Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bolt 2017 - about 30,000 miles on it.

Today I have about 20 miles min (25 average) and all of sudden car stops to accelerate and with 200 feets it drop to 0 miles of range. I didn't get a chance to go to nearest charger and have to tow car to dealer. :crying:

Is it normal to have this kind of behavior and we should not even go close to 20 miles (min) left? It means start charging around last 50 miles (min) left for a safer side? Is this correct.

I had Nissan leaf and I use to dain it to last 5 miles a few times. One time I end up drain to last 2 miles and it still made it to the charger. So not sure what should it be for Bolt.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would say that your experience is unacceptable, and an engineering fault in your vehicle.

I think I would want someone to take a look at the battery to figure out what can be done (i.e. if a warranty claim on the battery is justified by a weak cell).

There are many reports of Bolt owners driving their battery down gracefully as was your experience in the LEAF. And a small number of users with a bad cell (or controller) having your experience.

While you could 'baby' your car, I would assume the problem was progressive.

And I hate to day it....the Bolt is a new product, with a few bugs to shake out, and at 30k miles you are in the forefront of testing how these cars behave as the packs age.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I agree with Frank on this one, if it said it had 25 miles range, and then suddenly dropped to zero and stopped moving it sounds like you have a problem with the battery and it needs to be diagnosed and fixed by the dealership.

Keith

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
Bolt 2017 - about 30,000 miles on it.

Today I have about 20 miles min (25 average) and all of sudden car stops to accelerate and with 200 feets it drop to 0 miles of range. I didn't get a chance to go to nearest charger and have to tow car to dealer. :crying:

Is it normal to have this kind of behavior and we should not even go close to 20 miles (min) left? It means start charging around last 50 miles (min) left for a safer side? Is this correct.

I had Nissan leaf and I use to dain it to last 5 miles a few times. One time I end up drain to last 2 miles and it still made it to the charger. So not sure what should it be for Bolt.
Sounds like you may have been hit by the low cell voltage issue.
https://electricrevs.com/2018/04/05/gm-issues-software-update-for-bolt-ev-battery-problem/

Under normal conditions, you should be able to drive it until the range estimator has been blinking "LOW".

·
Registered
158 Posts
You need to have it inspected at the dealer. The battery should not cut out with 25 miles of range showing on the display.
At the very least it should have gone in low propulsion mode enabling to continue on.
I am assuming the warning "charge soon" displayed at regular intervals between 40-32 miles...
Good battery management principles dictate never letting the battery run down lower than 10% and only when absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
634 Posts
maybe fixed with the recall on this issue???

The software update only makes the detection more easily. It may not prevent the issue. Either way, the OnStar system should be reporting the voltages to GM for review.

The dealer will probably just pull the data and send it to GM for analysis. He definitely needs to have it serviced. No vehicle should ever leave a driver stranded without warning.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I wouldn't do that in an ICE vehicle, either.
In the Bolt, it's bad for the battery, and in an ICE it's bad for the engine (sucking up any dirt at the bottom of the tank).

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
I don't think uchauhan is asking if it is a good idea. He/she is asking if it is supposed to be possible. The answer to that is yes, unless you have a defective battery.

·
Registered
63 Posts
we should not even go close to 20 miles
Had a 234 mile trip two weeks ago and, at 20 miles remaining on the max range meter, the computer stopped estimating any range at all, prompting, instead, that the propulsion power was reduced. The battery sign was also flashing red, I believe. I did not feel any difference in propulsion power, as I continued driving 60 mph on the highway. Made it home with 2% of battery remaining. That night, I did glance at gas stations with envy... :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't think uchauhan is asking if it is a good idea. He/she is asking if it is supposed to be possible. The answer to that is yes, unless you have a defective battery.
Sure, you can drive until the GoM says zero miles and the car stops. Knock yourself out.
And it's still a bad idea to do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Driving down to 20 miles or less range

I ran into this problem on my way back to Portland from Seattle. When I got to 20 miles of range, the dash read "Reduced Propulsion." This put the fear of God in me. I drove another 5-10 miles and then stopped at a Charge Point DC fast charger. Good to know that draining the battery this low is not a good idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
I ran into this problem on my way back to Portland from Seattle. When I got to 20 miles of range, the dash read "Reduced Propulsion." This put the fear of God in me. I drove another 5-10 miles and then stopped at a Charge Point DC fast charger. Good to know that draining the battery this low is not a good idea. Thanks!
I think it's probably a bad idea to drive it to the point where the car literally stops and won't move, but I wouldn't expect running it down to around 10 miles or even 5 would be particularly harmful, as long as you don't make a habit of it or leave it in that state for a prolonged period of time.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I am sure that some, if not many, can use 98% of battery power and have 5 miles range (2% of 250 miles) remaining. However, just as the "miles to go" in an ICE car may be "precise" but not "exact", so are range miles in a BEV. Not everyone can safely go 5 miles past that "display shutoff" at ~ 10 miles. Some will be towed, and I do not plan for it to be me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts