Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of July 1st, families making an average amount of money will get a larger tax rebate on the purchase of new fuel-cell, electric, or plug-in hybrid vehicles. If you are a high earner, your tax rebates are gone though -- sorry.

As Damon Lavrinc reports at Jalopnik, the new incentive structure replaces California’s previous tax rebate of $2500 on every electric vehicle sold in the state. In its place, a sliding-scale system has been adopted that takes into account the type of vehicle and the buyer’s annual income. The largest rebates—$6500 for fuel-cell cars, $4000 for EVs, and $3000 for plug-ins—go to individuals or families with an income less than 300 percent of the federal poverty level (FPL). Those who make less than $250,000 individually, or families under $500,000 jointly, get $5000 for FCEVs, the standard $2500 for EVs, and $2500 for plug-ins. The very wealthy—those who make more than $250,000 individually or $500,000 jointly—get a $5000 tax rebate on fuel cells but no rebates on electric or plug-in-hybrid cars.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/californias-tax-rebates-on-evs-phevs-now-based-on-income/

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ah this is brilliant! most of the subsidy was going to wealthy Tesla buyers... but its weird, because now theyre changing the message of what the credit says. First it was buy an EV your saving the world heres some cash. Now its we know people need help buying them, so heres help

·
Registered
264 Posts
That's exactly it... VOLUME. They tried one crowd.. didn't work, now its onto another.
Curiously I wonder if this will have any effect on Tesla sales? Ostensibly I would say no just because their clentele are people of many means, missing $5K shouldn't deter them from buying... But it might piss them off at Cali.gov...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like a much more intelligent way to organize the subsidies. Rich people don't need any more breaks from the government. i'll be interested to see some data on how it affects EV sales in the next year or so.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I see that the greater rebates are for FC ("Fool Sell") vehicles, and this may show Toyota's influence (and hidden money flowing) to get this supported for their new FCVs. GM must produce and sell the Bolt EV and the Gen 2 Volt as soon as possible so new Californian buyers will choose to get these GM EVs with the new State rebates instead of the more expensive and "useless with no H2 fueling station" FCVs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I see that the greater rebates are for FC ("Fool Sell") vehicles, and this may show Toyota's influence (and hidden money flowing) to get this supported for their new FCVs. GM must produce and sell the Bolt EV and the Gen 2 Volt as soon as possible so new Californian buyers will choose to get these GM EVs with the new State rebates instead of the more expensive and "useless with no H2 fueling station" FCVs.
I'm not sure Toyota has much clout with California anymore after they packed up and headed for Texas...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Seems like a much more intelligent way to organize the subsidies. Rich people don't need any more breaks from the government. i'll be interested to see some data on how it affects EV sales in the next year or so.
It should only have a positive effect, those being impacted by the change wont even notice the impact, if they want an EV, they'll get it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even with a big subsidy I wouldnt buy a vehicle that has basically no infrastructure to support it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts