Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I think so. You can run A/C when the vehicle is charging, in fact, that is when you are supposed to cool it down before driving on a hot day, do it before you "unplug" (so you don't use your battery power). So I bet you can if you set the A/C to on, turn the EV off, exit & lock the EV. Then through the myChevrolet app via "Remote Commands", "Precondition" (then "CONTINUE"), enter your "OnStar PIN", and "Preconditioning" should be "in progress" and then "Succeeded". I think in addition to cooling the warm batteries, you also cool the cabin (Bolt Owner's Manual p. 187). I think this is a timed function and runs for 5 minutes and shuts off if the car is not unlocked by then.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
You can also activate pre-conditioning from the key remote itself if you want.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
You can remote start the A/C. You can do it with the key fob when you are near the car by locking the doors, then holding down the remote start button for four seconds. It will then turn on the the climate control system and do whatever you have it set for. You can also turn it on from anywhere in the world, but you need to download the MyChevrolet ap to your phone and you need to have an OnStar subscription for your car to do that.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I do it all the time.

Yesterday, 95 degrees, I stopped by the grocery store for a couple of items. An S-class $100K+ Mercedes pulled into the next space. The wife told her husband, you stay with the car to keep it cool. The electric fan on the M-B is as noisy as a helicopter lifting off and requires that big ICE running just to rotate the small AC compressor. I walked away from a totally silent Bolt and it was cool when I returned five minutes later. The range displayed had not dropped at all.

jack vines

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
I do it all the time.

Yesterday, 95 degrees, I stopped by the grocery store for a couple of items. An S-class $100K+ Mercedes pulled into the next space. The wife told her husband, you stay with the car to keep it cool. The electric fan on the M-B is as noisy as a helicopter lifting off and requires that big ICE running just to rotate the small AC compressor. I walked away from a totally silent Bolt and it was cool when I returned five minutes later. The range displayed had not dropped at all.

jack vines
I do the same thing if I have to park in the sun on a hot day and I know I'll be back shortly; get out, lock the car, use the key fob to precondition the car as I'm walking away. Sits happily in the parking lot and when I return the cabin is still comfortable the way I left it.

Getting back to the OP question, I can't say that I've gone out of my way to try this but I'm sure I've left my wife and daughter in the car (with it on and HVAC ruining) and walked away with the key fob in my pocket. My wife likes to lock the car doors when sitting in a parking lot so I'm sure we've done this scenario at some point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts