Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we go from L to D "on the fly" ?

My sales rep told me that it can be done but he thinks that it is better stop the car on the side to pass from D to N and from N to L...

If we can, what is the best way to do so ?

Your POV please.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
That is nonsense! Just pull the lever back and let it go. Each time you do it will cycle from D to L to D. It is an electrical switch that controls REGEN, there are no gears.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tried to go from D to L one day and it wouldn't let me. Once I stopped I tried to go up from L to D and it went from L to N instead of to D. Not sure you can can from D to L while driving.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I do it all the time - you pull down to "toggle" the setting - pull down once - you get "L" - pull down again you get "D" - pull down again it goes back to "L"...

it's a toggle - and you pull down to switch the level of regen - it is _NOT_ a gearing change - it's a mechanical user interface that toggles a software switch that increases the amount of mechanical regen the car requests from the traction motor when decelerating

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do it all the time - you pull down to "toggle" the setting - pull down once - you get "L" - pull down again you get "D" - pull down again it goes back to "L"...

it's a toggle - and you pull down to switch the level of regen - it is _NOT_ a gearing change - it's a mechanical user interface that toggles a software switch that increases the amount of mechanical regen the car requests from the traction motor when decelerating
ahhh, that's what I was doing wrong. I wasn't just toggling the shifter, I was actually holding down the button on the left and shifting it up to D from L but when I did that, it would go to N, not D.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I toggle based on conditions and mood. It's just a software algorithm change from an electronic shifter. L is fantastic below say 30, especially windy roads or stop and go, but above that and steady driving I tend to switch to D. Precision parking is D, it's easier to use the brakes against the creep rather than the heavy regen which tends to jerk. Finally sometimes I want to relax more than the hyper control of L so put it in D and have an easy time of it.

When I first got the car I poo-pooed having the D ICE legacy but I've come to appreciate it on its own right.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Precision parking is D, it's easier to use the brakes against the creep rather than the heavy regen which tends to jerk.
That's interesting - I have the opposite experience. I find that the brakes are hard to modulate at extremely slow speeds and I love how smooth "L mode is.

With all the cars I've owned I've always prided myself on coming to a smooth stop without a jerk at the end, and "L" mode can do this better than I ever could. And not just on it's own, with the Bolt I often find myself holding the accelerator down slightly so that I can slow down very gradually in "L" mode, hoping that the person ahead will start to move before I arrive and have to come to a complete stop. So I often arrive at my stopping point with the accelerator still depressed a bit - and it's so easy to modulate it to come to a perfectly smooth stop. I love it!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just remember that your brake lights only come on if you are slowing appreciably. So as you feather the accelerator for that ultra smooth stop (which I do), glance in the rear view mirror and make sure someone is not flying up behind you unaware of your reduced speed. The brake lights activate based on the amount of deceleration as a ratio, but tend to go out when you are down under 10mph (in my experience). So be prepared to either tap your brake pedal, or take other action to avoid being hit from behind. And no, the left paddle (regen) does not activate the brake lights any more than the L mode accelerator pedal.

On my first commute in my new Bolt, someone overtook me at a light and skidded into a median to avoid me. Now admittedly, it was stop and go traffic so he had no business approaching at such a high rate of speed, and perhaps he was distracted, but I now make it a point to pay attention to the rear while I am easing to a stop. I will also tap the brake pedal if I question whether an approaching car is aware of my decreased speed.

Drive safely my friends.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The brake lights are the main reason I don't drive in L. When I'm creeping forward in slow traffic the brake lights turn off so I have to keep moving my foot back and forth between the pedals to keep them on, which is tiresome and kind of defeats the purpose of L. I think driving in D and using the regen paddle as much as possible is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Old school was to down shift a manual transmission without using the brake. Definitely no brake lights slowing down back then. Barely used the brake with a manual. Even used the hand brake on a hill while feathering the accelerator and clutch. No brake lights then. Driving in L reminds me of those days without all the work. And we have automatic brake lights to boot. Just hit the brake at the end of the regen to give a brake light out of safety and curtesy to the drivers behind me.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The "no brake light when sitting still," seems to be a real worry for some Bolters and no concern at all for others. If polling, put me in the "not concerned" column.

FWIW, I get very little reassurance in brake lights on at rest. The police are continually increasing the wattage, number of arrays and long distance focus of their cruiser warning lights and still, even when parked off the travel lane, the cruisers get hammered regularly when dozens of retina-searing red, blue and yellow lights were visible a mile ahead.

jack vines

·
Registered
204 Posts
The police are continually increasing the wattage, number of arrays and long distance focus of their cruiser warning lights and still, even when parked off the travel lane, the cruisers get hammered regularly when dozens of retina-searing red, blue and yellow lights were visible a mile ahead.
This!

I've been rear ended three times on my motorcycle. Once after I got flashing rear-facing auxiliary brake lights that strobe 4 times and stay on solid at each brake engagement.

It doesn't seem to matter if our brake lights are illuminated while stationary, if the oncoming driver is on his or her cell phone/texting/watching DVD/drunk/asleep, or all 5!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts