Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Baited Question:

The Answer for me is Yes...

New to ChevyBolt.org and new to the EV World but after my 2004 Tahoe w/ 330K miles started slipping in 2nd it was time for something newer.

Typical week- I drive 25-40 miles a day on a good day. With at least one bad day which is more like 160 miles but never back to back. Avg 1500 miles a month.

I'm in the business of property management with a territory that spans 50 miles north and 50 miles south.

I have never needed to charge "On the Go"

I'm able to charge between 9-12 hours a night (6pm-6am) with longer charges on weekends "sleeping in"

Not a bit of range anxiety so if you are looking at going electric- super worried at first but this works!

A BIG personal plus for me due to gas savings- I was able to buy a used Bolt and keep my Tahoe turning it into a project & save money each month. I love cars!

Thank You Chevy!

·
Registered
492 Posts
... and if needed, $4.50 for 15 minutes on a 50KW DC Fast Charge will get you 12.5KWh (20% battery)... :)

Do you have a 240v outlet in the garage? Some are saying you can use the OEM EVSE on 240v with just a plug adapter. Should get you about 3KW charge rate.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If I lived somewhere with a really moderate climate, I think I could easily get by just charging on Level 1. Being able to cold soak the interior with full blast AC without depleting the battery with Level 2 preconditioning is really REALLY nice though, and I don't think I could give that up.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I worked out some time back that thus far, I'd never have run out of charge if I'd charged on Level-1; sometimes it would take multiple days to catch up, but it'd be fine.

That said, I have many things in my life that I enjoy but could manage without, including the Bolt itself. I have a JuiceBox Pro because I can. It's also good for preconditioning, which can draw a good deal more than the 1.44 kW the stock charger can provide.

Here's a longer answer I wrote on this topic from another thread:

I also have a JuiceBox Pro 40 that I'm very happy with.

I also have an adapter dongle that lets me use the stock EVSE at 240V on 14-30 & 14-50 outlets (as well as a 10-30 to 14-50 adapter and a TT-30 to 5-20 adapter). It all sits in the subtrunk with the EVSE for emergencies.

I'd done the math and worked out that I could get by just fine using the stock EVSE at 120V (sometimes it'd take a few days to get back to a “full” [hilltop] charge, but I'd never run down to zero).

So why buy a JuiceBox Pro?

Because I can!

For one thing, all the usage data is pretty interesting. Here are a few examples (gathered sitting in my living room while writing this post):
  • I can see that when I got home today, it drew 120 watts for 48 minutes. I'd guess it was doing battery conditioning, but it's interesting that it doesn't always do this.
  • A few days ago, we decided on a whim to take a road trip. I'd already done some driving that day and the car was down to 82%, so I used the myChevrolet app to tell the car to start charging. In the 18 minutes between deciding to go and getting out of the house, the JuiceBox delivered 2.152 kWh to the Bolt, adding about 3% of extra charge for the trip.
  • On that same road trip, I drove 156.8 miles and the Bolt told me I'd used 36.0 kWh, but charging required 39.05 kWh (taking 5 hours, 21 minutes, 28 seconds at an average of 7.29 kW), which seems to indicate 92.2% charging efficiency. After the charge was complete, the Bolt then used 0.59 kW over 20 minutes performing battery conditioning.
As noted in the data above, sometimes it's nice to be able to add a few kW relatively quickly. There's never been a time when I truly needed to add charge somewhat quickly but there have been several occasions when I've been glad that I could.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have gotten by for a few months on level 1 as my wife's commute is 6 miles a day. But winter is coming here in Western PA and the ability to preheat the car is important. There will be road trips and because we can, today we are getting a Chargepoint home installed to a upgraded to 40amp circuit in our garage.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Typical week- I drive 25-40 miles a day on a good day. With at least one bad day which is more like 160 miles but never back to back. Avg 1500 miles a month.

I have never needed to charge "On the Go". I'm able to charge between 9-12 hours a night (6pm-6am) with longer charges on weekends "sleeping in"
That 238 mile (EPA) range of the Bolt EV allows you to easily make that 160 mile trip. Gaining 60 range miles per 12 hour (AC Level 1 @ 12 amps) plug-in, gives you more range miles than your usual daily drive, filling up the reserve range on the weekend. This works for many, and I am glad it works for you. Congrats on the new (to you) Bolt EV!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yep, I'm living with L1. Spending $2k to add L2 to my garage doesn't make financial sense. I thought it would be necessary, but it turns out it's not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... and if needed, $4.50 for 15 minutes on a 50KW DC Fast Charge will get you 12.5KWh (20% battery)... :)

Do you have a 240v outlet in the garage? Some are saying you can use the OEM EVSE on 240v with just a plug adapter. Should get you about 3KW charge rate.
Unfortunately I don't have 240v in the garage. It's upstairs in the laundry room and so is the breaker panel. Maybe one day I'll see the need but like some have said I'll just go down the street to a 50kw DC (at the Mall) and have dinner. In the meantime the Tahoe (Snake oil fixed the slip for now lol) will do in case something last minute comes up and I don't have the charge/time to get there.

I just wished I had Solar as SDGE rates are nuts at .288 kwh and jumps up from there over a baseline of around 350 kwh (Typical household use for me is around 260kwh a month before the Bolt)

I bought a wifi Power strip to monitor my usage and help calculate what this Bolt is gonna cost in electricity https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-Power-Strip-TP-Link/dp/B07G95FFN3

I'm even becoming energy conscious of how much I use my laptop battery haha

·
Registered
63 Posts
I "could" make it work as my commute to work is only 5 miles round-trip, but the car is SO MUCH FUN, I've put 900 miles in 3 weeks of pleasure driving. I chose to have a Level 2 ChargePoint and don't regret the investment.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Since all of our use is local and short trips, we could easily have lived with the Level 1 charger, including the winter cabin preconditioning losses.

Since our utility company was offering a free L2 charger if we'd just pay $165 for installation, we went with it.

jack vines

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just wished I had Solar as SDGE rates are nuts at .288 kwh and jumps up from there over a baseline of around 350 kwh (Typical household use for me is around 260kwh a month before the Bolt)
We had 2 Leafs and a single 120v outlet and it worked just fine for us, but there was occasional jockeying for it based on whose car was lowest. I got a 240v box because it was easy to run the line myself and the unit was "cheap". I traded my Leaf for the Bolt because the bigger battery serves us better in a family-car scenario, but I believe we could still do fine with a single 120v point if only because I would not need it as frequently as she does.

One thing to consider with rates that high is that a 240v unit allegedly makes more efficient use of the electricity that runs through it. I'm not an expert and "I read it on the internet" but you might look into that possibility. There's probably a "depends on the device" variability in that as well.

Just to brag a bit, a recent City memo shows that we pay about 5 cents per KwH and it's 100% backed by Renewable Energy Certificates.

Attachments

·
Registered
960 Posts
The electricity cost for local use of our Bolt is so miniscule, we've never bothered to calculate it and certainly not to worry about it.

And FWIW, there is another thread here debunking the myth it somehow costs significantly less to charge on 220-volt.

jack vines

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok... I only need the provided L1 and use it 20a. Drive about 15 miles weekdays, bit more on weekends. Charge about 2 hours, M-F, 10 to 12 hours weekends(overnight). Haven't changed from the default, 100%.

Nothing I read from Chevy tells me to do different, or warns me otherwise. Love my car.

Alright, I'm ready...How much harm am I doing?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok... I only need the provided L1 and use it 20a. Drive about 15 miles weekdays, bit more on weekends. Charge about 2 hours, M-F, 10 to 12 hours weekends(overnight). Haven't changed from the default, 100%.

Nothing I read from Chevy tells me to do different, or warns me otherwise. Love my car.

Alright, I'm ready...How much harm am I doing?
If you are using the provided Level 1, you are not charging at 20A. You are charging at either 8A or 12A and 120V (960 watts or 1440 watts). The default is 8A, unless you change it on the Bolts Energy tab in the Infotainment display. You can double that charge rate - still 12A, but at 240V (2880 watts) simply by adding an adaptor to the end of the provided cord and plugging your connector into a 240V outlet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been using the L1 charger without issue since I got the car in May with an average 30 mile round trip commute. However I am wondering if it will be sufficient for winter. To partially mitigate winter concerns I'll finally have the garage cleared out enough to park 2 cars in there, and hopefully require less power to pre-condition in winter plus no ice/frost on the windows. I do plan on installing a L2 eventually, but I currently do not have any panel space for a new breaker.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've been using the L1 charger without issue since I got the car in May with an average 30 mile round trip commute. However I am wondering if it will be sufficient for winter. To partially mitigate winter concerns I'll finally have the garage cleared out enough to park 2 cars in there, and hopefully require less power to pre-condition in winter plus no ice/frost on the windows. I do plan on installing a L2 eventually, but I currently do not have any panel space for a new breaker.
How cold is winter for you? In the worst part of winter (-20s F here) with heat, I get roughly half the EPA rated range. Put another way, for the same commute, it will take roughly twice as long to recharge. I assume you are charging for about 8 hours a day to make up for your 30 mile commute. Do you have 16 hours a day?

If your winters aren't that cold, say they stay above 0 F, estimate 2/3 of EPA range, so it would take half again as long to charge. 8 hours turns into 12 hours.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I do plan on installing a L2 eventually, but I currently do not have any panel space for a new breaker.
There are double breakers that can free up slots in your panel if it's designed for them. I've got the same issue where my panel is completely full, and it has some double breakers installed already. I bought a gas dryer though, so that whole circuit can be repurposed.

Also, converting an existing unused circuit to 240v is as simple as disconnecting the neutral wire and attaching it to the other "hot" phase. It wouldn't meet code unless every outlet on the circuit was changed to a 240v receptacle.

I've got a single 20a 120v outlet in my garage which would be easy to convert to 240v since there's nothing else on that circuit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Around here we have Time Of Use metering. There is an overnight window where the cost of electricity is about CDN$0.069 per kWh. It's more than double that during peak times. Since we regularly do 600+ km weekend trips, with overnight charging at the destination, you can be sure that I want to get all of the recharging in the off-peak pricing window. I couldn't do that on L1.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts