Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per other threads on Prius and Tesla forums, (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=11569) it seemed like the wait time goes like this:

Once you submit the application, it can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks for them to cash the check.
Once the check is cashed, the stickers show up within a week.

I would like to add my experience on the Leaf 3 years ago and the Bolt today.

With the Leaf, it took about a month overall after mailing the application, I didn't know you could submit the application even before you have the plates so I submitted after I got my plates a month after buying the car.

With the Bolt, I submitted the application before I got my plates on 10/7. In the field where you put the license plate number, I just put 'New'
10/13: Got my plates (3 weeks after I leased)
10/24: I called (916) 657-8035 to check on status and was told it was processed today (I was thinking yeah right but it seems like it was based on the check date stamp below)
Check cleared my account on 10/27 (the stamp on the back of the check shows a 10/24 date stamp)

Then I expected the stickers to show up between 10/30 and 11/3, especially since it was processed 10/24.

Everyday for the past 2 weeks, I eagerly checked USPS informed delivery, https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action to no avail.

I called again on 11/8 and they said it was mailed out already. I had given up and was about to submit a new application saying I never received the original ones, then today finally I see an envelope from the DMV that looks like the CAV stickers. So it looks like in my case it took a full 2 weeks after they cashed my check for me to receive them in the mail. It shows the date on the sticker form (thru Informed Delivery) of 10/24 (I can see this through the address window) but shows a date of 11/8 on the stamp so it seems like they took 2 weeks and 1 day to actually mail it so it may take up to 3 weeks to get the stickers even after they cash your check. So don't lose hope.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Mine took a LOoooooooooonG time. Typical DMV. My Smog lic. renewal took 4 months to
get my new license card. The state is run very inefficiently, IMO! I've had them cash my checks
and never send me my issuance's. They're unreliable at best. Don't hold your breath...... LOL!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi - So I don't have to wait to get my DMV registration/plates before I submit for HOV sticker???? I just brought home a Bolt a couple of days ago and that's not what was explained (shocking right).... I'm also in CA (Sacramento area).

·
Registered
592 Posts
I drove off with it, my dealership has the foresight to submit an application as soon as they get the car on the lot, so it was already waiting for me when I bought the car. I even had the salesman put the stickers on :nerd:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi - So I don't have to wait to get my DMV registration/plates before I submit for HOV sticker???? I just brought home a Bolt a couple of days ago and that's not what was explained (shocking right).... I'm also in CA (Sacramento area).
The DMV website seems to say that a person has to wait until the plates are issued:

7. Q: Are assigned license plates required before I apply for CAV decals?
A: Yes. The vehicle must have permanent license plates assigned before CAV decals can be issued.

9. Q: Can I submit the CAV decal application before the dealer and DMV complete the ownership application?
A: No. The vehicle must be in your name on DMV records before CAV decals can be issued. If you just purchased the vehicle from a dealership, you must wait until transfer of ownership is completed by DMV. If the CAV decal application is submitted prior to completion of transfer of ownership, the application will be returned to you unprocessed and must be resubmitted once the vehicle is in your name.

10. Q: How do I know when the vehicle is in my name?
A: You will receive a registration card from DMV once the transfer of ownership is completed.​

Reading between the lines here. Getting a registration card from DMV happens at about the same time when the plates arrive in the mail, no? I remember 3 years ago with my Fiat 500e lease that it took a long time to get the stickers. If there's any way to shorten that time it would be great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The DMV website seems to say that a person has to wait until the plates are issued:

A: Yes. The vehicle must have permanent license plates assigned before CAV decals can be issued.

9. Q: Can I submit the CAV decal application before the dealer and DMV complete the ownership application?
A: No. The vehicle must be in your name on DMV records before CAV decals can be issued. If you just purchased the vehicle from a dealership, you must wait until transfer of ownership is completed by DMV. If the CAV decal application is submitted prior to completion of transfer of ownership, the application will be returned to you unprocessed and must be resubmitted once the vehicle is in your name.

10. Q: How do I know when the vehicle is in my name?
A: You will receive a registration card from DMV once the transfer of ownership is completed.​
Reading between the lines here. Getting a registration card from DMV happens at about the same time when the plates arrive in the mail, no? I remember 3 years ago with my Fiat 500e lease that it took a long time to get the stickers. If there's any way to shorten that time it would be great.
Exactly! That's what I read and figured just have to wait... I do wonder how some dealers are giving HOV stickers with drive off... oh well, a couple of weeks is no big deal.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I drove off with it, my dealership has the foresight to submit an application as soon as they get the car on the lot, so it was already waiting for me when I bought the car. I even had the salesman put the stickers on :nerd:
Wondering how such an arrangement is possible, when the rules say the car must be registered in the owner's/leasee's name before a sticker is issued. Which dealer is this who can issue HOV stickers on the day the car is delivered? And why can't all dealers do this?

·
Registered
368 Posts

A: Yes. The vehicle must have permanent license plates assigned before CAV decals can be issued.​

No, read it again, more carefully. "Issued" and "assigned" are two different things. My plates were assigned when I bought the car; the dealer told me the plate number and I applied for the stickers. The plates were issued and delivered some time later. As soon as you have the plate number assigned, you can apply for the stickers.​

·
Registered
107 Posts
For those of you in Southern CA, I discovered that if you get your transponder from the "Toll Roads" the OC toll road transponder you do not get the free use of the 91, 110 and other LA toll roads. You need to apply for the special Access accounts with the 91 Express Lanes or the LA equivalent to get the free use of the toll roads. None of the OC toll roads are ever free, EV or no EV.

·
Registered
336 Posts
No, read it again, more carefully. "Issued" and "assigned" are two different things. My plates were assigned when I bought the car; the dealer told me the plate number and I applied for the stickers. The plates were issued and delivered some time later. As soon as you have the plate number assigned, you can apply for the stickers.
Thanks, Phil. I'll contact the dealer on Monday to get the DMV plate info so that I won't have to wait for the plates to order the stickers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alternately, I applied for the stickers even without knowing the plate number by putting in 'New' in the section for the plate number and it was processed with no issues.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was told by my dealer in Woodland that they regularly fill out the required REG 1000 form for their HOV customers and mail them out to us, requiring then just the check and the filled form to be sent to DMV.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts