Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, my first post here is after getting t-boned by a red-light runner.

Good news: despite the other guy going, I'm guessing, 40---and spinning me through a 540 across the intersection, I'm fine (if sore!). The good safety rating is well-deserved.

My question, though: I don't have a dash cam...but am wondering about the Bolt's front camera---seems like I read speculation somewhere about it possibly storing data silently...which, if it did, would be great to have. Anyone have any info on that?

And, for that matter---do we know anything at all about what data is logged that'd be useful in a crash analysis?

Thanks a million!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I don't think that, even if captured, the front image would show if the traffic light was green for you (your defense). A dash-cam might, but at what complexity and expense?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yikes, really sorry to hear that, but you are OK which is the important thing.

I doubt there's any data storage going on. For that they'd have to have a flash drive (presumably they wouldn't use a spinner) that is continually taking in video, which would heavily wear on the storage. It adds cost and complexity, and for what benefit? It's not needed for any of the car systems and just adds another set of problems. Further suppose they did have this unadvertised feature - you don't have any access to that footage. So unfortunately I think that won't work.

Here is a well recommended dash cam for $80 I've been considering, after reading your post I pulled the trigger and ordered it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HN0HBFG/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks---I've shopped dash cams before; just never gotten the gumption to get one---nor really wanted to clutter my field of view with a concession to the seeming-inevitability of other drivers' goofy behavior.

As for collecting evidence---that's just opportunism on my part; I think there's ample evidence in my favor, just from how the impact occurred and how the aftermath played out. More is always better, of course, and given how new and innovative this car is, I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw it out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were there no witnesses?

I have a dashcam, but I also look at cross-traffic before proceeding through any intersection. Some are difficult to see through due to objects obscuring the view.
I'm not yet sure what ended up in the police report, witness-wise; officers were on the scene before I got out of the car, so I didn't try to round up any on my own.

And, yeah, I look, too. In this case, the view to my left was obscured by a large truck in the left turn lane---and the guy who hit me blew through probably 2-3 seconds after I had the green, without braking at all, from what I could tell.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Back when I had my Plug-in-Prius I got backed into by a guy who failed to clean the snow from his rear window before backing out of a parking spot.
Luckily I had a dashcam in that car. I uploaded the video (which clearly showed his rear window completely snow covered) to his insurance carrier... they sent an adjuster the very next day, and sent the check out that day too.

Having a dashcam pretty much removes the "he said/she said" element from the equation, video doesn't lie :cool:

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Most intersections have cameras that record everything. Have no idea who has access to it. Would assume the police. Maybe through a court order?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry to hear Eeldrop, Good news is your OK!

This is something that will come and the Technology is already in our cars. With the Bolt EV already having the Cameras in the car its just a matter of some Code changes to enable the cameras to record and send the data via USB port to a Flash Drive/SSD (If we can read from our USB ports, you can write to them). You could get Front, Rear and Birds Eye view captured.

Eventually Insurance companies will start to discount for having this feature ( Dashcam in general)
https://dashcameras.net/dashcam-insurance-discount/

My daughter was side swiped by another driver who kept on going, she had no Camera and luckily only minor damage was done but had she had a camera she could have captured the incident and driver's license plate.
The next day she got a dash camera.

So GM could do this with the Bolt EV, or any of their cars with cameras, Question is when...

·
Registered
624 Posts
I don't think that, even if captured, the front image would show if the traffic light was green for you (your defense). A dash-cam might, but at what complexity and expense?
i don't think 'complexity' is a good reason to not have a dashcam. it's really not hard - run a wire from the fuse box up to the mirror. or tap into power in the mirror cluster, like another user on this forum did. or you could just power it from the 12 accessory output and have a wire hanging around. and as OP found out, it would be extremely useful to have one.

i use this one, which is small enough to not add too much more to the already huge mirror sensor cluster.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm not handy at all and even I can run wires along the weather stripping of the Bolt. No need to drill holes or anything. Just route wires in the weather stripping and you should be good. I don't even tap into any wires so for leasers, there's no excuse. With the single 12V outlet, I use a power strip with switches to turn on/off my dash cams.

The attached mirror dashcam is from my old Volt but same install on the Bolt. I circled in the mirror reflection where the rear camera was mounted (held in place with 3M Command Strips with hooks). Only difficult spot is under the steering wheel and the glove compartment. There is a crevice under both where you can run the cable and wedge in some paper or foam to hold the cable in place--no adhesive necessary. Took me literally 60 minutes to re-install my cameras in the Bolt, much easier than the 1+ hours on the Volt which had less accommodating layout.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts