Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2023 Chevy Bolt Redline Premium EUV
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep... but not on DC L3 (yet) but any of their L2 Destination Chargers - in some cases they are in pay-to-park garages
There are a few types out there, this one I like as a small compact adapter without a dongle section. (even has a lock section)

[For J1772 EVs Only]
Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter, Max 48A & 250V - Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connectors, Destination Chargers, and Mobile Connectors
(Chevy Dude - set your feelings aside, he did have a good video)
How to charge your Chevy Bolt on the Tesla Network - YouTube (4.50 mins in)

Let me know what you think..

Automotive design Font Fender Auto part Technology

· Administrator
5,988 Posts
This topic has been discussed a LOT for MANY years on this, and virtually every EV forum. Nothing new here.

Lectron is not the only supplier of adapters, Tesla Tap was perhaps the original, but there are several others.

The fact is, AC charging, be it Tesla or J1772 have always used the same Pulse Wave Modulation methodology to negotiate current. Therefor the only obstacle to overcome is form factor. When Tesla started selling Gen 3 AC chargers, they added some signaling that make these incompatible with J1772 cars. However, the user controllable settings are rarely used to restrict these to Tesla only, and in public, Tesla only activates billing (ie Tesla only) when a site is deploying 6+ units. So, virtually any destination charger where there are less than 6 units, you can expect adapters to work just fine.

There is a word of caution, for owners of newer Bolts. With the 2022+ 48A capability, you need to ensure you get the higher amp rated adapters. Many destination chargers are 48A or better, so a 32A adapter may fail (melt) if used on a 48A EV and EVSE.

Moving this thread to the charging section.

· Registered
2 Posts
I attempted to use one in my building's garage, but the Tesla charger showed a blue light and nothing happened after that. I talked to someone who worked there, and they told me that they aren't free and that it's up to the vehicle's owner to pay Tesla for the charging session.. is that a thing?

· Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,799 Posts
I attempted to use one in my building's garage, but the Tesla charger showed a blue light and nothing happened after that. I talked to someone who worked there, and they told me that they aren't free and that it's up to the vehicle's owner to pay Tesla for the charging session.. is that a thing?
Yes it is. Gen 3 Wall connectors can be set up so that only Teslas can use them and they can bill the Tesla account when plugged in.

ga2500ev

· Registered
2 Posts
Yes it is. Gen 3 Wall connectors can be set up so that only Teslas can use them and they can bill the Tesla account when plugged in.

ga2500ev
Ah interesting, so assuming I'm able to talk to the building manager and they change the set-up to allow non-Teslas, would there be a way for me to pay to charge my Bolt? (or would I only be able to charge if they're free chargers?)

· Registered
1,566 Posts
There is a word of caution, for owners of newer Bolts. With the 2022+ 48A capability, you need to ensure you get the higher amp rated adapters. Many destination chargers are 48A or better, so a 32A adapter may fail (melt) if used on a 48A EV and EVSE.
Aside from the Mustart which seems to melt even at the rated current, are there any examples of actual failures of a J-1772 connector due to excess current?

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Aside from the Mustart which seems to melt even at the rated current, are there any examples of actual failures of a J-1772 connector due to excess current?
Yes, due to defective Rema handles (supposedly bad crimps): Blink / Rav4 Blows Out a Contactor Pin (with gory pics) - My Nissan Leaf Forum on the lousy gen 1 Blink EVSEs + others that got recalled.

Their band aid was to turn down their output to 24 amps: Carcharging/Blink Reduces resedential EVSE's to 24Amp. - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

Those gen 1 Blink EVSEs (from Ecotality that went bankrupt then Car Charging Group bought out the carcass then later renamed themselves to Blink) IIRC were part of some EV project: ECOtality Level 2 charger : Blink - My Nissan Leaf Forum. So, people used them with '11 and '12 Leafs which only pulled 16 amps max at 240 volts. Gen 1 Volt didn't even go that high

These problems reared their heads once people hooked them up to higher max amperage OBC cars. (Tesla-powered) Gen 2 Rav4 EV was 40 amp max at 240 volts, just like the Model S of the time. There was also the lease only Fit EV: Honda.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts