies (which exist in many states, not just CA *and* at the federal level through rebates and tax credits), to below market leases for oil drillers and cattle ranchers to military hardware that becomes irrelevant by the time it's actually deployed. I do agree that (in California) the time for significant perks to encourage EV use is passing. The original HOV benefit for hybrid and electric/NG/hydrogen) was intended to jump start a market that is (arguably) fairly healthy in California now, and does nothing to achieve the nominal goal of the investment (taking cars off the road). Most HOV lanes in the bay area are so clogged that they offer minimal advantage to users.

The CHP would have to engage in massive ticketing to get the cheaters out of those lanes to make them a significant benefit again. Something I would welcome in principal, but hate the first time the traffic was even worse because they pulled someone over on the inside line for such a violation.

For that same reason, putting big rigs in those lanes would be a waste. They would still be in stop-and-go traffic, and not take any cars off the road.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think the new plan is to get more money out of EV car owners who want to use the car pool lanes (which is everyone in California). I just filed for my white 'clean air vehicle' (CAV) decals. The current application fee is $22, which isn't a big hit. So if I have to pay $22 later this year for another set of decals (some color other than white or green) good until 2022, I'm not griping. It's likely the CAV program will be extended in 2021. It may become an annual fee too.

But one other aspect of this is the new 'high earner' rule. It appears that some folks in Sacramento got pissed off about all the Teslas in the HOV lanes. For all EV cars sold on or after January 1, 2018, the owner must have an annual income below certain limits ($150,000 for single filers, $300,000 for joint filers) to be eligible for both the $2,500 state rebate AND the CAV decals. Those rich guys in the Teslas can get one, but not both.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/forms/reg/reg1000

We can be sure part of the reason for the 2019 renewal is to reduce the number of new cars with CAV decals, since all CAVs and their owners will be subject to the new 'high earner' rule. Of course, there are ways around the new income limit rule. The decal is with the vehicle for it's entire life: it's transferable. Rich guys can have someone who is below the income limit (esp. another family member) buy the car, get the CAV decals, then transfer the car into their name. If it's a family member, the transfer of title is just $15. Or they can just skip the $2,500 state rebate.

·
Registered
574 Posts
BTW: big rigs are not currently allowed in HOV lanes in California, regardless of the number of occupants. And many expressways (like the ones I drive on in the San Francisco Bay Area) do not allow big rigs AT ALL, regardless of the lane.

I wonder what will happen with the new Tesla big rigs, when they show up on our roadways?

·
Registered
392 Posts

Sounds like a great idea, certainly out of the box thinking that I like. My initial thought: That will surely put the kibosh on Teslas soon to be (delayed) Electric truck business. IF every truck owner gets that perk, who would have the incentive to change?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Many truckers will be happy to switch to the Tesla truck. There is a huge cost benefit for switching to an electric tractor. Big companies like UPS have figured out the very simple math: electricity is cheaper than diesel fuel, and the added benefit of lower maintenance costs is icing on the cake. They will likely get additional incentives too, for reducing air pollution in urban areas. The only losers are the manufacturers that produce diesel trucks and the companies that service them - and of course the oil companies.

UPS pre-ordered 250 trucks (actually, just the tractor) and Pepsi pre-ordered 100. I just hope that Tesla will actually deliver on schedule.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ups-tesla-orders/ups-reserves-125-tesla-semi-trucks-largest-public-pre-order-yet-idUSKBN1ED1QM

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Frankly, I think that they should have limited the new HOV stickers for PHEVs (to be issued/valid after Jan 1, 2019) to those vehicles with at least 35 miles of EPA estimated ELECTRIC range - AND limit the number of stickers that could be issued for PHEVs.

As it stands, the HOV lanes in the SF Bay Area are not much better than the 'regular' lanes due to all the PHEVs clogging them. First there was a 40K limit on the number of PHEV (green) stickers, then 80K, then no limit at all - and the HOV lanes have been pretty much clogged for the past 3 years with cars with green HOV stickers. The people who got that perk knew it would expire in 2019 and there's no reason for them to continue to receive that benefit. In fact, by setting a min all-electric range, it would get those people who want that perk to buy more efficient vehicles. It would also get the HOV lanes moving again.

Reactions: drdiesel1

·
Registered
372 Posts
Frankly, I think that they should have limited the new HOV stickers for PHEVs (to be issued/valid after Jan 1, 2019) to those vehicles with at least 35 miles of EPA estimated ELECTRIC range - AND limit the number of stickers that could be issued for PHEVs.

As it stands, the HOV lanes in the SF Bay Area are not much better than the 'regular' lanes due to all the PHEVs clogging them. First there was a 40K limit on the number of PHEV (green) stickers, then 80K, then no limit at all - and the HOV lanes have been pretty much clogged for the past 3 years with cars with green HOV stickers. The people who got that perk knew it would expire in 2019 and there's no reason for them to continue to receive that benefit. In fact, by setting a min all-electric range, it would get those people who want that perk to buy more efficient vehicles. It would also get the HOV lanes moving again.
The numbers I've seen on HOV congestion in the bay area suggest that the problem is cheaters, not PHEVs (30%+), which is consistent with my experience in the south bay. Lane cheats each make a cost/benefit analysis when deciding whether to take the risk. If you eliminate PHEVs, the lanes will open a bit, and more cheaters will flow in, because the perceived benefit has become greater. Without significantly increased enforcement, changes in sticker policy (to ease congestion) seem doomed to fail.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Getting dangerously close to a political conversation that may not be welcome on this board.

...Most HOV lanes in the bay area are so clogged that they offer minimal advantage to users.

The CHP would have to engage in massive ticketing to get the cheaters out of those lanes to make them a significant benefit again. Something I would welcome in principal, but hate the first time the traffic was even worse because they pulled someone over on the inside line for such a violation.

For that same reason, putting big rigs in those lanes would be a waste. They would still be in stop-and-go traffic, and not take any cars off the road.
Political/philosophical discourse is unavoidable because the question of "why" is much more important than "how".

The Portland HOV moves quite a bit faster than the other lanes for the majority of the distance. A truck in this lane would save significant amounts of fuel, which ostensibly is the whole point of HOV in the first place.

I'm not questioning the intention of bad ideas like HOV, or influencing EV sales by allowing them to utilize HOV lanes, only stating that it's mostly ineffective at the goal of reducing pollution and providing a faster lane of travel.

There is already financial incentive for people to carpool since fuel and maintenance costs can be split among people. Some people can avoid purchasing an extra vehicle entirely by carpooling. Those carpoolers that are benefiting from the HOV lanes were likely going to carpool regardless of HOV.

To save fuel (and reduce pollution), we need the heaviest vehicles to maintain speed rather than participate in stop and go traffic. Excluding big rigs largely defeats this goal.

So, we create a HOV lane that doesn't really encourage carpooling, we abuse it's ostensible goal by allowing the most fuel efficient vehicles to clog them up while excluding the least efficient vehicles, and then further waste taxpayer money, slow down traffic, and create additional safety hazards by hiring additional law personnel to enforce the increasingly complex rules.

The efficient/effective way to both decrease pollution and increase clean technology is to mandate certain fuel efficiency/emission amounts, and/or increase taxes on fuel. Auto manufacturers will then determine how best to meet the emission regulations, and consumers will respond to high fuel prices by purchasing alternative fuel vehicles.

...In fact, by setting a min all-electric range, it would get those people who want that perk to buy more efficient vehicles. It would also get the HOV lanes moving again.
Setting arbitrary EV range requirements for allowing vehicles to utilize HOV lanes is counter-productive. How many Prius plug-ins were sold in CA that were never plugged in just so owners could get the HOV benefit? Had they been required to have 35 miles EV range, more minerals would have been mined to create the larger/heavier battery that never gets used. Then you exclude the guy that only needs 20 EV mile range to complete his commute. On top of all that, many CA owners reported that it was more expensive per mile in electricity compared to gasoline.

The solution then is for EV to be cheap compared with gasoline. Either electricity needs to become cheaper in CA, and/or fuel prices need to increase.

Ideally, people would live as close to where they work as possible. There is already incentive for people to do that since there is a cost in both time and money for living further away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but there has always been a "high earner" limit on the rebate anyways. The limit did not change nor is it new. So if they make too much money they could never get the rebate in the first place. It isn't like now they have to pick which one they want to get. They can only get the HOV stickers just like before.

What exactly changed? I understand everyone needing to get new ones next year and I'm sure that is to have a large influx of money to the state.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am actually amazed how many EVs I see in California that DO NOT have HOV stickers. Even if I only drove on the freeway occasionally, I think it would be worth getting the decals.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I am actually amazed how many EVs I see in California that DO NOT have HOV stickers. Even if I only drove on the freeway occasionally, I think it would be worth getting the decals.
Since they started allowing them, there are are just too many plug-in hybrids clogging the HOV lanes. They don't move that much faster than the regular traffic - it's not worth it. (At least, it isn't worth it around San Jose, up the peninsula to Palo Alto, or up I-880 to Hayward.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
There's going to be an unanticipated consequence (I believe) when PHEVs or ZEVs no longer can use the carpool lane...they end up driving in the non-HOV lanes which makes those lanes even more crowded than they are today. Ugh!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
There's going to be an unanticipated consequence (I believe) when PHEVs or ZEVs no longer can use the carpool lane...they end up driving in the non-HOV lanes which makes those lanes even more crowded than they are today. Ugh!
All they have to do to get back in the carpool lane is ... carpool!

Reactions: Sean Nelson
1 - 20 of 22 Posts