Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone applied for California HOV decal recently? I applied in Jan and haven't received it yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
DMV says "usually within 30 business days" for processing (which would be about now for a January 15 submission when mail delivery times are factored in), but keep in mind that we're talking about the California Department of Motor Vehicles, an organization not known for timely processing, short lines, user friendliness, or a customer-oriented attitude.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
46 Posts
I would apply for mine but I think I have to wait for my permanent license plates to come first.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would apply for mine but I think I have to wait for my permanent license plates to come first.
Yes, you are correct. The state will not issue an HOV sticker until the metal plate is issued and received first. Another sign of dysfunction and bureaucratic-centered thinking, as it would be an easy matter for the state to allow the dealerships to issue them, or even AAA.

A question I have, seeing all the stale, old blue registration stickers out there, signifying uninsured motorists driving with impunity, as well as all the single-occupant drivers skipping along in the HOV lane with their tail pipes, why not join the crowd and use the HOV lane anyway while DMV drags their feet?

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
46 Posts
Yes, you are correct. The state will not issue an HOV sticker until the metal plate is issued and received first. Another sign of dysfunction and bureaucratic-centered thinking, as it would be an easy matter for the state to allow the dealerships to issue them, or even AAA.

A question I have, seeing all the stale, old blue registration stickers out there, signifying uninsured motorists driving with impunity, as well as all the single-occupant drivers skipping along in the HOV lane with their tail pipes, why not join the crowd and use the HOV lane anyway while DMV drags their feet?
For real. Especially when I could save a hundred bucks or more over a month or two by using the HOV Bay Bridge toll lane at half cost if I got my stickers sooner. Maybe I can just get the Fastrak thing now and hope they don’t care that I’m missing the stickers...

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
192 Posts
It took mine like 3 months. I sent the application last Sept 2020 and got the decal around end of Dec.

·
Registered
635 Posts
For real. Especially when I could save a hundred bucks or more over a month or two by using the HOV Bay Bridge toll lane at half cost if I got my stickers sooner. Maybe I can just get the Fastrak thing now and hope they don’t care that I’m missing the stickers...
Alas, the bridges sport cameras, making it probably automatic for mailing out fines, and the FasTrak EV unit gets sent out only to HOV decal holders as I recall.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
96 Posts
The CA DMV Special Processing unit is really SLOW. I bought my car on 12/23. I waited until 1/11/2021 when my plate arrived. Sent the check the same day. They haven't processed the check yet. I called the DMV yesterday---after holding for 57 minutes, was told to call a different number---which is 619 657 8035. Only could leave a message. They called me back 3 hours later. The guy said, "Yeah we're understaffed. They're offering OT but no one taking it." He said since they're running behind, I should check back in 10 to 15 more business days. In effect 3 more weeks. As of 3/10/2021, he said they're working on applications received through 1/4/2021.
So, if I sent mine in on 1/11/2021, which is 7 days behind the "processing thru" date, I need to wait at least 3 more weeks.
Government as its finest......

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
465 Posts
It took mine like 3 months. I sent the application last Sept 2020 and got the decal around end of Dec.
I imagine a lot of people were like me and waited for January to try and get the stickers for as much of 2021 as possible.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV
42 Posts
Sent my application and check on January 2nd. USPS tracker shows it arrived on the 7th. Check not even cashed as of March 11th. A week ago I got hold of somebody at the DMV, not the Special Processing Unit but a general DMV person, who said they are still processing applications that arrived in December.

Glad I’m not the only one experiencing this two-month nothingness.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
96 Posts
And just to confirm how awful the CA DMV is----let's compare it to the California Franchise Tax Board---you know, the guys that are the CA equivalent of the IRS (some would even say worse than the IRS). Last Friday I completed my taxes and on Saturday, I e-filed them. Today, 5 business days later, the refund is in my bank account. This is for an agency that owes me money. With respect to the CA DMV, many of us have already written the cheque to the CA DMV and they still haven't cashed it. We are talking about cheques written 2 months ago. One would think that they'd be trying to get our money faster and trying to pay our refunds slower.
Government never ceases to amaze me.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I remember I drove 1st gen Leaf with HOV sticker off dealership parking lot in 2014.
I remember I received the HOV sticker within 2 weeks after I signed the lease in 2018.
I will remember my application check still has been cashed out 2 months after I sent out my application in 2021.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
46 Posts
Today I was shocked to see a little envelope come from my dealer. Inside was a completed application and the Blue stickers. Turns out they must have filled it out for me, even paying the $22 to DMV. I actually had just filled out the paperwork and sent DMV my check a few days ago, so I’ll have to call DMV and tell them to toss that application.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV
42 Posts
Today I was shocked to see a little envelope come from my dealer. Inside was a completed application and the Blue stickers. Turns out they must have filled it out for me, even paying the $22 to DMV. I actually had just filled out the paperwork and sent DMV my check a few days ago, so I’ll have to call DMV and tell them to toss that application.
How long ago did the dealer apply for the decal with the DMV?

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
46 Posts
How long ago did the dealer apply for the decal with the DMV?
assuming they applied for it right after I bought the car, I got my stickers in two and a half weeks. Pretty fast. This was all without having my permanent license plates yet.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV
42 Posts
It's now almost three months since I sent the application and $22 check in and still nothing. By most accounts it used to take about two weeks for processing to begin. I know Covid has slowed things down but this slow? It's getting ridiculous.

I plan to call the DMV this week. Is there any way to directly get hold of the Special Processing Unit?

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,624 Posts
Are old ones peeled off but in good shape with anything?

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV
42 Posts
Now at 93 days since I sent the application and check in to the DMV on January 2nd. Still no $22 check debited from my account and certainly no decals were delivered.

Got a DMV human on the phone today who said it appears that my application is now processing. While it wasn't her fault, she apologized but offered no explanation as to why this is taking over three months.

There have been several times in the last month while stuck in traffic that I've looked longingly at the HOV lane.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts