Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, traded my 580 hp supercharged Camaro ZL1 for a 2017 Bolt last Nov. Just got sick and tired of shifting into first gear every time traffic came to a halt, which was ALWAYS. Wanted to get state of the art, so settled on the Bolt Premier. Now, it's been recalled. LOL Thanks for the warm welcome. 0:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah. I meant the Bolt has been recalled. Never got the Camaro key recall. All they did for that was cut off the folding, switch blade opening, key for the Camaro and replace it with an old style straight in key. Actually, what was happening for the Camaro recall was that some drivers were so obese they would accidentally bump the key in the ignition while the car was moving, causing the car to halt suddenly. Me? I'm slightly overweight, but not THAT overweight. So, I passed on that recall and the dealer never protested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
Yep, traded my 580 hp supercharged Camaro ZL1 for a 2017 Bolt last Nov. Just got sick and tired of shifting into first gear every time traffic came to a halt, which was ALWAYS. Wanted to get state of the art, so settled on the Bolt Premier. Now, it's been recalled. LOL Thanks for the warm welcome. 0:)
From what little you drove of your Bolt, how do you like it so var versus the Camaro? Still fun or dud?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Yep, traded my 580 hp supercharged Camaro ZL1 for a 2017 Bolt last Nov. Just got sick and tired of shifting into first gear every time traffic came to a halt, which was ALWAYS. Wanted to get state of the art, so settled on the Bolt Premier. Now, it's been recalled. LOL Thanks for the warm welcome. 0:)
I also massively traded down horsepower, from a 550-600HP modified E63 AMG Wagon to the Bolt and I do not regret it one bit. I love the silent and drama-less acceleration (and cost savings on fuel and tires!). I found that the end the Bolt get you all the performance needed 90% of the time, as for the remaining 10% I grown old of high speed highways pulls anyway... >:)

Check for lightweight wheels and sport tires for a little edge...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Much like you guys, I sold a BMW 1M in favor of the Bolt.
It was a nice car, but just too much Drama when driving around town at 30mph - I'd prefer a little lower profile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
:)I'm older, and now smarter. I've had plenty of higher dollar, louder, faster, better looking cars. They are in my past. Last three cars, Prius Plug In, BMW i3 BEV, Chevy Bolt. The only thing I like about hot cars now, is looking at them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
I also massively traded down horsepower, from a 550-600HP modified E63 AMG Wagon to the Bolt and I do not regret it one bit. I love the silent and drama-less acceleration (and cost savings on fuel and tires!). I found that the end the Bolt get you all the performance needed 90% of the time, as for the remaining 10% I grown old of high speed highways pulls anyway... >:)
I have a German friend who would LOVE your last car, he's all about the classic European fast sleeper wagon. He, however, loves the sound that his S-class 550 sedan makes when he floors it, and he often gives me jabs that my car makes almost no sound.

He's taking care of my Bolt for the 3 months I am in Brazil for work, and I am very curious to hear his thoughts after I get back!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
Андрей Т.;393778 said:
Love my Bolt, but, luckily, I had no need to get rid of my other favorite toy.
Me too. Until they make a proper BEV convertible and I can possibly afford it, I will still be burning gas as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Me too. Until they make a proper BEV convertible and I can possibly afford it, I will still be burning gas as well.
Oooh, there’s an untapped market! Like, if VW is going to do an electric reboot of the Microbus into the Buzz, how about doing the same with the Cabriolet! Cabriozz anyone? ?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
Oooh, there’s an untapped market! Like, if VW is going to do an electric reboot of the Microbus into the Buzz, how about doing the same with the Cabriolet! Cabriozz anyone? ?
Unfortunately, a very tiny market. The world has by and large abandoned the convertible. Due to such small volumes, a BEV convertible will have to be very expensive if they build it at all. Likely if I want one in my life time, I'll have to build it myself by converting an older car.

Oh, likely they will build some BEV convertible show car concepts to get people excited, but the reality is, when people come to the dealership the money goes to practical 90+% of the time, not fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
He, however, loves the sound that his S-class 550 sedan makes when he floors it,
Don't know specifically about his ride, but because of strict European noise regulations, most of the "powerful sound" of BMW/M-B/VW-Audi performance models is actually programmed and heard through the audio system.

FWIW, many lower-price-point Asian makes just use a flapper valve which opens a tube from the air intake into the passenger compartment.

Bottom line, everyone drives with the windows tight, many engines are turbocharged, so don't have a pleasing exhaust note anyway; plus the vast majority of owners are too numbnuts to discern the difference between fake noise and fake news, so engineers phone it in.

Two other random thoughts:
1. Since EVs have noise generators, supposedly to alert pedestrians, it would be cake to program them for Ferrari V12 exhaust notes on demand.
2. There have been experiments with in-car noise cancelling systems, but in focus groups, most found them unpleasant. Too quiet is not what most are ready for at present.

jack vines
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
:)I've had a variety of cars in my life. At this point in life, I'm burnt out on cars. My desire is now on interesting, economical transportations. My last three, Prius Plug In, BMW i3 BEV, and Chevy Bolt. The Prius was a purchase and the i3 and Bolt were leases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
:)I've had a variety of cars in my life. At this point in life, I'm burnt out on cars. My desire is now on interesting, economical transportations.
For true. We're wandering OT, as is our wont here, but while in the Chevy dealer's showroom, signing up for a $43,000 EV, we were surrounded by six Corvettes. The realization hit that for only a few thousand more, we could have a base model 'Vette. It was of academic interest only, as the Corvette doesn't do a single thing we need done these days and the Bolt does many and well and stealthily.

jack vines
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top